cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Take-apart-able" portable generator box -- suggestions?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some really great generator boxes that have been posted on this forum -- but as far as I can tell, they are all permanent units. Assemble it once, and that's it.

My idea (and I don't know if it is possible) is to have something that disassembles for transportation. A box has six sides -- so this would be six sound-deadening panels that snap together. I think it would take up a lot less room in the cargo bed of a truck than a permanent box would. And cargo space is at a premium.

The other advantage of this idea is that the box could be slightly oversize when assembled -- put it together, and drop the generator into place, and put on the top.

It would have to have air baffles for intake and exhaust. Ideally, it would be weatherproof. And as long as I am dreaming, let's make it lightweight, strong, and inexpensive -- why not?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
43 REPLIES 43

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
how about using something like this
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200433194_200433194

flip it upside down over the gen, maybe some blocks on the ground for circulation under it or cut some vents in it and cover it with a sound blanket.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clever idea about having a SoundGuy box that disassembles! The joints would be a source of sound leakage, but there must be a way to compensate for that. Good thinking!
About our trailer

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
After researching this for years - and struggling as Prof and sound guy are - I too don't want to hear the generator at all. The best solution I've seen thus far is Soundguy's design.

It's light weight, small, effective and ease to transport (though it doesn't lie flat like prof is looking for).

Someone on hear years ago pointed out that sound waves that are blocked from reaching you reduce the footprint - and I tried to emulate by using thinner pieces of plywood - leaving the top open for circulation.

It worked at home - but when I was camping, the leaves of the trees reflected the sound back down.

You could take what Soundguy did for a template, use hinges to hold things together and put quick release pins in the hinges and possibly get what you're looking for.

The most important thing is airflow - and again - look at what Soundguy has done for his 2000 and see how he's allowed the built in fans to pull the air in and out without impeding the airflow.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
This video might inspire some ideas on building something to deaden the sound.

A person could attach some wood panels to the PVC pipe.

Video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
profdant139 wrote:
One trick that we sometimes use is to add a heavy duty extension cord to the trailer's power cord, so as to move the generator as far away from ourselves and our neighbors as we can. We can get it around 50 feet away.

I do the same. I have a 12awg extension cord that's 80' long.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

LenSatic wrote:
If that was a jab at my post just before Dan's, you are mistaken. We either boondock in areas where we can't even see another camper, let alone bother them if we need to run the gennie, or overnight in Walmart or truck stop parking lots. We don't do campgrounds of any type.

It wasn't, it was directed at those who would read profidant's post about using a white noise machine and think he was actually being serious because as far as they're concerned if it solves the genset noise problem for them then it solves it, period. :S Nothing to do with you and your carpet. ๐Ÿ˜›

Just bad timing on my post, then. Thanks for the clarification. That being the case, I do agree with your post which is why we don't stay in campgrounds. The few times we have we had people walking through our (tent) camp or kids coming up wanting to play with the dog. At Moro Bay we even had a cheerleading team "performing" until late at night. I'll take generator noise over the above anytime. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
We carry a small battery powered "white noise" machine, to drown out noisy neighbors in campgrounds. Maybe I should try it to drown out my own generator?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

SoundGuy wrote:
Funny how these genset discussions are always the same - as long as the noise doesn't bother ME then it's all good. :R

LenSatic wrote:
If that was a jab at my post just before Dan's, you are mistaken. We either boondock in areas where we can't even see another camper, let alone bother them if we need to run the gennie, or overnight in Walmart or truck stop parking lots. We don't do campgrounds of any type.

It wasn't, it was directed at those who would read profidant's post about using a white noise machine and think he was actually being serious because as far as they're concerned if it solves the genset noise problem for them then it solves it, period. :S Nothing to do with you and your carpet. ๐Ÿ˜›
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
And Len, just to be clear, I think we are all on the same page -- the goal is a quieter generator, whether we are in a campground or in the middle of nowhere. Assuming one has to use a generator (and there are rare times when we do), the best solution would be a really good box, like the one SoundGuy has posted about.

But there is an old saying -- the best is the enemy of the good. If one lacks the skills to make that box or can't transport it, then maybe there is a less-than-perfect solution (sheets of plywood??) that would make things a little better than nothing at all.

So that is what I am hoping to find, through trial and error and prayer. Maybe there is a half-baked technique available, one that I would actually use in the real world.

Or maybe there isn't.
About our trailer

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
We carry a small battery powered "white noise" machine, to drown out noisy neighbors in campgrounds. Maybe I should try it to drown out my own generator?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Funny how these genset discussions are always the same - as long as the noise doesn't bother ME then it's all good. :R

2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, I watched it -- bottom line for those who do not have time to watch -- they took decibel readings of a cheap generator and then put slanted sheets of plywood or sheetrock around the generator to deflect the sound down toward the ground. The slanted plywood left a lot of air circulation around the generator.

The decibel reading dropped by 10 decibels -- supposedly four times quieter, but I have no idea if dropping it by ten decibels really cuts the noise by a factor of four. (Is the decibel scale logarithmic?)

I may try the slanted plywood trick on my generator, just to see if I can hear a difference at all. Plywood is cheap and is easy to transport. I'm a skeptic, as you can tell.

Or slanted rubber foam mats?? I doubt they have the mass and composition to cause any meaningful deflection.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
jj, I am not sure what you mean about crow, but I sure intend to watch that video -- it's better than doing the work I am supposed to do! Here is a working link:

Link
About our trailer

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zwc5mdEbDI

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
SoundGuy, using the mats won't be a complete waste -- at least it will get them out of my crowded garage!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Try it quick and let us know how it works out, I prefer to eat crow when it is warm.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
SoundGuy, using the mats won't be a complete waste -- at least it will get them out of my crowded garage!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ha Ha! You've got me there! :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380