cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Coachman Lepracan coach battery?

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
On our last camping trip the coach twin 12 volt deep cycle batteries just died. I installed 2 new ones today but no power, lights or reading of the moniter guaves. I cranked the Motor, then the generator cranked, and all work just fine, I turned the ignition off, no problem, cut the generator off and lights all died, no voltage anywhere
Sounds like a breaker or fuse somewhere.
Any ideas???
Jamie in Alabamag
25 REPLIES 25

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
Well, more drama with trying to find the reason i’m getting no 12 volts to my coach. I did remember the generator having a breaker of some sort, so pushed or pull the unit, and it shut down the generator. So switched it back into its orginial position. Making matters even worse now, now the generator shuts down when i turn the cab motor off:(. I can win for loosing :). Before doing the generator breaker or wharever that unit does ( its a breaker) cause i had one in another Class C that did the same thing, but it brought back power to my old coach. Back to the battery cut of switch, took it out of its mounted place and there is zero voltage on either post positive or negative. Checked the negative to a common ground and it showed grounded.
Few more days of messing with this thing and its going to a shop, unbelievably aggravating.
Jamie

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should be looking for a larger fuse/circuit breaker. Somewhere around a 50 amp.
5 amp fuses could be for step or LP detector
Did you check around battery disconnect for fuse/circuit breaker?
Verify that the negative battery cables are connected to frame. It could be that there is more then one and someone dropped one.
Have you reset the 120 volt circuit breakers? Turn them to off applying light pressure toward off. Then turn main on followed by branch breakers.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
The positive line just goes under the coach, then all in a wrap of a buch of other wires. I’m taking a good halogen light tomorrow AM so i can really see and shoot more pics. I never got any voltage indication that the coach batteries were charging, same 12.6 with the cab running as well as the generator running. Both little 5 amp fuses in the compartment beside the batteries were bith good.
I’ll report back tomorrow, got to be a fuse blown, just have to find it

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
What I would do is start checking the voltages between the + and - battery posts, expect something in the 12.5v range. Then check between the + post an a ground. If you still have the 12.5v, then while keeping the ground meter contact, move the + meter connection out to the next connecting wire in the circuitry. Continue to move the + meter lead out along the connected wires until you lose the 12.5v. That's where your problem is.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Miss read earlier post!
It must be a fuse or circuit breaker between the 12 volt DC power panel and the batteries.
Did you trace out the positive lead from the battery as previously suggested?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
When my generator is running or plugged in the shore power all works fine, so the converter has to be working cause all lights and everything works. Its when your trying to run off the 12 volt batteries that nothing happing. Also not showing charging my coach batteries when plugged in or generator is running. Just no 12 volts if you were dry camping and not running the generator.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should have a converter.
Furnace, refer control, water pump, and lights are normally 12 volts DC.
Sounds like you do not have 120 volt AC power to the converter, reverse polarity fuses are blown on converter (if equiiped), or the converter is bad.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not sure my class C has a converter/inverter. My on board batteries only work my lights water pump.
The TV and all else i have to have the generator running or shore power. Weather the ford engine is running or generator is running by checking batteries voltage indicates nothings charging.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I would be measuring voltages to find the break in the circuit, starting at the battery itself, connectors to the batteries, fuses, disconnect relay, then the connectors to the battery bank and finally the fuse box. A wiring diagram could be very helpful.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Inverters use a much larger 12 volt DC wiring and fusing then a converter.
Between the battery and the converter, near the battery, you would be looking for a small 12 volt DC circuit breaker. A small unit, about an inch square with two studs. I would guess that it would have a rating of less then 50 amps.
Follow the positive cable from coach battery toward the battery disconnect.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jstrong499
Explorer
Explorer
I’’ll check tomorrow and report back,
Thanks

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Using a volt meter, check for power at the other end of the battery cables. Our rig has massive fuses in-line between the house batteries and their first serious connection which is to the whole house inverter as shown in the lower-left area.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Check the voltage on your battery disconnect. The two large posts are the 12 volt battery connection. One should have battery voltage, the other side with shore power disconnected should have zero volts if battery disconnect is off, with battery disconnect on it should have battery voltage. With shore power connected and the converter is working properly the coach side of disconnect should have 13+ volts from converter.
No voltage from battery would indicate bad connection either on positive or negative, or there is a hidden fuse or circuit breaker between battery and disconnect.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leave the disconnect connected when on shore power (including at home not camping) or the converter cannot look after the battery.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.