cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slow data speed on your cell phone??

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI if you are experiencing low data speed.

I have an older phone from Walmart with Straight Talk.

The past few months I have only been able to connect to the internet with 1X.

Thought I needed a newer phone and talked to one of the clerks in the phone department at Walmart.

She said all I had to do was call Straight Talk and have them push an update to my phone.

Well I called them. You do have to wait on the phone a bit while they do their thing. Said to shut phone off and then on. If it didn't work I would receive another call back.

Call back came thru I said it didn't work and they gave me a special code to put in phone.

Put code into phone and VOILA I know had the correct data speed back!! :B

That wonderful customer service girl in Walmart saved me hundreds of dollars on a new phone I didn't need.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

10 REPLIES 10

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
could be why. I don't ever use WiFi that is turned off. I live rurally no WiFi out in the sticks!!
:h
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Good for you. I'm surprised that Straight Talk doesn't push the updates automatically when you are on wifi.

That is kinda odd... usually stuff like that just happens.
could be why. I don't ever use WiFi that is turned off. I live rurally no WiFi out in the sticks!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
If you are keeping it off most of the time you may be blocking the updates from coming in automatically.
Yep. Hard to update when it's off.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happened with my last phone.. I had to change a setting then re-boot. And WOW. high speed data was mine.

The "Update" had been pushed. but I had to enable it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are keeping it off most of the time you may be blocking the updates from coming in automatically.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
No its an old phone. I have unlimited data and rarely use it.keep it shut off until I need it.
I'm thinking if the phone is older(moto)maybe they probably can't auto update it??? All I know is I didn't have to buy a new one. Works for me!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, never heard of having to ask for an update, let alone on the phone. Is there some underlying reason they don't want you using a lot of data?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI'm surprised that Straight Talk doesn't push the updates automatically when you are on wifi.โ€œ

Could that cost ST to push automatically? Iโ€™d guess thatโ€™s the reason but in the long run... Gotta make those quarterly dividends.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Good for you. I'm surprised that Straight Talk doesn't push the updates automatically when you are on wifi.

That is kinda odd... usually stuff like that just happens.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board