Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

think i finally found our tt, thoughts?

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2019/travel-trailer/transcend/floorplans
the 32bhs
I can't seem to find my truck specifications or able to attach an easy link. but I have a 2014 f150 v6 eco boost 3.5l which states I can pull 9200 full, I also have a bigger tow package, will be traveling with wife behind in expedition and kids in there.
36 REPLIES 36

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
wut? lol

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
deltabravo wrote:
2Rad4U wrote:
Way too heavy for that truck. Way to heavy

Yep, And too small of an engine.

^ Wut?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Maximum payload for a 2014 F-250 3.5L Ecoboost runs from 1,450 (Supercrew 4x4) to 2,687 (Regular Cab 4x2). The gross trailer weight is 9,295 which is probably going to be closer to the "real" weight of your trailer after it's loaded with stuff including battery, hitch components, etc. Your tongue weight is going to be closer to 1,100 lbs (approx. 12.5% of 9,295) so depending on which configuration of F-150 you have there may be very little payload family and other items in the truck.

Deuce222
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-trailers/bullet/floorplans/308bhs-travel-trailer/
I wonder if this might be better weight wise?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing to do is to rent a similar size, weight and model trailer for a week or so.

You learn a lot about how you think it handles, before you spend the big bucks.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
atreis wrote:
Clicck wrote:
My camper has 28" wide bunks and they are fine for kids and adults.

I suspect this has to do with the size of kids and adults. My wife and I both are fine on the bunks in our trailer, as are our high school aged kids. We're relatively small though, and fit and flexible. I'm 5'7" and weigh 160 lbs. My wife is smaller than me, and the kids are similar. People who are bigger or who have more trouble unfolding themselves after getting onto the bunk may have more trouble. Different strokes for different folks.

IMO, the F-150 is likely too small for that trailer. (And this from someone that has been towing with minivans for decades. Heh.)

I'm 6'3" and 250lb, I've slept in our 28x75 bunks and it works fine. Then again I've slept in my 50x85 tent with my son and both of our full hiking backpacks so being in tight spaces doesn't bother me.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
be careful about the REAL tongue weight. 728lbs empty, now add battery(s), propane etc. etc. Our trailer had about a 750lb dry tongue weight which I verified. With 4GC, full propane, loaded up with all our stuff tongue weight is 1250lbs. With a full fresh water tank, 1350lbs. It adds up in a hurry.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford truck you have is a good unit---however think about these things;
The Ford will have 1/2 ton tires, wheels, brakes, and running gear. The tires alone will have pretty pronounced "squirm" from the weight. Do you have a good Tow/Haul mode that will respond enough to hold back the rig on a 6 or 7 percent grade for miles?
Then having to take two rigs---? How are you going to be able to hear "Are we there yet?" Or my favorite-"Daddy, I gotta p##." That's right after drinking a 78 oz. burpy drink.
Lastly, your truck will TOW it, but will it be safe and enjoyable. Take it from one that literally flew through the air during a travel trailer towed by a 3/4 ton diesel rollover. Size Matters!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is not great having to travel in two vehicles. Why not get a big enough crewcab truck so everyone can travel together? Since you are planning in advance (good job doing that, by the way, too few people plan ahead!), can you work out something with a new, larger truck?

If you are going to take two vehicles anyways, why not look at Class A? The second vehicle takes the place of the towed vehicle, making travel easier.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
WorldRadio778 wrote:
That's a nice TT but I have to agree with the others. You need more truck. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
Same here, only because I've made the same mistake of two much trailer for a half ton. Made for a miserable long distance trip. Upgraded to a three quarter ton.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Clicck wrote:
My camper has 28" wide bunks and they are fine for kids and adults.

I suspect this has to do with the size of kids and adults. My wife and I both are fine on the bunks in our trailer, as are our high school aged kids. We're relatively small though, and fit and flexible. I'm 5'7" and weigh 160 lbs. My wife is smaller than me, and the kids are similar. People who are bigger or who have more trouble unfolding themselves after getting onto the bunk may have more trouble. Different strokes for different folks.

IMO, the F-150 is likely too small for that trailer. (And this from someone that has been towing with minivans for decades. Heh.)
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

WorldRadio778
Explorer
Explorer
That's a nice TT but I have to agree with the others. You need more truck. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Back to the intended use and duty cycle thing.
Presume based on your description of adding a chase vehicle that your typical use will be a couple trips to the northern Cheeseland a year and not back n forth x country through the mountains etc.
Cheeseland = eco boost fine
X country = ecoboost ok too but your wife will kick your @ss after spending 30 hours with 3 kids in HER car!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
9200 x .15 = 1380 before 100 lbs of weight distributing hitch and dog and whatever aftermarket **** is on the f150. pleanty of motor not enough payload. my 2016 with the 5.0 has 1850 payload and I would still be leary of this. not because it couldn't do it but because it couldn't do it comfortable and that's with 450 lbs more payload (although my family cancels out that 450 lbs with the wife and kids and their ****) you are close but over IMO. if you want to stay with a half ton an f150 with max cargo options will handle this although at that point a 3/4 ton is roughly the same price.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....