cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2002 Monaco coach won’t dump air. HWH 600 series.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Hello. New to this forum. Think this is the right place to put this.

We have a neighbour with a 2001 Monaco Executive. Apparently model year 2002. HWH air levellers. Older gent. He can not get the air to dump. Consequently the first step is high and causes problems for his wife who has mobility issues due to Parkinson’s.

When you push the dump button (key on) all the lights flicker. I checked the voltage on a terminal marked “air dump” in the cabinet below drivers position and it drops to 11 volts when butting pushed. I can hear a relay opening and closing when the button is pushed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
tmarie416 wrote:
We have a 2003 Windsor and are having a similar problem. Drivers side is up, passenger side is down. Will not dump air bags and can not raise the passenger side. Upon pushing the dump button it flashes red. Have checked the fuses nothing. Is the a way to manually dump the air bags?

Ill be watching any responses you get. Good luck.

tmarie416
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Windsor and are having a similar problem. Drivers side is up, passenger side is down. Will not dump air bags and can not raise the passenger side. Upon pushing the dump button it flashes red. Have checked the fuses nothing. Is the a way to manually dump the air bags?
Tina & Greg Cornell
2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Chevy HHR
Trinity, FL

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Here is the 600 AIR LEVELING MANUAL for your year. Doug

http://server3.hwhcorp.com/ml19048.pdf

Hi Doug and thankyou for the manual. He has a hard copy of this manual but I am out of my comfort zone trouble shooting the board. I am a technician/technologist by trade but have been burned by doing good deeds on other peoples units. I have checked it out in the hopes of finding something straightforward but at this point it will come down to faultfinding the boards. Eeek.

Thanks again.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Here is the 600 AIR LEVELING MANUAL for your year. Doug

http://server3.hwhcorp.com/ml19048.pdf

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Are the levelers REALLY air operated ?
Kind of hard to raise that much weight with air.
I would think hydraulic.

Has any one LOOKED to see if the jacks are really down ?
Sounds to me like the indication is that you are telling it to raise the jacks when they are ALREADY UP.

Then.....the leveling system should have a manual mode.
Raise the levelers, which probably is NOT the "dump air" function, and then start over in the manual mode. Might have to have the engine running to do this.

If mine is reasonably level to start with, I just run the jacks down until they make firm contact with the ground for stability and not for leveling really. If his unit doesn't tend to sway when people walk around inside, he might not need the levelers at all sometimes.

There are NO air levelers. What he has is a AIR BAG leveling system. BUT, usually on the older Excec's they had BOTH Air and Hyd leveling. You dumped the air to HYDRAULIC level. You did NOT dump the air to AIR LEVEL. Regardless, on Monaco products, the air dump valve is very quiet and takes about 3 times longer to dump the air than the standard
air dump valve on HWH systems. Monaco usually did not use the HWH supplied air dump valves. Now, IF he has HYD and AIR, he can extend the HYD jacks and lift the unit. THAT will cause the RIDE HEIGHT arms to dump the air in the bags. Then retract the jacks and then AIR LEVEL. Doug

Thank you for your response. He has no hydraulic levellers. All levelling is done by the airbags. Without a schematic I’m not willing to fault find the boards and determine why the relay is chattering. He will bring in a mobile tech with experience in this area.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sam Spade wrote:
Are the levelers REALLY air operated ?
Kind of hard to raise that much weight with air.
I would think hydraulic.

Has any one LOOKED to see if the jacks are really down ?
Sounds to me like the indication is that you are telling it to raise the jacks when they are ALREADY UP.

Then.....the leveling system should have a manual mode.
Raise the levelers, which probably is NOT the "dump air" function, and then start over in the manual mode. Might have to have the engine running to do this.

If mine is reasonably level to start with, I just run the jacks down until they make firm contact with the ground for stability and not for leveling really. If his unit doesn't tend to sway when people walk around inside, he might not need the levelers at all sometimes.

There are NO air levelers. What he has is a AIR BAG leveling system. BUT, usually on the older Excec's they had BOTH Air and Hyd leveling. You dumped the air to HYDRAULIC level. You did NOT dump the air to AIR LEVEL. Regardless, on Monaco products, the air dump valve is very quiet and takes about 3 times longer to dump the air than the standard
air dump valve on HWH systems. Monaco usually did not use the HWH supplied air dump valves. Now, IF he has HYD and AIR, he can extend the HYD jacks and lift the unit. THAT will cause the RIDE HEIGHT arms to dump the air in the bags. Then retract the jacks and then AIR LEVEL. Doug

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Reporting back. I ws unable to find the problem but this is what I did find.

The box containing the two circuit boards is in the first cabinet behind the wheels. I was able to slide in on the joey bed, find the access panel cover, remove the lid, then I could see the box, removed the lid, and then see the boards. There is a chattering relay when the main panel is activated. The voltage is good but other than that I was able to do little, I pulled the main 10 amp fuse and let it reset then put it back in. Its above my paygrade and I advised the gentleman to call a real tech.

Thank you for the tips.

Reisender.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Hello. New to this forum. Think this is the right place to put this.

We have a neighbour with a 2001 Monaco Executive. Apparently model year 2002. HWH air levellers. Older gent. He can not get the air to dump. Consequently the first step is high and causes problems for his wife who has mobility issues due to Parkinson’s.

When you push the dump button (key on) all the lights flicker. I checked the voltage on a terminal marked “air dump” in the cabinet below drivers position and it drops to 11 volts when butting pushed. I can hear a relay opening and closing when the button is pushed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I'll have to assume here, that he's always operated it in the same manner and has not had a problem before.
Ours dumps the air, when the auto level button is pushed and while the jacks are being deployed.
For using the manual switch, the engine must be off and the ignition on.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Executive wrote:
Make sure his parking brake is set or nothing will work....Dennis

Thanks Fennis. Have to wait till next week to get at it again. I’ll let you know.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure his parking brake is set or nothing will work....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:

Second click will start the auto level cycle. which starts by releasing the air, and lowering the coach.

But then proceeds to try and level it again.

I think this is NOT the solution to his problem......unless maybe the level was WAY off the first time.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Tom/Barb wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
push the on button twice in rapid succession, see what happens.

Will give that a try. Thank you. What is it supposed to do.
I don't really know but it is how mine works.

First click just turns on the system. which will allow you to operate the jacks. lower / raise and adjust level.

Second click will start the auto level cycle. which starts by releasing the air, and lowering the coach.

Thanks. I’ll let you know in a few days.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:

I don't really know but it is how mine works.

First click just turns on the system. which will allow you to operate the jacks. lower / raise and adjust level.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Tom/Barb wrote: