cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Propane Fire Pits

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
Will most campgrounds that do allow wood camp fires let you use a portable propane fire pit.

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
14 REPLIES 14

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
DarthMuffin wrote:
During fire bans, most campgrounds I have been at have disallowed propane pits too. Not because they're dangerous or covered by the ban, but because other people see them and think it's OK for them to have a normal fire. So, fun ruined by idiots as usual.

Never been an issue for me, they start wood fires and the camp host normally lets then know - no wood fires.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a New Frontier Campfire, now defunct. It was one of the earliest and best.
I got my first one around 1995. I started selling them around 2005, went to Quartzite one year. Sold thousands over the years. Many of our friends have them too and when itโ€™s cold enough, we will put three close together for the group.

I still do real fires sometimes but the no smoke is great and turning it off and going inside, no fuss is the best part.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Camp Chefs Redwood Portable Propane Fire Pits. One for our decking at home and one for our motorhome. We converted the one at home to natural gas. The one at home we use every evening during the winter. Those little fire pits sure put out the heat. We never had a problem using the fire pit at RV Parks. I guess if you can use a propane BBQ why not a propane fire pit.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I was skeptical that the portable pit would be good enough to throw heat for a group sitting around it. This past summer we have used it during fire bans (was allowed) and also in Jasper when we were unable to get a site with a fire pit. To be honest it was nice not having to haul/split wood and when folks were tired...just turn the knob, and 5 mins to cool down and put away! In fact we used just over half a 20LB tank in a week having a 90 min fire each night. Also perfect in damp conditions when a fire is a hassle to start and keep going. Just drag the LP one under the awning and have a nice fire or into a vented dining tent (obviously take precautions). We really enjoy ours, and plumbed an eternal LP connector to run off the onboard tanks also.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarthMuffin wrote:
During fire bans, most campgrounds I have been at have disallowed propane pits too. Not because they're dangerous or covered by the ban, but because other people see them and think it's OK for them to have a normal fire. So, fun ruined by idiots as usual.

Now...that is discouraging!! ๐Ÿ˜ž and :M

We love our propane fire pit - which actually puts out enough heat to keep us warm around it and roast marshmallows and hot dogs - just like a "real fire".

We make a special effort to fit it into an RV storage compartment and bring along a 5 gallon propane tank for it.

...Those doggone as usual non-think idiots.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Like everyone said yes on the propane fire pit. Tip: awning out cool evenings and the fire pit going will keep the chill off while you set out and enjoy the evening.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
we would use them in our area of the country. they are about 120 dollars and we used to let the kids make smores over them. you get a little marshmallow on them but what the heck, they are just kids

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to sell them. Sold thousands over the years. Occasionally, under extremely dry conditions, all open flame devices are banned. Ours had an optional WOK so was technically a cooking device.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
When there is a total fire ban here on Vancouver Island with all our forests, propane units can still be used.

Navy_E-8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Wanted to make sure before I go out and purchase one....

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Many campgrounds allow propane fires while they are banning wood fires.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE