Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Top Dog Names 2018

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Article
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
12 REPLIES 12

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
When adopting rescues, it's helpful to ask if the dog ca.e with it's name or if the rescue named the dog. If the latter, then there should be no concern about changing to a completely different name.

Also, if the dog cam from an abusive home, changing the name completely can help the dog recoup.
One rescue group changed the name of of a Collie I adopted. The Collie had no idea who I was talking to. I called the grop and asked if they knew what the prior name was, they did. When I called his name he responded.

As a foster, I never changed the dog's name if known unless there was abuse connected to the name. I had one dog who had been beaten every time she was called. As soon as I started using a different name, she started believing she wouldn't be beaten if she came.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a cat named Kit Carson that had kittens so I called them Tom Cat and Bob Cat. Had one named Pohono after the falls in Yosemite.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Had a dog named Boulevard once, cause thats where I rescued him. Named a cat Martha Mitchell, a long time ago, because she talked all the time.
Most popular? Why join the crowd?

1995brave
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ACS named ours "Bliss" when we picked her up 14 years ago. We thought about changing her name but decided to keep it. She proved she was named correctly, she was a total Bliss to our family her whole life. RIP.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
When adopting rescues, it's helpful to ask if the dog ca.e with it's name or if the rescue named the dog. If the latter, then there should be no concern about changing to a completely different name.

Also, if the dog cam from an abusive home, changing the name completely can help the dog recoup.
One rescue group changed the name of of a Collie I adopted. The Collie had no idea who I was talking to. I called the grop and asked if they knew what the prior name was, they did. When I called his name he responded.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Only changed the name of 2 of my rescues. Always try to have the new name sound like old so the transition goes smoothly for the dog.
Fred became Red. Porky became Rocky.

Both of these special dogs in my life lived 'very' long lives.
Red was 20 when he passed and old for a Dane Rocky was 12.
I still think of them often and miss them. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
My Awesome Shepherd was named Luke when we got him, after a week with him in our home "Luke" became "Goof", again phonetically close.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a Previously named Pomeranian rescue "Cooper" and then we have had two Cavalier rescues named with Mollie and Maggie. Good list!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
All my rescue Collies were already named except for one. I wasn't about to try and change a name of a 8 year old Collie. My latest rescue was named copper because of his copper color. I did not care for the name and changed it to Cooper which is close enough phonetically to Copper to not confuse Cooper. Past & present Collie names Lady, Sinka, Sadie, Neal, Andy, Lassie, Strider, Mikko, Bud-shortened from Buddy and Cooper. Currently Mikko is 14 years and Cooper is 4 years.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 3 named Queen Victoria (the Queen), Prince Albert (Bert) and Ruby Begonia.

My all-time favorite dog name was Snuffy, followed by Chelan after the Lake.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
It must say something about my tastes in music, movies, etc., that in all my years, my pets' names have never been on these top 10 lists. Their names have always been picked from obscure references or words that describe their individual personalities.

I think a lot of these names become popular because of shelters and foster homes. When you rescue your 10th litter of the year, you get real desperate for names - so you "steal" from what you hear in the news and entertainment world. Hence, a lot of Harrys and Meghans come through at the same time. And many new owners feel guilty changing the animal's name when they adopt, so it sticks.

A fellow rescuer used to do object theme litters. Razors: Gillette, Remington, Bic, etc. Fruits: Mango, Papaya, Banana, etc. Was always nice to see those unique names on the cages at adoption days, especially when there would be a minimum of 10 Belles and Jasmines in the system.