cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tape with Capsicum In It

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this earlier with different title Friday evening. Saturday it was not here. Moderator says they didn't remove it.
So...

I was at Dr Office Friday and ran across an article, in car and Drier, I think.Honda is/was producing a tape with Capsicum in it in response to complaints about rodents chewing wires on their vehicles since 2010. It has a mouse printed on it crossed out. The author mentioned it said not to put on skin or lick it etc.
I don't remember what type polymer it is composed of but wrapping wires with it stops critters from wanting to chew on it.
We have read many posts of using red pepper on wiring. Of course it washes off pretty easy.
If this tape is not too costly and you have enough grunt to wrap your wiring or bundles of wire with it sound like a good idea.
The way the article was written suggest the tape is till available but did not explictly say so.
9 REPLIES 9

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Not too sure I buy the idea that birds don't detect hot. Went to the beach last year and a relative brought some beef jerky that was some ungodly hot. One little taste and your mouth and throat was on fire for hours. Left the open bag on the picnic table. Now anyone who has spent any time on west coast beaches knows that seagulls will and do eat anything left out. They will open up closed bags of food and pretty much destroy your campsite. That open bag of jerky sat there on the table for 2 days; the seagulls came & investigated, shoved the bag around a bit, tasted it, and then left it alone and gave it a wide berth!

As for capsicum tape; It wouldn't be practical for a car owner to try to wrap their wiring; you couldn't get to all of it. Perhaps if the manufacturers used it for the wiring harness before the car was built?
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
johnhicks wrote:
You might want to find out if those critters are sensitive to capsicum. Just because you are doesn't mean the critters are.

We were having a problem with raccoons getting the suet we put out for our birds. Every night. We went to Wild Birds Unlimited and talked to them about it. They recommended getting hot pepper suet. They said birds don't detect the hot, but mammals hate it. We only had one more night of suet raiding, and the suet was left laying by the foot of the tree it was mounted on, with one bite out of it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

unbob
Explorer
Explorer
Mothballs ??? Anyone tried them under the hood to discourage rodents from chewing wires?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure every land mammal would be sensitive to capsaicin. Just depends on how much is used. I know from experience it works on me and various dogs. I've seen video of it stopping bears.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
A little story might help. We were trying to discourage prairie dogs from digging near the house. In a fit of rage, I bought a large batch of hot jalapenos, chopped them up nicely with a blender to create a smooth jelly-like material, and smeared it into existing holes. It was deadly stuff.

I might as well have used honey. They ignored the jalapeno stuff outright and went about their business.

๐Ÿ˜ž

Lynn

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to find out if those critters are sensitive to capsicum. Just because you are doesn't mean the critters are.
-jbh-

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
For $30, you could sprinkle lots of red pepper on your wiring.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go. Claims to be the same as Honda tape. Capsaicin tape
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are wires and fiber optic cables that have that in the insulation
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73