cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CO 9 to Breckenridge, CO

mikefos
Explorer
Explorer
How's CO 9 from Fairplay to Breckenridge, Colorado? Towing a 35' TT. Thinking about visiting an old friend in Blue River, CO, July 2019. Thanks.
Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch
8 REPLIES 8

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. Keep the posts coming, please. Also, ya'll are correct about Blue River. It is just past Breck. We worked at the Frisco Campgrounds for 3 years and have been back almost every year since hiking and bicycle riding. We just haven't towed over Hoosier Pass in years and then it was with a 23' travel trailer. There is a Blue River Campground on Hwy 9 going out of Silverthorne, but there is a small community of Blue River past Breck.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
fanrgs wrote:
There is no Blue River, Colorado, . . .
Blue River is indeed a town named Blue River south of Breckenridge. There are even City Limit signs on both ends of town.

To the OP: there are several hairpin curves on the north side of the pass with recommend speeds of 10 MPH to 15 MHP. Since these are just over the top of the pass, you should just keep you speed in check until you are past them.

Blue River, Colorado - zoom in to see the Pass and Hair pin turns
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
There is no Blue River, Colorado, . . .
Blue River is indeed a town named Blue River south of Breckenridge. There are even City Limit signs on both ends of town.

To the OP: there are several hairpin curves on the north side of the pass with recommend speeds of 10 MPH to 15 MHP. Since these are just over the top of the pass, you should just keep you speed in check until you are past them.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I go over it in both directions with my 36ft toy hauler around 17K pounds all the time No issues at all in either direction. You will be fine.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
We are towing a 30' Arctic Fox fifth wheel (heavy) w/Ford F250 diesel. We are used to mountain driving. We have towed over Hoosier Pass in CO but NOT with this camper and we were northbound. In summer we need to go SOUTH from Breckenridge, CO on Hwy 9S, down to Hwy 24 E to Divide, CO. This post addressed northbound traffic. We remember going north wasn't so bad, but not sure about south (switchbacks). If it's a bad idea, we can take I-70 E towards Denver and then I-25 south. Suggestions and advice appreciated. THX

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
There is no Blue River, Colorado, but there is a Blue River that flows from Hoosier Pass to the Colorado River at Kremmling. CO 9 follows that river to Kremmling.

Going north from Fairplay to Breck, there is a series of hairpin curves on the downhill side of the pass that require downshifts and slow speeds. I use my exhaust brake on them when towing.

Breck has slow speed limits, roundabouts, and watchful cops. I have been ticketed for speeding there. 'Nough said!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mbiviano wrote:
You'll be fine. I tow my 5er over it without issues.

^^^^^ This. A non-problem. One of the easier passes by Colorado standards.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine. I tow my 5er over it without issues.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog