cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flagstaff and southern rim

joe_puma
Explorer
Explorer
Having just retired, we will be heading to AZ around middle of Jan. heading to Phoenix for Feb. We are trying to decide if we should go in route 10 to the south, or route 40 into Flagstaff and try to go to the southern rim area for a few days, then head south on 17 to Phoenix. Our main concern would be towing in snowy conditions. Has anyone been on these roads say the middle to end of January, and how was the driving? Feel free to offer any other suggestions or ideas.
Thanks,
Ron
11 REPLIES 11

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest swinging down thru STL on I-55 to I-44 into OKC, I-35(W) into FTW, and then getting on I-20 vs. betting on I-40.

Not a lot of scenery on I-40, but there are tons of trucks, and the weather will turn on a dime. If you've grown accustomed to driving in Chicago winter weather, then you can handle it, but chances are most the other drivers are clueless.

You shouldn't have any problems reserving the RV park at the rim in the winter, but you'll need to be self-sufficient for water/sewer. Williams is 2000 feet lower, so you'll have less snow/ice to contend with, but we like being -at- the Rim and not driving all day to/from it.

The other advantage of being there in the off season is you can drive out to Hermit's Rest (the road is bus and handicap permit only during high season).

Seeing the canyon in snow? Priceless.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
If you are staying in Phoenix for the month of Feb., I suggest doing an overnight or two to the Grand Canyon in your tow vehicle (unless the RV park prohibits leaving your unit for that long.) It's a 4-hour drive. Check the weather forecast for planning.

If you do decide to RV to the Grand Canyon and you don't want to stay overnight in below freezing temps of GC, Williams or Flagstaff, then stay in Sedona/Cottonwood area. It's a 2-hour drive from Sedona. Of course, still check the weather.

But as already mentioned, sunrise and sunset are the most magical times, so an overnight at GC is best.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most of the people that I talked to in the campground were spending at least 2 days there. My wife and I spent 3 days on the south rim and 2 days on the north rim. Part of that time was just sitting and watching the sunrise and sunset.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Williams is a neat little town. Try Rodโ€™s for a good steak. Slow but friendly service.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
We spent three days there and it took me close to four hours just to walk the Rim Trail, worth every step.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Having been there, I can't imagine the Grand Canyon in just three hours. It takes light from the far side that long just to get there!! And the sunsets and sunrises are a must. We spent over a week, and enjoyed every minute. For just three hours, better just to buy a picture book and save the drive.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to stay in Williams and take the train to the South Rim. There is a 3 hour turnaround but that's more than most tourists stay at the rim.
I just noticed that the Grand Canyon Railway has a package to include a stay at their hotel at the South Rim.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I-40 in the winter is mostly good traveling. It's just that when the snows come, it can be light or it can be horrible. The worst is when the weather goes bad (and it can be forecast for a light dusting but turn into a raging blizzard) things can be really bad. Nobody wants to spend half a day stranded on the side of a full stop interstate in the middle of nowhere in freezing weather with 12 inches of very wet heavy snow piling up around them. So, although your odds are only about 25% that you may hit really bad weather, should you, you may regret not taking the southern route.

Now, assuming you make it on I-40 with no incidents, with clear weather, no snow and bright sunshine - you run the risk of some fool in their vehicle barreling down (and I mean down) I-17 or paying too much attention to their smartphone and WHAM... Anyone who's been stuck on I-17 during a major accident knows what I mean. Once again, the odds are small but if it happens to you, you probably will regret not taking the southern route.

I personally have no issues as I'm set up for wilderness camping be it in the woods or lane 2 of the interstate. I also have the possibility of hitting the Forest or Fire roads to get around problems, but a larger RV is at the mercy of DPS & ADOT.

It's just a gamble; risk vs reward. The odds are in your favor that weather and road conditions wont be an issue, but if they are, just be aware it may not be enjoyable in the least.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven I-40 many times in the winter and had perfect weather. Cold but clear blue skies and dry roads. Watch the forecast and plan accordingly. The Grand Canyon in the winter is beautiful. Well worth seeing.
If you do decide to go I-10 to Phoenix, the Grand Canyon is a day trip
from Phoenix.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anywhere near Flagstaff in January can be problematic weatherwise, it's not unusual for I-40 to be closed between Albuquerque and Flagstaff. It will be cold and snow, often very heavy snow is common especially in Flagstaff.

I recommend the southern route via I-10 and even there you can encounter snow at the higher elevations. Keep a close eye on the weather, the internet through your smart phone is your best friend and be prepared to hole up should you encounter storms.

Good luck!

:C