cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

And so it goes, the cycle in Elkhart IN

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Thor reports sales and earnings drop, plant extended seasonal plant closures.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog
23 REPLIES 23

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Yea John S. you are right about the new trend and I am one of them also, 5 years ago I bought my 08 Bounder 32W with 2 slides and very happy with it and still think its large and could never go larger.

I have talked with many that also have down sized and see the younger/newer RVers in smaller RV's than was even 5 to 10 years ago, the big trend now is buying school busses and converted them, 10 years ago they were frowned upon now its the cool thing to do, my children that are now young adults said my motorhome is lame but think the schoolies {converted school bus} are cool and want one.

Trends are changing fast now and even the internet is killing cable/satellite TV in just a few short years..

:C

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought my first coach a Foretravel when I was 39. I kept class a Foretravels for 17 years ending up with a 42 foot double slide. I covered 370k miles in them. Someone called and asked if it was for sale and I said give me a number he did and I sold it. I now have a 29 foot super c style on a F550. I will not have a large coach again. Five of my Foretravel friends also downsized as well. The lure and expense of a large class a is much more then my C. No need to tow but I can tow 12k pounds if I choose. I figure I was early and am early again. I was castigated for saying Fleetwood country coach and Monaco would all go bankrupt. The writing was on the wall. Right now my age group late 50s are not buying big class a units. I think we will have a slowdown followed by a recession. It will get ugly again. Remember when people were selling because of fuel prices. That is minuscule compared to the over supply and poor quality units being put out. The next generation will do their research and some company will step up and have the quality they are looking for infact some are doing it right now.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I just wonder what kind of business plan they have that keeps producing thousands and thousands of units. . . so many that I wonder how they can possibly market them all. We spent the summer in Elkhart and every empty lot around the county is filled with trailers and all manor of RVs. They just overly saturate the market. . . and knowing the quality they put forth, I wonder how many will be worthless after the sit the winter in that field. I just don't see how they can move that many units. Every RV dealer we pass by has a lot full of RVs. It's like they have no clue that the industry has cycles. . . they just keeping building, building, building, until things really slow down. Then they cry.

Dale

Scottiemom Could not agree with you more
I to was in the RV mecca this summer and feel sorry for the workers there. The industry cares no more about them than us the consumer.

The rv industry is today`s "used car salesman".
Read, greedy and no respect for there audience.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe they can ship some of the excess RV's to California to replace some of the 10,000+ homes destroyed by the fires.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I just wonder what kind of business plan they have that keeps producing thousands and thousands of units. . . so many that I wonder how they can possibly market them all. We spent the summer in Elkhart and every empty lot around the county is filled with trailers and all manor of RVs. They just overly saturate the market. . . and knowing the quality they put forth, I wonder how many will be worthless after the sit the winter in that field. I just don't see how they can move that many units. Every RV dealer we pass by has a lot full of RVs. It's like they have no clue that the industry has cycles. . . they just keeping building, building, building, until things really slow down. Then they cry.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
steved28 wrote:
I'm not sure about others, but I didn't buy my first "RV" until I was in my forties. Prior to that we were tenting, backpacking etc. So it may be a little premature to predict the Millennial market just yet.

53 for me, still have it.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Just take a look at Craigslist there is a huge number of newer used RV's for sale, this to hurts new sales.

I keep my RV at home but I have noticed here in Vegas places to store your RV is full and I suspect many just want out from under the debt since they dont use it much.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
steved28 wrote:
I'm not sure about others, but I didn't buy my first "RV" until I was in my forties. Prior to that we were tenting, backpacking etc. So it may be a little premature to predict the Millennial market just yet.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

steved28
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago has strategically realigned towards the upcoming mellinials, good or bad. The high end motorhomes are gone, the mid level are now top end and only limited models (Forza, Horizon). Grand Tour, Tour, Journey all Dealer Stock sales only. The focus is on Class B and towables.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be the lousy product they make.

Bruce_Brown
SidecarFlip wrote:
All industries are cyclical. Maybe the saturation point has been reached.

Agreed.

There was a lot of pent up money waiting to be spent, which happened starting Jan 2017. Every industry I work with had trouble keeping up with demand last year.

The foolish ones thought it would last forever, they expanded and spent accordingly.

The smarter ones saw it for what it was, a quick release of a bunch of money, and they planned accordingly.

My real job is industrial sales. In 2017 my sales were up almost 30% over 2016. Thankfully I work for a GREAT company who asks us for realistic numbers, not an unrealistic sunshine and roses report. When I did my 2018 sales projections I said I'd be down 20% vs 2017. YTD I'm down 17%.

While things today are certainly better than they were, 2017 was an unusual spending event that was 8 years in the making.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Everytime I drive by an auto/truck or RV dealership I wonder who is going to buy the inventory I see sitting!
Go by any private auto repair shop and there are so many vehicles there that don't seem to be there for repair with many for sale. There is so much used vehicle inventory.
I watch boat ads on craigslist and the prices exceed common sense. A new $10 K boat 10 years ago is selling for $40-50 K now. A friend bought 2 new 300 hp outboard engines, list price was $40,000.

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
Many Millennials have the attitude that life owes them something. They go to school on their parents money and student loans, don't work during college and get a degree in a field that leaves them unemployable because it's an easy A and leaves them plenty of time to party. After graduation, they realize their degree is worthless and demand $15 and hour to flip hamburgers. Me! Me! Me! I'm tired of hearing the whining! I'll take my medication now.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl