Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida Rt 301

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to Fort Myers on Sunday.
Does anyone know what the road close is on Rt 301 near Stark, Florida.
Looking at Google maps and it shows road closure there. Pulling a 40' 5er & wondering if there is a doable detour.
Crossing Florida on 301 is about the easiest part of the drive.
12 REPLIES 12

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whiskey River , Please be careful inviting Yankees down here , just have them mail their money ! Just kidding , we love everybody !

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I was the OP.
I came thru there Tuesday. It is all open but they are working on the by pass. No back up or hold up when I came thru. There are some lane changes etc but well marked and no problem... Come on down....

dtgunner7
Explorer
Explorer
Any one traveled this route in last couple of days??

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Just came that same route on December 2, no problems, just the normal traffic \
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Whiskey River wrote:
When you put your mouse arrow over the bottom, south side red dot it says "Road Closed" Road Closure on US-301.
Just so you know I was not dreaming this up.
Thanks again...

IIRC, one SIDE of the existing road is closed.....and all the traffic uses the other side of the pavement.

That is quite different that the road actually being closed to traffic.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:
301 is a wonderful drive except for a few problems in small towns. Callahan, no problems until Baldwin where your chances of getting held up by a train is better than 50-50. Lawtey watch your speed and don’t blink. Starke, slow going threw about 2 miles of stop lights but not a nightmare, depending on truck traffic. Hampton dried up. Waldo used to be “THE” AAA speed trap. Still, watch your speed. No problems Orange Heights, Hawthorne, Locklossa, Island Grove, Citra. Approaching Ocala you could jump over on I-75 via 326 or continue on south. Take your time and enjoy the scenery.

Ditto on that, Starke is no big problem for traffic. Some red lights and that's about it. Lawtey is the speed trap but it's only a couple miles thru the town with one light. The governor of Florida even paid for a couple of billboards warning that it was a speed trap. Waldo got a bum rap about being a speed trap but AAA (IIRC) looked at the tickets issued and the speeding ones were all for at least 15mph OVER the speed limit. Still I do watch my speedometer going thru. That's where we turn off for Gainesville anyway.

Hampton engaged in very shady dealings trying to get in on the speed trap business. The town has been dis-incorporated and taken over by the county. Florida knows that we get a lot of money from tourism and will act to protect tourists whenever it can.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all...
I went back to google maps & googled Stark, Fl & nothing.
But I was checking the mileage from Brunswick, Ga to Ft Myers & when you put that into google maps for directions there is 2 red dots on either side of Stark on Rt 301. When you put your mouse arrow over the bottom, south side red dot it says "Road Closed" Road Closure on US-301.
Just so you know I was not dreaming this up.
Thanks again...

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
301 is a wonderful drive except for a few problems in small towns. Callahan, no problems until Baldwin where your chances of getting held up by a train is better than 50-50. Lawtey watch your speed and don’t blink. Starke, slow going threw about 2 miles of stop lights but not a nightmare, depending on truck traffic. Hampton dried up. Waldo used to be “THE” AAA speed trap. Still, watch your speed. No problems Orange Heights, Hawthorne, Locklossa, Island Grove, Citra. Approaching Ocala you could jump over on I-75 via 326 or continue on south. Take your time and enjoy the scenery.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of construction going on in Starke due to the bypass they are putting in. Starke is a nightmare for traffic and hopefully bypass will fix it.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
There is ongoing construction in the area but I don't think it is practical to close it......because there really is NO practical detour available and it has a LOT of traffic on it.

I go that way about 4 times a year and haven't had any trouble yet.

The intersection with I-10 is a pain, but that is one of the things they are rebuilding.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't seen anything in the local paper about 301 being closed. I haven't been up there in months but I can't believe that they would close that major highway. FDOT usually does lane closures if they are working on a big road and mostly does those after 6PM to 5AM.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
FDOT is not showing any problems near Starke except the normal morning traffic slowdowns.

fl511.com
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate