cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those on the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton bubble...

dugwms
Explorer
Explorer
After upgrading from a half ton at the beginning of summer, we just got back from our first long trip involving steep hills with our new 3/4 ton. Just wanted to pass on our experiences. If you're trying to make a decision, go with the 3/4 ton. The experience is so much better. I know there will be those that say it can be done with a half ton and, yes, it can but the experience is much less stressful when you're not always concerned with the tow vehicle. Towing with the half ton was fine for short distances that didn't tax the vehicle but for trips of hundreds of miles up and down steep grades, a tow vehicle that is not maxed out, or close to it, is a wonderful feeling. Hill start assist? Wonderful thing. Saw other trucks stopping in traffic on steep hills try to get started and rolling backwards several feet or gassing it and spinning the tires on wet pavement. Grade braking? Awesome. Speed never increased more than 3 miles and hour regardless how steep the descent and I never touched the breaks. Always in control, never felt like the trailer was pushing the truck. I realize it is very dependent on circumstances but having a better tow vehicle makes traveling a much better experience.
75 REPLIES 75

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Marty and add a couple of penny thoughts...

Too often folks take things as an absolute...meaning that if the MTWR is 10,000 lbs, then EVERY TV configuration is rated for a 10K trailer (actual)

It all depends and there are many component factors of the 'system' that contribute to the bottom line for towing

It depends on the ICE architecture (type, cam profile, etc, etc, etc) the tranny gearing, the transfer gearing, the differential gearing and the tire rev's per mile. That determines the sizing (frontal area, weight, etc) of the trailer and the TV itself

That all things designed/engineered for towing are for the worst day (AKA a Mr Murphy moment) out there...FACTORED by the specifications (includes the fine print) published by the OEMs (plural...for the TV, Trailer, Hitch system and all the other components involved)

For on the good days...just about anything 'can do it'...

blt2ski wrote:
Hmmmm
Dutchman 15 vs 35 series trucks is the same issue I had with 35 vs a 65 series truck. The 2 -35 series lat 80s trucks burned up th400 trannies every 30jiles like clockwork. And stalled on any grade over 15% at their 10-11000 gvwr.
Got an mdt with proper gears in trans, axle etc, engine has less HP and torque, but has yet to stall out. Although came close at 40k lbs on an 18% grade...

As someone said, ANY truck, with proper payload, proper drive train spec for your purpose, is the correct rig. The met I have, great for under 50 mph local steeper roads driveways. But with 175 ponies, not a real good freeway rig. Barely hold 60 on 1% grade, much less on a level grade with a 20+ mph head wind. The 35 series I.had, great on freeway with 235 go, but sucked on local steep roads. Need something with proper gears for slow steep work, enough HP to.hold 60 on a 3% grade. If I'm doing low 50s on a 6% grade....oh well!

My towing performance spec for ANY truck I own. Not the b.s. low spec for current sae tow specs.

Marty
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

You plan on towing 10,500? Good luck.

I see it done successfully all the time so luck is not required.

And how many end up up-sizing to a 3/4-1 ton truck and say WOW, what a difference it tows so much better?

Must not be many because I sure see a lot these good folks doing it.

I read many diferent RV forums and I see plenty of 1/2 ton owners making the switch. Just because you see someone doing it doesn't mean they're really enjoying it.
I once owned a Pinto. I hated it but I'm guessing that the people that saw me driving it thought I liked it.

More internet amplification. You do know there are many campers on dealers lots that are designed to be towed behind a .5 ton truck.

I've also read many 2500 owners who brag about stepping up to a 3500 DRW but do they really enjoy driving it as a daily driver? You'll never hear them publicly admit that! Must be ex pinto owners :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

And how many end up up-sizing to a 3/4-1 ton truck and say WOW, what a difference it tows so much better?

I read many diferent RV forums and I see plenty of 1/2 ton owners making the switch. Just because you see someone doing it doesn't mean they're really enjoying it.
I once owned a Pinto. I hated it but I'm guessing that the people that saw me driving it thought I liked it.

blt2ski
Hmmmm
Dutchman 15 vs 35 series trucks is the same issue I had with 35 vs a 65 series truck. The 2 -35 series lat 80s trucks burned up th400 trannies every 30jiles like clockwork. And stalled on any grade over 15% at their 10-11000 gvwr.
Got an mdt with proper gears in trans, axle etc, engine has less HP and torque, but has yet to stall out. Although came close at 40k lbs on an 18% grade...

As someone said, ANY truck, with proper payload, proper drive train spec for your purpose, is the correct rig. The met I have, great for under 50 mph local steeper roads driveways. But with 175 ponies, not a real good freeway rig. Barely hold 60 on 1% grade, much less on a level grade with a 20+ mph head wind. The 35 series I.had, great on freeway with 235 go, but sucked on local steep roads. Need something with proper gears for slow steep work, enough HP to.hold 60 on a 3% grade. If I'm doing low 50s on a 6% grade....oh well!

My towing performance spec for ANY truck I own. Not the b.s. low spec for current sae tow specs.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fish, you're beating a deceased equine here. Just more weight cops who've never used trucks for a living and don't know what the trucks or themselves are capable of beyond what they read online....
Dutchman sport has the best reason, but with that, he's likely comparing a 20 year old 1500 Sub which is a pretty anemic tow rig compared to any of the new crop of 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer

Could not agree more!

We sold our 2011 F150 with max tow package and got a 2018 F150 long bed (164" WB) and the HDPP package.

It is a night and day difference.

We now have over 13,000 miles on it since July. Best truck we've ever owned. (we've had other F150's, a Dodge 2500 Diesel, a F250 Diesel, a few Toyota's, a Nissan, oh, and one Chevy 1500)

Approximately 7,000 of those miles have been towing our trailer. Most relaxed towing I've ever done. Our trailer, loaded, is only 6000 lbs. We have another 800 lbs in the truck (beside the tongue weight).

So we are no where near the payload max of 2600 lbs, nor anywhere near the towing max of 11,800 lbs.

The longer wheelbase & LT tires provide nice stability, even in 30 mph crosswinds.

Daily driving ranges between 20-22 MPG on regular.

Towing ranges between 10-12 MPG on regular.

At some point we may get a larger trailer, at that time we'll see how she does with a 9000 lbs loaded trailer.

It looks like you have more than enough truck for your trailer. In fact your truck has about 150# more payload than my 2500 Duramax. In fact my truck weighs almost what your GVWR is. The only concern I have by looking at your tags is and I could be wrong is that I think you will run out of your rear axle rating before you run out of payload especially if you go to a fifth wheel someday. My problem is almost the opposite in that I'll run out of payload before my rear axle. But I'm in the camp of as long as I'm not over my tire or axle ratings I am good with that. But none the less the F 150's are nice trucks and would be my truck of choice if I were in that market. It will be an excellent daily driver for you too.

My next truck will be a SRW 3500. I will never own a larger unit than I own right now so I know that will cover me for the future.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Very typical scenario when someone purchases the wrong truck/suv/burb to do the job. If the right truck/suv/burb with the best towing options was chosen for a specific trailer then the out come is different.....regardless of vehicle size.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
...Notice the amount of people on here ( not just on this thread) suggesting that a 350/ 3500 is needed to tow a light TT in the 6000lb range. Really absurd.

We each have our own reasons for doing what we do. Some fall into the 350 / 3500 category "regardless" ... even towing a tear drop "T@B" when a motorcycle could probably pull it.

I fall into the 350 / 3500 category myself, although I do agree a 250 / 2500 is more than adequate for most towing needs.

But the thing that forever changed my attitude, to go with the biggest, baddest, most robust truck for towing that can reasonably be afforded is because we had a 1500 Chevy Suburban towing a 6000 pound travel trailer. After owning the travel trailer for 3 months the transmission in the 1500 was destroyed. We replaced the transmission, but the Suburban never towed right, the engine seemed to never have enough torque, and it could barely crawl up even the slightest incline (and we're talking FLAT Indiana).

After spending a few thousand getting the transmission replaced and it towed miserable after that, we decided ... NEVER AGAIN! We jumped right into the 3500 series. Our first was a 3500 dually gasser. And we never looked back after that. The difference in the tow was unbelievable.

We bought this one used and it was well used. After a few years we traded for our first diesel 3500 dually used, and here again, the difference was like night and day. Unbelievable difference in the power and the ease of towing. By now, we were up to an 8000 pound trailer. Unfortunately, the body was fiberglas and it started spider cracking so bad, I was afraid I'd loose half the side of the truck on the freeway some day.

Traded for our current truck, brand new with a metal body. It had all the bells and whistles, tow haul, exhaust brake, cruise, dually, one heck of a towing beast. Unbelievable power.

I know, it looks really silly when I hitch up my 500 pound utility trailer behind that thing, but it is what it is.

Fast forward, we made the right decision when we had the opportunity. You never know what the future may hold. When we got our 3rd trailer, over 10,000 pounds, we had no problems towing, and then 3 months ago when we went to a 13,500 pound 5er, well... we didn't have to buy another truck and start all over.

So, I think most of us who are in the 350 / 3500 sailing ship are here because of experience, and probably a result of a bad experience towing something that was beyond the means of the truck we were using.

So, don't be too harsh on us. We've already taken our bumps and paid our expenses, and up scaled to a hefter truck because we once thought we were doing it right too.

So, when someone says, "Just get the 350 / 3500 dually and be done with it." isn't saying that without having a good reason. Maybe the next person won't be as stupid as (I) was and spare themselves having to go through 4 vehicles before finally getting the right one that will handle all situations.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:

KM_Rolling
Explorer
Explorer
dugwms wrote:
After upgrading from a half ton at the beginning of summer, we just got back from our first long trip involving steep hills with our new 3/4 ton. Just wanted to pass on our experiences. If you're trying to make a decision, go with the 3/4 ton. The experience is so much better. I know there will be those that say it can be done with a half ton and, yes, it can but the experience is much less stressful when you're not always concerned with the tow vehicle. Towing with the half ton was fine for short distances that didn't tax the vehicle but for trips of hundreds of miles up and down steep grades, a tow vehicle that is not maxed out, or close to it, is a wonderful feeling. Hill start assist? Wonderful thing. Saw other trucks stopping in traffic on steep hills try to get started and rolling backwards several feet or gassing it and spinning the tires on wet pavement. Grade braking? Awesome. Speed never increased more than 3 miles and hour regardless how steep the descent and I never touched the breaks. Always in control, never felt like the trailer was pushing the truck. I realize it is very dependent on circumstances but having a better tow vehicle makes traveling a much better experience.

Could not agree more!

We sold our 2011 F150 with max tow package and got a 2018 F150 long bed (164" WB) and the HDPP package.

It is a night and day difference.

We now have over 13,000 miles on it since July. Best truck we've ever owned. (we've had other F150's, a Dodge 2500 Diesel, a F250 Diesel, a few Toyota's, a Nissan, oh, and one Chevy 1500)

Approximately 7,000 of those miles have been towing our trailer. Most relaxed towing I've ever done. Our trailer, loaded, is only 6000 lbs. We have another 800 lbs in the truck (beside the tongue weight).

So we are no where near the payload max of 2600 lbs, nor anywhere near the towing max of 11,800 lbs.

The longer wheelbase & LT tires provide nice stability, even in 30 mph crosswinds.

Daily driving ranges between 20-22 MPG on regular.

Towing ranges between 10-12 MPG on regular.

At some point we may get a larger trailer, at that time we'll see how she does with a 9000 lbs loaded trailer.

Kevin & Mary
2018 Ford F150 3.5 EB HDPP 8' Bed - For Sale
2020 Ford F350 6.7 PSD 4X4 DRW CC LB
2019 Coachmen 271BL Toy Hauler

KC10Chief
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
KC10Chief wrote:
I used to have a 2002 F-250 with the 7.3L diesel engine. Fantastic truck! I sold it ten years ago and haven't had a camper since. I just bought a 2018 F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine with the intention of buying a travel trailer. It has a 13,200 lb tow rating! I'd never tow that much with this truck but it's not much less than my 2002 was. I plan on towing a trailer around 80% of the tow rating though when it's loaded up. The new half-tons are incredible. I bought it because I need to drive it on my 50 mile round trip commute as well. It's a great truck and very comfortable for when you're not towing as well.

Thanks!
2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat w/3.5L EcoBoost, 10 speed, Max Tow
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
KC10Chief wrote:
I used to have a 2002 F-250 with the 7.3L diesel engine. Fantastic truck! I sold it ten years ago and haven't had a camper since. I just bought a 2018 F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine with the intention of buying a travel trailer. It has a 13,200 lb tow rating! I'd never tow that much with this truck but it's not much less than my 2002 was. I plan on towing a trailer around 80% of the tow rating though when it's loaded up. The new half-tons are incredible. I bought it because I need to drive it on my 50 mile round trip commute as well. It's a great truck and very comfortable for when you're not towing as well.