cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable generators question

mgann
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'm all set on buying a Honda EU2000i and it's all I need except it won't handle the AC. Now, I go to Sam's Club and see they have a Champion 3500 duel fuel $299.00. I know this is apples to oranges but I want to know the quality of the Champion brand. I mean it is 1/3 cost of the Honda, it is more power and duel fuel. Is Champion as dependable as Honda. Yes, I know it's heaver and a little noisier , but?
2014 Chevrolet 1500, crew cab, srw, 2wd, 4.6 gas, Stock class V, 1995 Mallard by Fleetwood model 19n
60 REPLIES 60

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Jerry,

All the 2k genny's really only do 1600 watt continuous. If a 1500 watt inductive load is sudden added, it may overload the generator. That is more likely in eco mode. Once the device is powered up, then it is possible to switch eco back on to save a smidgen of fuel.

That is my understanding, but just from reading at this point, not actual experience. Unless I had a very limited supply, I would not care about the small fuel savings. Unless I was running a small load, say less than 1K, I think I'll just keep the eco mode off. I'll be gaining some actual experience with it this early Spring.

Jerry

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My Honda 2000 will not start my AC. It is a stock AC with no add on features like easy start or soft start.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I would not leave the 2000 watt rigs with the link cable connection to the companion in ECO mode. I doubt whether the gensets will react fast enough to come off ECO when AC starts.
For other operation, yes leave it in ECO.

my honda 2200 in eco mode easily and smoothly ramps up to start my dometic 13.5K BTU AC unit, no problem, even at 5,000+ft.

the trick? no trick just the micro air easy start!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would not leave the 2000 watt rigs with the link cable connection to the companion in ECO mode. I doubt whether the gensets will react fast enough to come off ECO when AC starts.
For other operation, yes leave it in ECO.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Jerry,

All the 2k genny's really only do 1600 watt continuous. If a 1500 watt inductive load is sudden added, it may overload the generator. That is more likely in eco mode. Once the device is powered up, then it is possible to switch eco back on to save a smidgen of fuel.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a new 2K Champ, so have not used it yet. Reading Owners manual, it says to take off from eco, before adding high draw. It does say when on eco, and adding some draw, the genny will speed up on it's own, to cover the load.

Jerry

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you leave the smaller generators in "Eco" mode and still start the AC with an Easy Start installed?

This looks to me like the best deal going right now on a mid-sized generator, Champion remote start 3100 watts for $799 plus tax:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-75537i-3100-Watt-RV-Ready-Portable-Inverter-Generator-with-Wireless-Remote-Start/38695495

I bought one but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 3100 gas only, champion for two reasons, One the Price from Costco shipped to my house for $700, you don't even have to be a Costco member to buy.. Also I live in LA area and when I need Service, Champion is close buy and I can bring it for service, Wich I needed actually... After 125 hours, the Carb needed to be replaced as there is a electric motor on it that controls the throttle burned out.. I brought it in to champion, no Appointment, and the Service guy stopped working on his jobs, and took the 1 1/2 hours needed to take it all apart and fix it.. WOW what a job to take apart..not easy. He replaced the recoil rope for free, new air filter and gave me an extra spark Plug too.. Total cost was about $130 for the new Carb assembly installed.. BTW the Carb is not covered under the 3 year warranty.....

mgann
Explorer
Explorer
Seafoam it shall be. Thanks ya'll
2014 Chevrolet 1500, crew cab, srw, 2wd, 4.6 gas, Stock class V, 1995 Mallard by Fleetwood model 19n

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
mgann,

Seafoam may be a better choice that Stabil. At least that was my experience with my generator.

mgann wrote:
I I will run the gas out of carb so it does not gum and use non ethanol with Stabil .

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

x2 on seafoam vs. stabil. I had to use seafoam to unplug a generator that I had been using stabil in. And after talking to others, I wasn't the only one that found that stabil isn't nearly as good as seafoam for keeping the carb working.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

skyflyer
Explorer
Explorer
mgann wrote:
Thank you all for the input. I think I've decided to buy the Champion 3500 watt, dual fuel, electric and recoil start inverter model 100264. I prefer dual fuel over remote start. Camping World price on sale for $1099.97 reg price $1299.97

Thanks for the help

I purchased the same one last year after using the champion open frame style for about 5 years. I have been very happy with my decision. My town was hit by a tornado last year and my house was without power for a little over a week. I plan to get another one so I can parallel them to power the house.
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2016 chevy Silverado

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
mgann wrote:
Thank you all for the input. I think I've decided to buy the Champion 3500 watt, dual fuel, electric and recoil start inverter model 100264. I prefer dual fuel over remote start. Camping World price on sale for $1099.97 reg price $1299.97

Thanks for the help

Good choice, electric start is a nice feature. Remember that when running on propane the wattage is less.

I have the HF predator and am very happy with it. It is extremely quiet which is important if you want to be considerate to people camping near you and it is only about $700 with tax, has electric start also.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have had many gen sets the one I have now is a Harbor Frieght 33k inverter and it is great 700 bucks and electric start and just as quiet as my old 3k Honda

Yes my friend also has one of the HF Predator generators and has had very good luck with it. If I was in the market I would not discount looking at these.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I have had many gen sets the one I have now is a Harbor Frieght 33k inverter and it is great 700 bucks and electric start and just as quiet as my old 3k Honda