cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Simpler Explanation Of The Measurement Of ONE HORSE POWER

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
One horsepower equals 550 foot pounds (pound feet) per second.

In high school, in physics class, I generated 1 horsepower by running up a flight of stairs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage
56 REPLIES 56

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The consumer does not design the dern thing. We just buy what we can afford, from whatever is available, that will do the job. For the best Dutch Star DP that I could afford, I paid extra for the engine option with the most torque. The Spartan chassis has worked out well. Too bad the roof design was so substandard. The failed roof really did a number on the ceiling. I'm not complaining because everyone, right away, tells me it's my fault. So, whenever I get to check out a new ALL-electric DP wannabe, I'll thoroughly study the design of the roof FIRST!
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

I can see it now

"When will the power come back on?"

"Quien Sabe? But it is said there is a lottery being started to guess the date--millions and millions of pesos being bet"

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
Yes when you consider the fact that the Tesla has a 0-18000 rpm operating range it is very impressive.

Good grief!!

How did the Tesla engineers design so as to control the gyroscopic effect on the vehicle with masses sometimes rotating in those high RPM ranges?

For instance, I have carried my Honda generator around while it's running at it's 3600 RPM - and the effect from it jurking my arm around is profound.

(Boy-o-boy ... are we off topic or what!)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I did a little checking and it looks like they limit torque at higher RPM to control thermal problems. The motor could keep up the torque but it would lower life expectancy. So the drop off after 6000 rpm is electronically applied. They could have added better cooling and kept the torque up...but the car is already overpowered.

A couple of notes:
- At zero RPM, it by definition, you don't have 2hp.
- The graph is misleading as they are comparing it to a drastically less powerful gas engine. I'm guessing they used a turbo engine as most torque curves are much more rounded and will result in a wider power HP band (they left the HP off the chart...presumably to help with the misleading).

Of course they limit power otherwise it would pull too much current and things start melting and catching fire. Its not that the motor won't try, it will accept the power as any hunk of metal would.

Yes zero rpm is 0 hp, but an electric motor has usable hp from 1 to your gas engines stall speed. A 3/4 hp pump motor might have a 4hp peak as it pulls large amounts of current during startup from 0 to operating rpm. It cannot sustain that peak without damage, so its operating or rated hp is much lower.

The point with the graph is the rpm range, a more powerful gas engine still does not have a larger rpm range, just more torque and power in that narrow rpm range. Again the electric motor produces a relatively flat power curve over an rpm range that entirely encompass a gas engines operating range. It doesn't come in until 6000 rpm the redline of many gas engines, so they just gear it down without the need for gear shifting.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
jharrell wrote:

Not sure what electric motors you are looking at but this is not my understanding. An induction motor such as on a typical electric pump will pull current based on load exceeding its rated hp if needed at any rpm (perhaps tripping a breaker or overheating). The locked rotor torque and pull up torque can be much higher than rated torque in order to bring the motor up to operating speed.

I guess one issue is the case of a set speed induction motor is how hp is rated between gas and electric, gas is peak, while the electric is operating hp. A 3/4 hp electric motor may have a peak of well over 2 hp from zero to operating speed.

When you get into variable speed electric motor such as those used in cars the power band is still far superior. For instance Tesla has peak hp at 8000 rpm but produces more than 80% of peak from 6000-13,000 rpm, a 7000 rpm range that is an rpm range greater than the entire operating range of many gas engines. Hence the need for only a single speed transmission:

I did a little checking and it looks like they limit torque at higher RPM to control thermal problems. The motor could keep up the torque but it would lower life expectancy. So the drop off after 6000 rpm is electronically applied. They could have added better cooling and kept the torque up...but the car is already overpowered.

A couple of notes:
- The graph is misleading as they are comparing it to a drastically less powerful gas engine. I'm guessing they used a turbo engine as most torque curves are much more rounded and will result in a wider power HP band (they left the HP off the chart...presumably to help with the misleading).

They must reduce torque at high RPM in order to limit available HP at high RPM. (check the torque equation). If torque remained constant over the high RPM range, the HP would continue to increase and eventually the motor mechanical components would simply break! The motor would self destruct. This is typical for a variable frequency motor and drive application. The motor is built from components that will break eventually. Don't go beyond that point. Ask a top fuel dragster owner!!
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
jharrell wrote:

Not sure what electric motors you are looking at but this is not my understanding. An induction motor such as on a typical electric pump will pull current based on load exceeding its rated hp if needed at any rpm (perhaps tripping a breaker or overheating). The locked rotor torque and pull up torque can be much higher than rated torque in order to bring the motor up to operating speed.

I guess one issue is the case of a set speed induction motor is how hp is rated between gas and electric, gas is peak, while the electric is operating hp. A 3/4 hp electric motor may have a peak of well over 2 hp from zero to operating speed.

When you get into variable speed electric motor such as those used in cars the power band is still far superior. For instance Tesla has peak hp at 8000 rpm but produces more than 80% of peak from 6000-13,000 rpm, a 7000 rpm range that is an rpm range greater than the entire operating range of many gas engines. Hence the need for only a single speed transmission:

A couple of notes:
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Compared to the fact Quicksilver needs to recharge every 2,000 miles means something as well.

Nothing a 4 megawatt-hour battery can't solve plus a 12 megawatt charger to get back on the road in 15 minutes...
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to the fact Quicksilver needs to recharge every 2,000 miles means something as well.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes when you consider the fact that the Tesla has a 0-18000 rpm operating range it is very impressive.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I agree that there are reasons to appreciate the capabilities of an electric motor. The only point i was making is that stating an electric motor has the ability to generate 80% of its peak power over a 7000 rpm operating range doesn't mean much when that operating range is from 6000 to 13000 rpm.

Sorry I disagree the ability for the motor to run 0-18000 rpm while generating peak power over the middle of its range is a big reason why it doesn't need a multi speed transmission, along with 0 rpm max torque.

I believe Teslas a geared to reach max power between 40 and 70 mph. THe semi is interesting it looks like they are doing 23:1 on one axle and 19:1 on the other allowing an electronic blending of the ratio. Either way more than double the torque multiplication of the model 3 max power will come in much lower probably 20mph.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
jharrell wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Keep in mind that reving the engine from 6000 rpm to 13000 rpm is only increasing the vehicle speed by a factor of 2.17. The Cat in my Peterbilt makes 400 HP by 1100 rpm, reaches a peak of 500 hp by 1300 rpm and holds the power flat to 2100 rpm. So even a big slow turning diesel can double the speed of the vehicle while maintaining 80% of its peak HP.

So real RPM matters here not just rpm factor. A Tesla model 3 goes 0-140 mph with a single speed 9:1 gearbox. That means its torque is multiplied 9x to the wheels across all rpms. Your diesel cannot do that, the gear ratio needed to run at highway speed would not multiply the torque enough off the line to get the vehicle moving and stall the engine.

Your diesel has 0 power and torque below what 600-700rpm because below that it stalls. The Tesla motor has max torque from 0-6000 rpm with usable power all the way.

Also you are comparing a 3000lbs diesel engine to a electric drive that weighs maybe 300lbs with inverters. The Tesla semi has 4 Tesla model 3 motors for 1000hp and 2000lb-ft of torque which weigh maybe about a 1000lbs with inverters. I would imagine the gear ratio is lower than 9:1 since they don't need to go to 140mph meaning even greater wheel torque multiplication.

Diesel are better than gas for sure when it comes to power curves, but they are heavier and more expensive to make due to the more robust design needed to take the high compression ratios and consequently torque numbers (along with direct injection and force induction). Electric still easily surpasses it though when it comes to power curve.

I agree that there are reasons to appreciate the capabilities of an electric motor. The only point i was making is that stating an electric motor has the ability to generate 80% of its peak power over a 7000 rpm operating range doesn't mean much when that operating range is from 6000 to 13000 rpm.
B&W Companion

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Keep in mind that reving the engine from 6000 rpm to 13000 rpm is only increasing the vehicle speed by a factor of 2.17. The Cat in my Peterbilt makes 400 HP by 1100 rpm, reaches a peak of 500 hp by 1300 rpm and holds the power flat to 2100 rpm. So even a big slow turning diesel can double the speed of the vehicle while maintaining 80% of its peak HP.

So real RPM matters here not just rpm factor. A Tesla model 3 goes 0-140 mph with a single speed 9:1 gearbox. That means its torque is multiplied 9x to the wheels across all rpms. Your diesel cannot do that, the gear ratio needed to run at highway speed would not multiply the torque enough off the line to get the vehicle moving and stall the engine.

Your diesel has 0 power and torque below what 600-700rpm because below that it stalls. The Tesla motor has max torque from 0-6000 rpm with usable power all the way.

Also you are comparing a 3000lbs diesel engine to a electric drive that weighs maybe 300lbs with inverters. The Tesla semi has 4 Tesla model 3 motors for 1000hp and 2000lb-ft of torque which weigh maybe about a 1000lbs with inverters. I would imagine the gear ratio is lower than 9:1 since they don't need to go to 140mph meaning even greater wheel torque multiplication.

Diesel are better than gas for sure when it comes to power curves, but they are heavier and more expensive to make due to the more robust design needed to take the high compression ratios and consequently torque numbers (along with direct injection and force induction). Electric still easily surpasses it though when it comes to power curve.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
jharrell wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Correction, the horsepower band for a gas motor is typically wider than an electric motor.

It has to do with the fact that typical electric motors can generate peak HP from 0 to max RPM...the result is the higher the RPM, the higher the HP (sometimes at the top there are some oddities in the torque but they typically are outside normal operating ranges). The result is a linear increase in available HP as RPM increases.

On the other hand, typical gas engines (and diesel) start with relatively low torque and the torque increases as the RPM increases ...but as you near peak RPM, the torque often starts to drop off. The result is the actual HP being generated (not the rating) for a similarly rated engine starts lower but builds more quickly before dropping off around the peak RPM...

This results in a range of ideal RPM where you can produce peak (really near peak) HP for a particular engine. For an electric, peak is generally only at the peak RPM.

B&W Companion

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
A similar way to think about this is:
- Torque (at the wheels) determines...IF you can climb the hill.
- HP determines...how FAST you can climb the hill.

Unless I'm not interpreting the above correctly ... what you say seems to support my thinking that goes something like this: "Horsepower is horsepower - so given the same weight to haul and given the proper gearing for each - a 400 HP gas engine should be able to haul anything at the same speed that a 400 HP diesel engine can".

(Not considering altitude of course, since so many modern diesel engines are turbocharged but so many modern gas engines aren't.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C