cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Dr Doug

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
A while back you mentioned a safer alternative to Carprofen. Mikko my 14 year old Collie is having issues with his back legs, vet says inflammation. I had some left over Carprofen from When Lassie passed and have used it up. The meds made a huge difference in being able to walk and go up 4 stairs into the house.

I will go to the vet today to get more medicine and thought I would see if recommend anything different.
6 REPLIES 6

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
My dog Katie is on Carprofen temporarily. I had no idea it is Rimadyl until I read this thread. She was put under for teeth cleaning, ears plucked and two fatty tumors removed , one on her neck and one on her back. Everything is good with Katie except for my pocket book. :B

colliehauler, Best wishes and a speedy recovery for Mikko

Switch to the generic Rimadyl- Carprofen. Exact same stuff. I have used it on 3 Akitas in my life and ever time it turned am elderly dog into a playful puppy again. It is a Miracle Drug to me.
Just have to monitor the enzymes to make sure your dog doesn't have a reaction to it.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My dog Katie is on Carprofen temporarily. I had no idea it is Rimadyl until I read this thread. She was put under for teeth cleaning, ears plucked and two fatty tumors removed , one on her neck and one on her back. Everything is good with Katie except for my pocket book. :B

colliehauler, Best wishes and a speedy recovery for Mikko
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Thanks , the reason I asked was a few years ago when Lassie was still alive and another poster had similar issues I told them about Carprofen. You mentioned there were safer alternatives.

Vet told me about all nsaids were about the same.

Just trying to relieve the discomfort and pain. Mikko is 14 so I know he is not long for this world.

IMHO they are really not all the same.

I tried everything for my older dog that had spinal issues in his neck and lower back. In my case Rimadyl did absolutely squat for his pain.

He was in so much pain. Actually brought him in to be put to sleep. My vet suggested we try one more option.

He prescribed PreviCox.

This stuff is nothing short of a miracle. Works within minutes and with my dog eliminated all his pain.

He was put on PreviCox at the age of 14, once a day for 8 years. Pain free, no liver problems and it allowed him to live a happy life to the ripe old age of 22! I lost him just a few months ago from something other than his spine issues.

I would ask your vet for a couple of pills to give it a try for a day or so because you will know right away if it works for him. That's what I did and went running back to the vet for more it worked so well!

And BTW, In our house 14 years old was not considered that old! So hang in there with yours!:W

Red - 22 years old
Kenya - 19 years old
I will check into it, thanks.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Thanks , the reason I asked was a few years ago when Lassie was still alive and another poster had similar issues I told them about Carprofen. You mentioned there were safer alternatives.

Vet told me about all nsaids were about the same.

Just trying to relieve the discomfort and pain. Mikko is 14 so I know he is not long for this world.

IMHO they are really not all the same.

I tried everything for my older dog that had spinal issues in his neck and lower back. In my case Rimadyl did absolutely squat for his pain.

He was in so much pain. Actually brought him in to be put to sleep. My vet suggested we try one more option.

He prescribed PreviCox.

This stuff is nothing short of a miracle. Works within minutes and with my dog eliminated all his pain.

He was put on PreviCox at the age of 14, once a day for 8 years. Pain free, no liver problems and it allowed him to live a happy life to the ripe old age of 22! I lost him just a few months ago from something other than his spine issues.

I would ask your vet for a couple of pills to give it a try for a day or so because you will know right away if it works for him. That's what I did and went running back to the vet for more it worked so well!

And BTW, In our house 14 years old was not considered that old! So hang in there with yours!:W

Red - 22 years old
Kenya - 19 years old

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks , the reason I asked was a few years ago when Lassie was still alive and another poster had similar issues I told them about Carprofen. You mentioned there were safer alternatives. Vet told me about all nsaids were about the same.

dturm
There are many nsaids now used in dogs. I still like carprofen (Rimadyl - brand name first product out there). Any of the nsaids have potential risks and choices should be made based on underlying medical conditions and risk vs reward.

How about that for a non answer.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV