Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestion For People Asking Tech Questions

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • Ask the question the best you know how
  • If the first few answers seem to be off track
  • Get back online and say you did not receive the answers you were looking for
  • If necessary state you are still unanswered
  • If you sit back do nothing and responses do not suit you please do not criticize
  • This is a Q&A forum, not a Q, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:: OPs by my opinion ask too few subsequent questions and followup demands for clarifications and explanations:: But if they fail to respond the ball is in their court. Thank you.
28 REPLIES 28

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use an ancient release verison of Photoshop, which I've used for at least 20 years - but it probably took me the first 5 years of part-time home use to finally get comfortable with it.

Although Photoshop is very complex, it is as a result VERY powerful - allowing you to do about anything to any image - including of course pulling in a digital photo from a camera (or a digital photo scanned off a good old print, magazine page, etc.) and overlaying arrows, pointers, comment balloons, etc.. You can doctor any photo at the pixel level to make it better, or vastly different from - what a low or high megapixel camera or smartphone originally captured.

The amazing thing about my good old Photoshop software is it has continued to run great no matter what Microsoft has done to their operating systems. My original Photoshop 32 bit software suite has run fine from the various XT OS releases all the way up to the latest Windows 10 release. How did Adobe do that??
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Paint works well for drawing stuff. Of course it takes a bit of practice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's making sketches and printing symbols over images that confounds me most. This site is probably one of the fastest loading of any financial or scientific site I use. I have downloaded and saved many PDF files. Thank you for the tip.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Hopefully this may be another useful idea (rather than useless criticism)

Learn how to post images, for me a horrible weakness in this regard is I have no idea how to draw a legible diagram or flow chart. Are there websites that can be used to find templates?

I spent three weeks some years ago preparing a nice pictorial showing how to modify a Megawatt. But is was all for naught because I had used Microsoft Word and the finished product was not transcribable to this forum's format. Discouraging. I am almost illiterate with computers.

David,

1. On the same laptop or computer that you use for this forum - use whatever software tool you feel comfortable with to draw/mark-up whatever diagram/picture that you want.

2. Save the result in .jpg format to the laptop's or computer's desktop.

3. Open this forum and write your forum message to go with your diagram/picture.

4. Then use this tool to easily import into your message the diagram or picture that you created: http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

5. Save/send your message along with the included url as in 4. above.

The above steps probably are what you already use, however. ๐Ÿ™‚

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully this may be another useful idea (rather than useless criticism)

Learn how to post images, for me a horrible weakness in this regard is I have no idea how to draw a legible diagram or flow chart. Are there websites that can be used to find templates?

I spent three weeks some years ago preparing a nice pictorial showing how to modify a Megawatt. But is was all for naught because I had used Microsoft Word and the finished product was not transcribable to this forum's format. Discouraging. I am almost illiterate with computers.

MrWizard
Chinglish

We have all read it, we have all bought something with mis-written instructions that makes little to no sense

This is not about the people as a whole, it's about inept translation of description and operational instructions
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yotta hear my insensitive remarks about Huns, squareheads, krauts, heelclickers, etc. My 100% ancestry.

Do I get upset when someone first calls me gringo or guero down here. Of course not. I once ducked into a cantina down here a real one not some tourist joint.

"Ayyyyy GRIIIINGO!" came a drunken cry from somewhere in the dark depths of the edifice.

"No Soy Gringo!" (I am not a gringo!") I replied

(the sound of chairs scraping against tile)

"Soy PINCHE gringo" (I am a DAMNED gringo!)

Raucous laughter erupted over the sound of various snoring coming from beneath some tables.

I was grabbed then sat at a table while serving up handshakes, and getting clapped on the back. I found myself with several bottles of beer and a couple of slugs of brandy. "Do you know Fresno amigo, perhaps you have seen my brother there?"

I wobbled out three hours later to the lament of my acquired friends

Lin my acquaintance in China paused for a moment when I mentioned the Chinese have a (to them) quite derogatory slur against Caucasians BIG NOSES. I laughed and said "Is it still (a slur) if the Big Nose has a small nose?" It tore him up. Lin Zao Peng is the person who told me a company who did not spend 5000 Renminbi to have an instruction manual correctly translated to various languages was an insult to China. He said the Chinese insist strongly that foreign products have Mandarin, Wu, or Scihuan translated correctly or the people would shun it.

Like it or not Chinglish is a mild form of racism against western culture.

Suck it up. It exists in all forms. Mexicans are amongst the most prejudiced people on earth.

Suck it up.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
I think the definition of trolling/troll fits Mexicowanderer to a T. About every other post pokes fun at asians and their "chingrish" and the "dragon" source etc, etc. Is this not the definition of a troll what is? Mex hides out in Mexico and lobs insults at other cultures and generates a few followers while he sits snobbishly in his little hideout. I've complained to the moderator numerous times but it continues. Heck Mex even has our moderator using the term "chingrish". So folks this is where trolling begins and is pervasive.

I don't think Mex is a troll. From time to time, he does like to initiate posts that are for the purpose of trying to make us think about possible solutions to a problem or issue. At least that how it seems to me.

"Chingrish"? That's an insensitive spelling of Chinglish that makes fun of someone's accent.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ernie1 wrote:
I think the definition of trolling/troll fits Mexicowanderer to a T. About every other post pokes fun at asians and their "chingrish" and the "dragon" source etc, etc. Is this not the definition of a troll what is? Mex hides out in Mexico and lobs insults at other cultures and generates a few followers while he sits snobbishly in his little hideout. I've complained to the moderator numerous times but it continues. Heck Mex even has our moderator using the term "chingrish". So folks this is where trolling begins and is pervasive.
I don't think the OP really qualifies as a troll, although some of his threads lean in that direction. But generally speaking, a troll has little to offer overall and just stirs the pot. You can't say that about the OP, he is knowledgeable about what he offers, even though the way he goes about it is sometimes brash and irritating.

And I think the word is "chinglish".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Trolling: "the deliberate act, (by a Troll โ€“ noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument."

Thanks much for the detailed definition!

I used to think it meant: "The deliberate act of asking random and/or controversial questions on various internet forums." ๐Ÿ˜‰
๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Responders could better stay on topic and not start a bunch of technical banter until the OP responds also. I believe some are still intimidated by a chatroom. I try not to post more than the OP until the situation has a primary resolution.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Trolling: "the deliberate act, (by a Troll โ€“ noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument."

Thanks much for the detailed definition!

I used to think it meant: "The deliberate act of asking random and/or controversial questions on various internet forums." ๐Ÿ˜‰

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"