cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowing here and

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am so glad the TT is UNDER a shed. 6 inches of Snow, Sleet, and freezing rain would not be real good for the top stuff. Could be heavy as well.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
36 REPLIES 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pnichols wrote:
Given no leaks in an RV's roof ... it's not rain, snow, or sleet that ages or damages it.

It's the sun's UV rays that ruins painted surfaces, dries out sealants, and rots materials that age and damage it. Keeping your RV out of the sun as much as possible during either long camping stays or long storage periods - is a number one priority in extending the roof's and sidewalls' life. Also, sitting hour after hour in the sun during the warm months when not being used - in which the interior temperatures rise to high temperatures - also dries out interior adhesives and slowly heat-rots interior materials.

The sun is not an RV's friend - unfortunately so for those owners who must camp with their RV out in the sun for solar power - although roof solar panels do shield the roof areas right under them from UV ray damage.

Move to somewhere it rains snows or sleets most of the year, mostly rain.
Whether it leaks or not, it aint great for it.
No leaks Iโ€™d take rain over sun though for less damage, youโ€™re right.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you have snow on the roof, the rain that falls gets soaked up by the snow and it gets extremely heavy. 1" of rain can equal over a foot of snow. If a TT or RV is outside, I would recommend clearing the snow so that the water runs off. I have a metal carport for my TT's0 also.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
RVs are not meant to be outside.
That is like saying boats are not supposed to be in the water.
My RV lives outside, and is ready to go any time.
Sometimes I take it out in winter and leave the anti-freeze in tact. Sometimes I sleep in the backyard in it.

I don't have a sailing boat. But, I do have a 1973 Silverline Comoro speed boat. Boats are not meant to get water in them. The required insulation that keeps them from sinking to the bottom absorbs water after awhile and the boat gets wet and heavy. (Weird ain't it) And, the wood work gets rotten too. Best to keep them in a shed when not in use.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given no leaks in an RV's roof ... it's not rain, snow, or sleet that ages or damages it.

It's the sun's UV rays that ruins painted surfaces, dries out sealants, and rots materials that age and damage it. Keeping your RV out of the sun as much as possible during either long camping stays or long storage periods - is a number one priority in extending the roof's and sidewalls' life. Also, sitting hour after hour in the sun during the warm months when not being used - in which the interior temperatures rise to high temperatures - also dries out interior adhesives and slowly heat-rots interior materials.

The sun is not an RV's friend - unfortunately so for those owners who must camp with their RV out in the sun for solar power - although roof solar panels do shield the roof areas right under them from UV ray damage.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Sometimes I take it out in winter and leave the anti-freeze in tact. Sometimes I sleep in the backyard in it.

I don't think anybody said they are not meant to be outside. It's just better for them long term to be stored inside when not in use. Same could be said for your car or truck, even your boat would appreciate being taken out of the water once in while ๐Ÿ™‚

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think all you guys need to come to Arizona!! I got cold just reading these posts. LOL
Although I will admit all this sun is taking its toll on the paint job.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
A 1500 sq ft outbuilding is next on our list for Home Improvements... not too worried about winter weather since it usually melts off here pretty fast, but the sun can sure do a number on a trailer parked outside. Oh and the hail ๐Ÿ˜›
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
One year we had a heavy wet snow that set in the roof of the shed for weeks and would not slide or melt off. After a few weeks of constant pressure the shed could no longer take it and collapsed on everything inside of it.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
ExxWhy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
ExxWhy wrote:
I'll agree, the covered storage prolongs the life expectancy greatly. Ours is a 2013 and looks brand new.

That is sweet!
How big is it?

Thanks! 40X44 plus the 10' overhangs on the sides. Of course I wish it was bigger, but it's adequate. ๐Ÿ™‚ Added bonus is I don't have to winterize the trailer, shocked me that it never gets below 33 inside without heat. Lot's of insulation! Warms right up with just a small wood stove.

For anyone on the fence about building something for the RV, DO IT! Well worth it in the long run.

Officially green with envy! ๐Ÿ™‚ Still noodling out some kind of plan for a shop behind the house but hampered by suburban living when I grew up VERY rural.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

blt2ski
i'm confused......

One keeps RV's in the winter under cover?!?!?!?!?! WOW! I used mine as a ski hut every weekend from Mid November to early april! Including a time or two when the local pass was shut down for 3 days due to over 5' of snow during the time, avalanches covering the road......had some 6000+ lbs of sow on the trailer and in truck bed 20 miles down the pass, when I finally found a weigh scale to weigh things.....

Well any way.......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I agree; storing under cover is one of the best things that you can do for your RV. Although we aren't fortunate enough to have a facility at home, we pony up and pay to put the fiver and boat into indoor winter storage, which is a former chicken barn. It is a great feeling in the heavy rains we have been having that they are inside nice and dry!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In winter, I am just glad to have an RV to sleep in.

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
ExxWhy wrote:
I'll agree, the covered storage prolongs the life expectancy greatly. Ours is a 2013 and looks brand new.

That is sweet!
How big is it?

Thanks! 40X44 plus the 10' overhangs on the sides. Of course I wish it was bigger, but it's adequate. ๐Ÿ™‚ Added bonus is I don't have to winterize the trailer, shocked me that it never gets below 33 inside without heat. Lot's of insulation! Warms right up with just a small wood stove.

For anyone on the fence about building something for the RV, DO IT! Well worth it in the long run.