cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water leak near city water hook up

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very slow drip,drip, drip coming out of a hole labeled 'vent' which is situated close to where my city water hose hooks in....I have a 2017 Mobile Suites. This is very frustrating because I do not understand what is causing it. Can anyone advise/educate me ? I think this could be a more serious problem if I hit freezing weather. Thanks much
25 REPLIES 25

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
I may just end up letting water tank fill periodically and then dumping it. I think it took about 3-4 weeks before water came out of the water tank vent...I can probably live with that for a while, if you are right...hopefully this isn't a deteriorating situation...

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
The leaking problem and O-rings are in the valve body next to the tee. These are not typical O-rings. When I dismantled mine to look at possibility of rebuild kit nothing stood out as a problem. I replaced my entire assembly. According to the Kant leak site they state you should never switch that diverter valve with pressure in the system-- of course they don't want to accept responsibility. I now have a water shut off right at the water inlet and open the two low water drains for a second to relieve pressure in the system before changing the diverter valve. I mentioned I purchased one assembly to solve my problem and carry one new spare as Lazy Days in Florida was out of stock. These are commonly used on motor homes as well. Two yrs. ago the cost was $163.00. In my case I needed right away as I was leaving for home in Canada. CAUTION be careful not to drop seal off those PEX fittings. On one incredibly difficult lines to reconnect without dropping the seal I cut the line and rejoined with a Shark Bite joiner. I don't believe there is a cheap fix or healing procedure for your problem.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The center brass connection was loose on mine. Tightened and now all is well. It was a slooooow leak!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
shug23, in addition to the shut off valve on the tank fill line, I removed the Anderson KantLeak valve and put Teflon tape on all the male fittings. The female line fittings can be hand tighten just so much before they jump threads and leak. With the Teflon tape on the fittings the female connectors can be hand tighten enough to stop the leaking. Again, it took me some time to figure this all out but I no longer have any leaks from the Anderson KantLeak valve.

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
so, I put shut-off valve on the line and the leak into the water tank stopped; so it is definitely NOT the pump . Unfortunately, a leak has now surfaced by the diverter switch....hopefully I can just tighten a fitting that has come loose...I can't tell where it is coming from today because the drip is so slow AND we are about to get slammed by some rain, here in Florida...(I guess if the 5th wheel tips over, I wont have to worry about the leak)..Will look at when weather clears

TazFord
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
On 2 trailers I've found hose directly on the backside of the city water connection to be extremely loose and leaking so anyone finding this thread might check that as well. There should be a panel that unscrews to gain access - often from inside the main storage bay of your fiver.

Yes, I second that. I had same situation on our new Starcraft. The hoses they use inside are so stiff and have to much memory as if they are still wanting to recoil themselves around a spool. So the hose itself inadvertently unthreaded the water connections inside the trailer. First I thought it was a slide out leak after a terrible downpour, thankfully not. I fixed the situation by unscrewing the connection, then I twisted the hose counter-clockwise and while holding that position with the hose I reattached it to the connection and it almost threaded itself when I released the tension. No more leaks now.
Life long camper, First time Fiver
2018 Starcraft Solstice 29BHSโ€”2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
honestly, this is exactly where I am heading toward...I think it will work and doesn't seem particularly hard to do....And if it doesn't, a check valve on the water pump will be my second step...

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
I went through the same problem as you. It may be the water pump check valve but I doubt it very much. The KantLeak water valve assembly is notorious for leaking. I chased the leak problem for some time. I finally added a shut off/on water valve on the water tank line. When on park water I shut the valve off, when on tank and pump water I open the valve. I was going to put a check valve in on the input line to the pump but found it easier to put the on/off valve on the water line.

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
I will try the suggestion of using the pump tomorrow.....Thank you and to everyone else who has responded....Will give updates as appropriate for the next person who has similar problem

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
shug23 wrote:
ugh....my hopes have been dashed for a quick fix.....I continue to drip out of the water tank drain hose...so at least the problem has been identified, if not the cause....I am dripping about a quart every 3 hours...so it must either be the pump or the valve that switches from city water to tank water....As I look from the outside at the switch that switches city water vs tank, there is a Philips head screw that looks like I could remove and the control switch would come off....Now I am wondering if there is any gain to doing that and then perhaps find something to tighten up

Probably not likely. If there is a problem in that valve, I suspect it would need new o-rings. you would need to turn off the city water, and release the pressure, or you may have a geyser.... ๐Ÿ™‚ Have you tried partially filling your fresh water tank, turning off the city water, switching to "dry camping mode" and running the water pump for a few minutes? As others have suggested, that can sometimes flush things out that may be keeping the valve open a little bit.

Failing that, I'd probably suggest asking around for the name of a mobile tech that can come out and take a peek. I wouldn't think it would take long for someone who deals with it everyday to fix it.

Alternatively, there probably is no big rush to get it fixed. Just leave the tank drain open for now. It's not hurting anything, unless the CG you are at now meters the water you use.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
ugh....my hopes have been dashed for a quick fix.....I continue to drip out of the water tank drain hose...so at least the problem has been identified, if not the cause....I am dripping about a quart every 3 hours...so it must either be the pump or the valve that switches from city water to tank water....As I look from the outside at the switch that switches city water vs tank, there is a Philips head screw that looks like I could remove and the control switch would come off....Now I am wondering if there is any gain to doing that and then perhaps find something to tighten up

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
On 2 trailers I've found hose directly on the backside of the city water connection to be extremely loose and leaking so anyone finding this thread might check that as well. There should be a panel that unscrews to gain access - often from inside the main storage bay of your fiver.

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
So, I toggled the switch which takes the water source and either sends it to my fresh water tank or to my fixtures....I did this about 4 or 5 times and heard the 'click' each time... I kept the drain for the tank open during the entire process....Then left the switch on the city water setting and waited to see what happened/ My luck had it that it rained all day yesterday . Anyway, I put a measuring cup under the drain last night and this morning had about 12 ounces of water in the cup....I am hoping that this was residual water still seeping out and that perhaps the problem has been solved. I will watch it today and report back...I may still look into adding that extra calve into the water pump flow, just as a precaution. Our 5th wheel was in storage for almost 6 months, so I suppose the non-use of water might have dried a seal out or something โ€ฆ.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Sometimes simply using the water pump (disconnect from city water) for a day will clear any obstruction that is allowing city water to backflow into the freshwater tank.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos