cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 F250 rear leaf spring replacement question.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
My left rear leaf spring is bent near the front shackle causing the left side to be 1-1/2" lower than the right side. A bad left lean when the TC is on the truck. Has anybody replaced or able to recommend a heavier duty spring, F350, F450, aftermarket, that is a direct replacement for the springs I have. I don't care about ride smoothness. I want better TC load handling capacity.

12/20/2018
Video of new springs,

12/21/2018
Video Of New Frame Shackle Mounts and Shackles.

All the parts are in. This baby happens Saturday.
33 REPLIES 33

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Loaded the truck camper and it rides really great. Much less bounce and sway. Airbags need 2 1/2" spacers to remount. I'll have it mounted a few days and keep testing.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
great!
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got the springs installed. Truck rides nearly level. Not very noticeably rougher on the ride. I'll load 5he truck camper tomorrow and see how it rides. Best part, we took less than 4 hours to do the swap.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Latest Update:
12/21/2018
Video Of New Frame Shackle Mounts and Shackles.

All the parts are in. This baby happens Saturday.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
mellow wrote:
Don't forget to take some pics!

Video of new springs.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to take some pics!
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
My left rear leaf spring is bent near the front shackle causing the left side to be 1-1/2" lower than the right side. A bad left lean when the TC is on the truck. Has anybody replaced or able to recommend a heavier duty spring, F350, F450, aftermarket, that is a direct replacement for the springs I have. I don't care about ride smoothness. I want better TC load handling capacity.

I replaced the spring packs in my 97 F350 4x4 myself and added an extra leaf. It rides like a tank empty but with the camper, rides like a caddy. Got the packs and springs at NAPA, got the bushings and the through bolts too. Did the front too.

Good to know. I expect a tougher ride but if I'm going to use the truck for the camper, the rough ride will be worth it. I may do front springs at a later date. The 5.4 liter engine is lighter than the diesel.
I get the springs tomorrow and the balance of parts Friday. Excited!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

I replaced the spring packs in my 97 F350 4x4 myself and added an extra leaf. It rides like a tank empty but with the camper, rides like a caddy. Got the packs and springs at NAPA, got the bushings and the through bolts too. Did the front too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got The U-Bolts today. Springs on schedule for Friday. Installation Saturday still a go if everything else is.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mellow wrote:
Not putting anymore $$ in my rig, rust is getting the best of it, glad to hear your 2000 is holding up better. My truck bed is about to fall apart.

That's the beauty of not living in the rust belt, or the sun belt.
The wet side of the PNW is arguably the least harsh climate/conditions on vehicles in the country.
Now anything that is fiber based is a differnet story. I can hear my house and fence rotting on a quiet night!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Looks like install parts will arrive Monday and the springs Friday. Luring in helpers with Pizza is working well. A little more jigging one person but pretty sure he will bite. He owes me... LOTS...
Install should happen next weekend tarps or shine...

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Not putting anymore $$ in my rig, rust is getting the best of it, glad to hear your 2000 is holding up better. My truck bed is about to fall apart.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Bedlam
I'm hoping so. I'd prefer not to have to drive the
"Leaning Tower of Truck Camper"
down the road.

Are you sure your springs were not made in Pisa, Italy?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Mildly inflated air bags can help save springs in the long run or have new double springs added to both sides. At any rate I would replace both sides.