cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 12volt power

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
First a little background information. I have a 2004 Jayco Class C with E450 chassis. Have not been able to use it in several months, but I do like to run the generator every so often to keep it working. For quite a while, the coach battery has been very low, so in order to start the generator, I just crank the V10 up, let it run a couple minutes, switch on the battery disconnect switch, and the generator gets its cranking power from the engine. However, today I went to start the generator and nothing happens. When I tried to switch on the disconnect switch, none of the 12volt lights or anything works. So my question is, do you think it is another bad disconnect switch or what. I replaced one about 9 months ago but it had different symptoms at the time. Also, if the coach battery is COMPLETELY dead will that cause this problem. Anyway, any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

LI-Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I previously owned a 2004 Greyhawk 27 DS that had the Iota converter WITH the jack socket. I bought the smart charger device that provided several charging stages. It would be a good idea to check to see if your 2004 has the jack socket. The device was not very expensive.
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
Sold 2004 Jayco 27DS MH
Wherever you go, there you are!!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
ISTR Jaycos around 2004 had the Iota converter without their usual jack socket for it that you could use their plug in device to get it to go to 14.x volts. That means it is single stage 13.6v if that is what you have. Several choices for a replacement that will do 14.x as well as 13.x, including a regular Iota (with IQ4)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Voltage on the battery while charging from engine or generator can be revealing. It needs to be over 14 volts for effective charging.

The battery voltage immediately after charging will still be the charging voltage. It takes hours before it goes down to be of some use estimating the state of charge. I disconnected the house and engine batteries on our class C in September and they are still more than 12.6 volts. Solar is the answer but get at least 100 watt panel.

A battery monitor displaying the % of full charge accurately by means of counting amp hours in and out can be had for $30 on eBay.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Dennis,

You may well be right, I mean that the house battery is toast.

Let's get something else straight here, the generator only charges the house bank by using the converter/charger the same as if you are on shore power. If that is an old or less capable unit, you might consider replacing it with a modern multi-stage unit. Find out what it is and come back here for suggestions.

Also, you kept talking about the battery as small and singular. If it is a single 12V and you expect to do any dry camping at all, then maybe you should try to replace it with a pair of GC2s. Golf cart batteries are designed to take some abuse. I just replaced an 8yo pair.

Is the coach somewhere that you can get to shore power? If not, you might look into a tiny solar panel to change the house bank while the coach is stored.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I just took the battery off the charger and will let it sit awhile and check the voltage then to see where I am. My 2004 Jayco I am sure has the original converter installed. Right now I am not going to buy a new battery or converter until I am sure I will be able to use the MH again. No sense spending money on a new battery that will just sit in the yard like it does now. Hoping for better times next year. Family situation prevents us from taking any kind of trips right now. If not better by spring time I will probably just sell it. Thanks for the information.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis,

You may well be right, I mean that the house battery is toast.

Let's get something else straight here, the generator only charges the house bank by using the converter/charger the same as if you are on shore power. If that is an old or less capable unit, you might consider replacing it with a modern multi-stage unit. Find out what it is and come back here for suggestions.

Also, you kept talking about the battery as small and singular. If it is a single 12V and you expect to do any dry camping at all, then maybe you should try to replace it with a pair of GC2s. Golf cart batteries are designed to take some abuse. I just replaced an 8yo pair.

Is the coach somewhere that you can get to shore power? If not, you might look into a tiny solar panel to change the house bank while the coach is stored.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
The generator started off the engine battery and ran for about an hour. I then removed the battery and put it on slow charge. I will let it charge overnight and check it tomorrow. Don’t have much confidence that it will take the charge but nothing to lose by trying.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
How long did you charge the battery with the generator? It will take several hours to charge the battery, maybe more than a day. I would plug in the RV and let the converter fully charge the battery. My Progressive Dynamics converter will run the battery through a "recondition Mode" which is suppose to help bring a questionable battery back to life My PD9245 helped me keep the battery performing in my Escaper (built on Toyota C & C) for several years.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information guys. I went back out there today and when I started the truck engine, it gave enough power to start the generator which I ran under load for a while. I then turned everything off and removed the house battery and have it charging now. I doubt it is going to hold a charge as it is now 6 years old but we will see what happens. For some reason yesterday the engine would not turn the generator over, but today it did. Anyway I will charge the battery overnight and check it again. By the way the battery showed 12.4 volts AFTER I ran the generator, but like I said, it probably won't hold.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The alternator charging of the house battery is no longer enough to raise the house battery voltage enough to start the generator. The house battery has gone down too far.

You will need a new house battery for sure. To just start the generator, perhaps a set of jumper cables and a good battery from somewhere will do it. (Even from your engine battery if the cables are long enough.)

You do need a way to keep the house battery and engine battery charged up. Shore power, solar, or something.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see anything in your post about charging your battery. Running the generator for a few minutes won't do much to charge it, and starting the engine discharges the battery quickly. As Old-Biscuit said, you need to get a voltmeter and see what your battery is doing. Remember, it takes hours to charge the battery but no where near as long to discharge it.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get the generator fired, make sure that the converter or inverter/charger is charging the coach battery.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
House battery dead...due to lack of sufficient charging
Parasitic loads from LP Detector etc drain battery within a couple weeks or less (depends on battery status)

Use voltmeter and measure house & chassis battery voltages
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31