cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much trailer can the new 1/2 ton trucks tow?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to RVing and I'm in the market for a new TV. Ideally I'd like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, but these trucks require commercial plates, which makes driving on Long Island (NY State) difficult, so I'm considering going with a 1/2 ton truck, but i'm not sure how large a trailer they can tow.

I looked at the new RAM 1500 (5.7L V8 with a 3.92 rear axle) and it boasts some impressive numbers.
GVWR - 7100 lbs
Payload - 1780 lbs
Towing - 11,240 lbs
Max Tongue - 1100 lbs
Front GAWR - 3900 lbs
Rear GAWR - 4100
GCW - 17,000

I found these numbers either on the door frame or at Ramtrucks.com

So without getting into the weeds, how large a trailer should I consider?
59 REPLIES 59

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
2oldman wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
Any truck over 6,000 lbs. gets commercial tags.
Assuming they cost more, is that because NY has really crummy roads?

Are you serious? We visited most of the National Parks in Kalifornia and found where parts of roads that slid of the side of the mountain, Kalifornia’s fix was to put a sign up stating single lane! Took Rt. 199 to the Redwood NP and the road was winding and rock overhanging to the point you had to get into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting my 12’ tall TC! Took Rt. 120 into Yosemite NP, a rock slid occurred years ago, Kalifornia’s answer was to not fix but find an alternate route around it. Low and behold a rock slide fell on that route and we had to take a 5 hour round trip to get back into the park! Took Kalifornia over a month to remove that rock! New York roads are some of the best designed, best signed and best maintained roads in the United States.

National Park roads are federal. Soo Trump, blaming someone else for not properly maintaining federal lands where fires started when it's his responsibility, lol.

If you look at a map, none of the Kalifornia roads I noted are NP roads. They are state roads and have nothing to do with politics and everything to do with Kalifornia’s poorly run DOT!

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I can keep yet ANOTHER thread from getting political on an RV forum.......here goes:

I've towed my (scaled) 8300lb TT with 3 different trucks. A 2500HD and 2 different 1500 Max Tows. The 2500HD was the most stable but not the best puller. One 1500 had the 6.2 w/ 8 speed and 3.42 rear with 19xx payload. It towed the best and got 11-12mpg while doing it. That said, it required the LTZ package which I wasn't willing to pay for this time around. My current truck has the 5.3, 6 speed and 3.73 rear and 20xx payload. Although the 6.2 has about 80 more HP, it isn't that noticeable when towing. Not sure if it's the 3.73 in the new truck or not. If you're shopping for a new 1/2 ton I would definitely look into a GM or Ford that can give you more payload. I had to order the 6.2 truck but the 5.3 truck was a dealer trade and there were several of those available. I personally wouldn't go over 7000lbs with a regular 1/2 ton or over 8500lbs with a max tow/ HD payload. I think just as important, maybe more, is the length of the trailer. Mine has an OAL of 35ft and it isn't for everyone on those windy days. I would try and stay under 29-30ft OAL for a 1/2 ton.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
2oldman wrote:
2edgesword wrote:

Are you serious? We visited most of the National Parks in Kalifornia and found where parts of roads that slid of the side of the mountain, Kalifornia’s fix was to put a sign up stating single lane! Took Rt. 199 to the Redwood NP and the road was winding and rock overhanging to the point you had to get into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting my 12’ tall TC! Took Rt. 120 into Yosemite NP, a rock slid occurred years ago, Kalifornia’s answer was to not fix but find an alternate route around it. Low and behold a rock slide fell on that route and we had to take a 5 hour round trip to get back into the park! Took Kalifornia over a month to remove that rock! New York roads are some of the best designed, best signed and best maintained roads in the United States.

National Park roads are federal. Soo Trump, blaming someone else for not properly maintaining federal lands where fires started when it's his responsibility, lol.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
2edgesword wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
Double check me but I'm pretty sure the curb weight includes a 150 lb driver, full fuel so the 1780 payload would be on top of that. If that is the case the 880 lbs (after subtracting the tongue weight) would be for passengers and gear.

I am 99% sure curb weight is for an empty vehicle. Many manufactures include a driver in a towing capacities, but not in the payload numbers.

Does splitting hairs over 150lbs actually concern you guys when talking trucks??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
2edgesword wrote:
Double check me but I'm pretty sure the curb weight includes a 150 lb driver, full fuel so the 1780 payload would be on top of that. If that is the case the 880 lbs (after subtracting the tongue weight) would be for passengers and gear.

I am 99% sure curb weight is for an empty vehicle. Many manufactures include a driver in a towing capacities, but not in the payload numbers.

Yep, Towing Capacity includes driver and full tank.
Payload Capacity includes ONLY full tank, not driver. Driver is considered as one of the Occupants.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And let’s not start up again about how a 6000lb truck pulling an 8-9000lb trailer is unsafe because the tail is wagging the dog.
You’re the same folks that are ok with pulling 15-20klbs behind an 8-9000lb “HD” pickup.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
6 pages in, there are lots of options in the 1/2 ton truck category. Namely any brand with the big engine and towing package.

Just pick one!
Want a diesel? You got 3? 1/2 ton options now. Want a big V8? Hemis, 6.2 chevys....
Want a high strung pull the guts out of an elephant turbo gasser? Fords got a couple of those beasts. Heck even the base V6 trucks have 300hp and essentially the same chassis as their counterparts that are now rated to tow like 11-12klbs.
Those that are pooping on 1/2 tons are either not well read on newer trucks, being obtuse for the sake of argument or can’t remember anything past that 1982 D150 with the 161?hp 318 and 3 on the tree!

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is an option available to you. Ford F150 with Heavy Duty Payload package and Maximum Tow package. Those two packages coupled with the 3.5 Ecoboost and 10 speed transmission will give you approximately 2200 lbs of payload (or more) depending on model, configuration, and options. A truck built for towing and will have a curb weight less than 6000 lbs unless you go overboard on the options.

But you won't find these on any dealer lot. If you are buying new you will have to order it. If you are trying to buy used, you probably won't find one.

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
BeerBrewer wrote:

mlh....I still have not totally ruled out a 250/2500 even though I'd have to register it as a commercial vehicle. The fact that I couldn't use most of the freeways on Long Island makes it a hard sell. So if I can safely tow the trailer we want with a 1/2 ton truck I have to seriously consider it. What rear end was in the truck that you traded in?

BeerBrewer, the rear end was 3.92. In my opinion, besides actually being overweight, the engine just wasn't enough. It was also kind of squirrely on the way home. This may be fine in some people's opinion, but I had a 2500 before and knew how much better it can be.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a 1500 being you are in NY, just making you aware that the numbers on the website could be way off once you actually weigh it.
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
mooky stinks wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:

Plenty of 60’s, 70’s and 80’s models

Jeremiah

Not in New York!:)

May have to travel to find a good one. Ha ha
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
This one is worse than California’s stupid 55 MPH speed limit while towing.
Many don't like it, but I do. Gives me an excuse for having 6 cars backed up behind me. LOL
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman