cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sedona, AZ to Chicago area

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to think about our upcoming summer trip. Beginning about June 1. Want to get to the Chicago area (actually Elgin) pretty quick to begin with. We've driven I-40/I-44 to St. Louis a few times in the car. Thinking about a different route for the RV. Please look at this and tell me what you think. Thought this route might be less populated than St. Louis and going north through IL. Also a chance to visit friends near Des Moines. I chose no toll roads in Google maps. Indicated a small portion of I35 going northeast at Wichita is toll, so put me on Hwy 50 around there to avoid the toll.

Route

Anything to note or be aware of on this route? Not planning to do much sightseeing along the way, but are there any must sees? Will be doing a combination of hookups and no hookups, so any suggestions of easy overnights along the way would be welcomed.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara
10 REPLIES 10

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when they had the "Javelinas on Parade" public art project in Sedona. I saw a few, but didn't get to see too many of them because I so rarely go to the Uptown area. You must have seen several more. I love that one in your picture! Thanks for sharing!
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Busskipper, thank you for your effort. We have been fortunate to have explored southwest CO in years past multiple times, even in the most fabulous Fall season. I have to agree that your new route would be a very wonderful drive, but doubt we'll do that this time. Hwy 36 out of Denver is interesting though. Didn't notice before that it went all the way to Denver. The only thing about driving those US routes is they usually go through many small towns where you have to slow down. But love seeing the country. So we'll see when we get to leave Sedona as to how much time we have...whether I'll choose 36 or an interstate...or a combination.

I was pretty sure you had seen all of Colorado - so Back to the Original - I-40 and the Diagonal across to RT 36 on into Chicago.

Excellent roads (RT 36 at least) Optional short route to Chicago Problem I have with Moab is it Like Zion is just too Crowded, so we tend to avoid till Winter 🙂

Best of Luck, and let us Know what you decide and how it went.

Thought you might enjoy this from years ago in Sedona;

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper, thank you for your effort. We have been fortunate to have explored southwest CO in years past multiple times, even in the most fabulous Fall season. I have to agree that your new route would be a very wonderful drive, but doubt we'll do that this time. Hwy 36 out of Denver is interesting though. Didn't notice before that it went all the way to Denver. The only thing about driving those US routes is they usually go through many small towns where you have to slow down. But love seeing the country. So we'll see when we get to leave Sedona as to how much time we have...whether I'll choose 36 or an interstate...or a combination.
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Hmmm...looks like several great options here. I have some thinking to do!

RoyF, you made me think of just driving up to Moab and getting on I70 to Denver. It would be nice to visit a friend who lives near Denver. But I also like DutchmenSport and Busskipper's ideas using US 36, avoiding the mass of Denver and any other big city.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Good thing I have awhile to think about it!

If you wanted to see some good Rocks in Colorado, Pick and Choose from this New Route through Colorado as it will still get you on RT36 🙂

So many options, just need more time.........IMHO this would be the Best of All Worlds - Beautiful Drive - See a Ton and if you don't have time to stop, at least the Drive was Great. Done this more than Once!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Ha ha! I could've told you that. I've been looking at those arches for 28 years. Uh..wait a minute...I don't think McDonald's was here when I first moved to Sedona.

Yes the city has color codes. There is a dome house (with several domes in a circle around a courtyard) that sits a bit outside the city limits that used to be painted bright Easter egg colors. City couldn't do anything about it. Look up that one 🙂
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quick silly fact I just read, Sedona is where the "Golden Arches" are not golden(Mc Donald's), they are teal/turquoise.....they felt the yellow would clash with the Red rock.

You can Thank Me later for this info.....:B
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...looks like several great options here. I have some thinking to do!

RoyF, you made me think of just driving up to Moab and getting on I70 to Denver. It would be nice to visit a friend who lives near Denver. But I also like DutchmenSport and Busskipper's ideas using US 36, avoiding the mass of Denver and any other big city.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Good thing I have awhile to think about it!
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Starting to think about our upcoming summer trip. Beginning about June 1. Want to get to the Chicago area (actually Elgin) pretty quick to begin with. We've driven I-40/I-44 to St. Louis a few times in the car. Thinking about a different route for the RV. Please look at this and tell me what you think. Thought this route might be less populated than St. Louis and going north through IL. Also a chance to visit friends near Des Moines. I chose no toll roads in Google maps. Indicated a small portion of I35 going northeast at Wichita is toll, so put me on Hwy 50 around there to avoid the toll.

Route

Anything to note or be aware of on this route? Not planning to do much sightseeing along the way, but are there any must sees? Will be doing a combination of hookups and no hookups, so any suggestions of easy overnights along the way would be welcomed.

Look this over - as we like many others have found RT 36 to be RV friendly - Busskipper's Map

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We've drivin that route, or portions of that route at one time or another.

My daughter and family lived near Ames, Iowa for a few years, so we became very familiar with the I-80 section. And then she moved to Kansas City, MO, so we became very familiar with the I-70 route (from Indiana).

I can't attest to anything West of Kansas City, although we have driven I-70 further West, but that's been many years ago.

So, what we found we liked best leaving Kansas City, was to take I-35 and then hit US 36 to Hannibal, Mo. (Be warned, this is 4 lanes, but no traffic, and very few gas stations along that route, so make sure you are filled up after you get past Kansas City, before exiting I-35.

From Hannibal, Mo, stay on I-75 till you hit I-55 at Springfield. Turn North on I-55 at Springfield until you hit I-39 at Bloomington, Illinois. Stay on I-39 until you hit US64 and go to Chicago.

We've driven these roads before over the years at one time or another, and I find them much more friendly than following I-80 from Des Moines to Davenport and 35 from Kansas City to Des Moines.

Good luck!

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Just me, but I find I-40 pretty boring across New Mexico, the Texas panhandle and Oklahoma. But what about I-25 to Denver, I-76 to I-80, then across Nebraska to Des Moines? About the same distance, no tolls, and (I think) better scenery.