cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

iOS vs Android

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I may be in the market for a smart phone in the near future, but don't know much about them since I use a flip phone. I'm wondering if there is any benefit of an iPhone as opposed to an android one. Thanks for your insight.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
58 REPLIES 58

az99
Explorer
Explorer
You have to become part of the Apple Cult if you want to look important and successful.:)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ChuckSteed wrote:
iPhone works just fine. And if people would learn to use cloud based storage for their pics and such they would have plenty of room on their phone for day to day use. Cloud servers are reliable storage venues for your photos. Clear up available memory on phone by using it
Well, relatively reliable. I wouldn't use cloud storage as the only backup I had. I like my stuff local, where I can still get at it if my internet goes down, or the storage site changes user policies.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
iPhone works just fine. And if people would learn to use cloud based storage for their pics and such they would have plenty of room on their phone for day to day use. Cloud servers are reliable storage venues for your photos. Clear up available memory on phone by using it

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I have several apps that are available only for Android. Wife has iphone, new IOS killing her battery. Apple keeps rolling out updates for newer phones but if you update older phone you risk killing battery. Also, you WILL miss that android "back" button if you go iphone. If you've never owned either you won't know any better. I'm constantly trying to clear out pic's and apps to keep wife's iphone from running out of memory. On my android I just move stuff to the memory card. I hate itunes......
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

tippytoe
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I just bought Android Samsung Galaxy J3's for $30 each! (on sale thru our provider) All we need to do is talk and text, sending and receiving pictures, and gps for finding restaurants on the road, etc. So far, we are very delighted with our choice. Our monthly bill will be actually less than before it was with our old-old plan and flip phones.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and daughter use Iphones. I'm an android guy. Here's why.

I use my phone for almost everything. I store my music on it (95 albums worth). I store my pictures on it and use it to take pictures of almost every event I go it be it camping trips, races, concerts, family get togethers etc. I can't tell you how many times my wife and daughters phones filled up and they had to do the hurry up and delete stuff (Old apps/pictures/etc they are no longer using) to free up space.

Prices range from $749-64 gig, $799-128 gig to $899-256 gig for Iphones. I can buy a 256 gig memory card for $69 for my android but apple wants to charge me a $150 premium to build in 256 gigs of memory and not give me a memory card slot. I don't think so. They also did away with their earphone plug and now use their lightning plug which made all their users go buy new earplugs.

Apple reminds me of HP Computers a few years ago when they started building computers that wouldn't fit anything but their overpriced parts if you wanted to upgrade or replace something that went bad. Power supplies that cost twice what anyone else was charging for them so it was either pay it or junk the PC and go buy a new one. Oh how the mighty fall once people catch on.

So for me, it's become a matter of your not charging me more for what I can get for less and is on a more popular platform. If everything else I had was apple, I guess I'd have to hold my nose and buy one but thankfully I never got sucked into Apples marketing and have Samsung tablets, Windows PC's and Android phones, All of which I love.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Just got heart device yesterday. Appears to work OK with my iPad. However, I still have a smart phone in mind for the future. That being the case, all the replies on this thread have proven invaluable in helping me make an informed decision. Thanks again to everybody!
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use whatsapp available for android and ios. Does video, voice, voice messaging, and text messaging with encryption for all of the above. Free.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Then there are VoIP...skype (if you pay for a phone number)
I use Google Hangouts on my Android phone. It's a free App and no charge for phone calls. It's also available for iPhone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.talk&hl=en_US

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hangouts/id643496868?mt=8
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
lovemountains wrote:
Our hearing aids are connected to our Android phones, via blue-tooth. You won't need wi-fi for controlling the hearing aids. It's wonderful to be able to turn the volume up or down in restaurants, listening to radio in car, watching TV, or camping in remote places.
Yeah, but you can get hearing aids with little buttons on them that allow you to change volume, or adjust the program. That precludes the need to dig the phone out of your pocket, turn on the phone, open the app, wait a sec for it to connect, and then adjust. KISS
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have a semi-smart LG-K4 that works well as a phone.
I have a Kodak camera.
I have computers, both lap top and desk top.
I need none of those devices with me all the time.
Do not pull out your smart phone when we are visiting, or the visit is over.
Many have and will again be allowed to run in to my shopping cart while texting. Geeeeeeesh............

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

lovemountains
Explorer
Explorer
Our hearing aids are connected to our Android phones, via blue-tooth. You won't need wi-fi for controlling the hearing aids. It's wonderful to be able to turn the volume up or down in restaurants, listening to radio in car, watching TV, or camping in remote places.

MrWizard
yes.. and skype etc.. use gear plugged into the PC
or
dedicated VoIP phones that plug into the your internet connection
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
I am now going to need a Smart Phone for controlling my new hearing aids. We frequently camp in an area with wifi but no and I mean NO cell coverage and cell via wifi would be nice. So my questions are, do I need a data plan for hearing aid control or calling via wifi and can I do it from a tablet?

the hearing aid connection is most likely Blu-Tooth

you can make a call via wifi, provided the phone supports that feature and has an APP for that,
in which case it uses a special IP address and connection protocol all transparent to the you

BUT to try this with your tablet, you will need your own internet phone account, and possibly some additional hardware plugged into the tablet

this is called VoIP "voice over Internet Protocol"
services like Majic Jack use this

There are different ways to do calls over wifi:
- Some phones you use the normal phone app and it's seamless (if there is wifi, it uses it)
- Then there are VoIP...skype (if you pay for a phone number), majic jack and a host of others. You need to use the system app but otherwise, you have a normal phone number and can call other phones.
- Then there are independent systems. Here you can call people who use the same system. WhatsApp, Facetime, Skype (if you don't pay for a phone number)...What you can't do is call someone on Facetime with WhatsApp. You can only call peopl on WhatsApp with WhatsApp.

Skype is a little odd because it has because it has both systems that partially blend.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV