cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel on I-24 through Nashville

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Coming into Nashville heading to Chattanoga but will be doing it on Sunday morning when there is a Titans game. I recall there is a suggested north bypass. I am coming fro west on 24 through Clarksville. 43 ft DP towing Smart Car. Any suggestions. It will be about 9 AM arriving Nashville. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
In Green Bay traffic would be heavy as fans arrive early to tailgate.

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
But the Titans don't play at 9:00AM on Sunday.

You shouldn't have any problem going thru town at that time of day regardless of which route you take. Now if there's a wreck somewhere then all bets are off but who can predict those.

Exactly. The Tirans game is at 1PM. No game traffic will be on the road at 9.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
But the Titans don't play at 9:00AM on Sunday.

You shouldn't have any problem going thru town at that time of day regardless of which route you take. Now if there's a wreck somewhere then all bets are off but who can predict those.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
Blaster Man wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
...On a Sunday I would stay on 24...

Yep, right through town, not problem on a Sunday and not that bad on weekdays...excluding rush hour.

But the OP noted there is a Titans game that morning, so add 65-70k more people on those roads compared to a normal Sunday morning.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
...On a Sunday I would stay on 24...

Yep, right through town, not problem on a Sunday and not that bad on weekdays...excluding rush hour.
2014 American Eagle

rv_bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of easier options that may work for you:
Best would be to just arrive an hour earlier and you will sail on through on I-24 East without issue. OR, when approaching the city interstate loop follow the signs to take the I-65 South loop which will have you going around the city on the West side instead of the East by the stadium and then follow the signs reading I-24East and I-40 East, which will get you back on route towards Chatanooga. Not likely too much traffic on the West side loop at 9:00, but really getting there a bit early would eliminate any issue.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Coming into Nashville heading to Chattanoga but will be doing it on Sunday morning when there is a Titans game. I recall there is a suggested north bypass. I am coming fro west on 24 through Clarksville. 43 ft DP towing Smart Car. Any suggestions. It will be about 9 AM arriving Nashville. Thanks.

Take Briley Parkway (SR155) all the way from I-24 north of downtown, to south of downtown.

That said, if you hit Nashville at 9 AM on a Sunday morning you will normally be across town by 9:30 and miss the game traffic.

Check TDOT Smartway and/or Waze & Google Traffic to choose the route that is free of accidents.

And as someone said, a GPS/Google Drive will help you with getting in the right lane. I drive through there all the time and it's still a big help to me. Lots of things connecting/exiting in a fairly short time frame. Staying in the middle lane until advised otherwise is a good idea.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a Sunday I would stay on 24...started to say straight through but you need a GPS to know which lane to get in as you merge with 65 and 40. Using Briley is longer and less chance of not being in the lane you need.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Briley Parkway AKA TN 155 I-24 Exit 43 east pass OpryLand to I-24 exit 54
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
One bypass is to take Briley Parkway East. The signs will say Opryland. Briley will swing you east of downtown, crossing I-65, the Opry area, I-40 near the airport, then finally bringing you back to I-24 to the southeast of downtown.

While most of Briley along that route is divided, interstate type highway, don't be alarmed when the section south of I-40 becomes more a typical 4 lane roadway. It's still Briley, and will get you to I-24 fairly soon after that point.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7