cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rockhouse Rd. Anza Borrego SP boondocking with dog

JT
Explorer
Explorer
I've read the "new rules" about where dogs can and cannot go (only where vehicles can, i.e., on the road and in the campsites, no trails or back country) when boondocking out along Rockhouse Rd. in Anza Borrego SP; any reports of recent actual experiences when camping with dogs in this area, good or otherwise?
7 REPLIES 7

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I guess your answer is no, OP LOL
I would suggest that you call headquarters and ask them. They are usually the best source of information.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
The further you go up that road, the more likely you'll encounter dogs off leash. Since the odds of getting caught violating the rules are not that great, people simply ignore the rules. You can walk your pet pretty much anywhere along the road past the campground because it's all dirt and dogs can be on dirt roads.

When taking a dog off the roads, the general rule is if it looks like a road or has vehicle tire tracks, you really wont get into any trouble if it turns out to technically be a trail. If the signs clearly say "trail" or "No Vehicles Allowed", that means it's not a road and you wont get away with the walk, talk & sound like a duck dodge.

Basically you'll get a pass if caught with a dog on a leash where it's not suppose to be, but expect a summons if the dog is off leash and caught. Most times when a person gets into trouble, their dog pretty much was nuisance or the owner was some jerk.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
JT wrote:
I've read the "new rules" about where dogs can and cannot go (only where vehicles can, i.e., on the road and in the campsites, no trails or back country) when boondocking out along Rockhouse Rd. in Anza Borrego SP; any reports of recent actual experiences when camping with dogs in this area, good or otherwise?

That touches on a related point: Does the "no dogs rule" mean only no dogs on the ground on trails ... or does it even include no dogs riding in a backpack on the backs of hikers on the trails?

i.e. We have an 8 lb. companion breed dog that loves to be with us in the great outdoors and can easily be carried by myself in a special backpack we have. Would this not be allowed under the rules?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rules old or new apply to ALL.

You've read the rules so what exactly is your question?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You said they were "new rules." They are not.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JT
Explorer
Explorer
My request was for any actual recent experiences with boondocking with dogs in the Rockhouse Rd. area; if anyone has any, great. If not, thanks anyway.:)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Those dog rules are NOT new for ABDSP. They have been around forever. What is newish is that the Rockhouse area used to not be part of the park and now it is.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed