Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Will it pull my trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Will it pull my trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/18 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tragusa3 wrote:

I don't feel like the V6 offers that much advantage in economy when not towing. It probably doesn't do quite as well with economy towing. There's too little reason to not just go with the larger engine options. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I towed that weight trailer on a cross country trip with the same weight you have. I did it with the Ecoboost 3.5 in an F150. What a pleasure that trip was! I could just about drive as if I didn't have a trailer. A year later, since I knew my truck was capable, we moved up in trailers to twice the weight. I didn't have to buy a new truck again and saved a ton. Don't underestimate how things change.

There's more truth to this the newer the truck is.
With today's high powered ecus, AFM, cyl deactivation, 6-10 speed trans, the gap is even closer.
Although I believed that more heartily until recent. I was used to getting 15-17mpg unloaded in my 2016 5.3 Silvy. Idk if the dealer re flashed it when I had the trans serviced or what, but it's dropped to 13-15mpg immediately. Also everything was reset in the dic which tells me they screwed with something.
on topic, I'd try to drive a couple trucks, v6 v8 same loop same conditions and see what the actual daily driving mpg difference is.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/18 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having started the rv adventure with 3 popup trailers followed by two travel trailers before purchasing our first MH this spring, I tend to think the better investment will be a full sized V8 1/2 ton pickup at the minimum. Unless money is no object, buy a truck that will allow for future trailer purchases and minimize future costs by buying one truck and keeping it for the long haul. Then, if you choose to move up to a larger trailer to meet changing needs or wants, you won't have to add the cost of changing vehicles.

By not changing tow vehicles, you could take the savings and buy a used, fuel efficient car for your daily driving needs.

IF you think you may want to eventually tow something that will weigh 8K or more when loaded, then consider going diesel if possible. I never went that route, but if you get the diesel now, then you can move up to a fifth wheel trailer if you eventually want a rig for longer stays and more extensive traveling.

BUT...yes, it sounds like the truck you are looking at will tow the trailer. However, any future trailer changes will be very limiting with that truck. And...make sure you crunch the real numbers i.e. payload, realistic weight of the trailer with added gear, impact of carrying bicycles for the family (if applicable), etc.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/18 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only one who can say if it tow satisfactorily is you. My 25 ft. Dutchmen crosses the CAT scales at 6200 lbs. 750 lbs. of that is on the tongue. I have a E-boost F-150 and it has towed just fine in my book for the last 35,000 miles.

Would a bigger truck be better? Sure. You can never have too big a truck However you can have too expensive a truck.

The only person who knows which it is you.

Your truck was a max cargo limit and a towing limit that is what it was designed to do. Few folk know or worry about close to or over the limit they are.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/18 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ppine wrote:

If you want to pull something get a real truck.

Hey, your buddies called. They want you to come over and beat your chest with them.
Make sure you show up in a 1 ton diesel so they don't laugh at you though!

Maybe you have never pulled big horse trailers, or large RVs or a backhoe. Nobody keeps the same lightweight trailer for the rest of their lives.

If you want to pull someting get a real truck. Then you don't to sell your other truck and find a new one. Then you don't have to borrow your friend's truck. Then you don't have to worry about burning up the transmission. If are going to be a dick go somewhere else.

JBledsoe

Caldwell, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My neighbor and I both have TT's similar to the OP's. We have similar trucks, his is a six cylinder Chevy, Mine a GMC 5.3. His is a dog when pulling, Mine is a joy. My 5.3 V8 gets better mileage than his both loaded (pulling) or unloaded (as a daily driver). His needs to work harder whereas mine just loafs along except for the steep mountain roads where the Tow/Haul feature comes in handy.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

ppine wrote:

Hey, your buddies called. They want you to come over and beat your chest with them.
Make sure you show up in a 1 ton diesel so they don't laugh at you though!

Maybe you have never pulled big horse trailers, or large RVs or a backhoe. Nobody keeps the same lightweight trailer for the rest of their lives.

If you want to pull someting get a real truck. Then you don't to sell your other truck and find a new one. Then you don't have to borrow your friend's truck. Then you don't have to worry about burning up the transmission. If are going to be a dick go somewhere else.

Not everyone pulls a backhoe or horse trailer. I'll probably go most of my life without doing that. a half ton will work just fine with 90% of the trailers i see in camp grounds. There's no need to over buy a truck for the one time in your life you might need it. No one keeps the same trailer for the rest of their lives just like no one keeps trucks for the rest of their lives.

A v6 may not be his best choice but a V8 1/2ton will certainly be enough truck.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Some day you are likely to have a heavier trailer.

What on earth is a “real” truck?
I certainly don’t want an imaginary one.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

ksu_j

Topeka

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark and Linda wrote:

I have a 2007 Chevrolet with a 5.3 V8. On the interstate I get about 22 mpg. If I hook my two wheel utility trailer to it...16-18 depending on the load. Pulling our 2009 Puma 25RS....it goes to about 11-13. 13 being on a good day.

I just "downgraded" from a 2008 3/4 ton Suburban to a 2015 1/2 ton GMC Sierra with the 5.3/3.42. Both the 6.0 in the Suburban and the 5.3 in the Sierra had 355hp and 383ft/lbs of torque. That said, my half-ton is easily better pulling my camper than the Suburban was. Now, to be honest the Suburban was "sick" I think. It just never felt right, always felt underpowered, could hardly ever hold 6th gear unloaded on the highway.

The new truck is nicer in every way. My camper is about 6,000lbs loaded. My towing capacity in the Suburban was 9600lbs. Towing capacity in the Sierra is 9200lbs. Sure I give up a little in payload 2000 down to 1800, but it's a much better puller.

Oh yeah. Gas mileage was the primary reason I made the change. The Suburban was getting 12-13 empty and 7-8 pulling. The new truck got 10 with the camper through the Flint Hills of Kansas, and gets 19-21 empty on the highway. A bit worse in town, 15-16. But I've also learned how to drive it in town in V4 a lot of the time to help with it.

So all of that is to say, I'd get the 5.3 and not look back. Far superior power and a negligible, if any, MPG penalty.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a common theme on this forum. People wringing their hands about whether they have enough truck to pull their trailers.

There is a simple solution. Spend the money, step up and buy a truck like a 3/4 ton that is designed to pull with. A truck with sufficient torque, an 8 foot bed, a trans cooler and the right gears. Then life is simple when it comes to towing.

There are some better 1/2 ton trucks now, but I would never own a truck with a 5.5 foot bed or ev en a 6.5 foot bed.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

There is a common theme on this forum. People wringing their hands about whether they have enough truck to pull their trailers.

There is a simple solution. Spend the money, step up and buy a truck like a 3/4 ton that is designed to pull with. A truck with sufficient torque, an 8 foot bed, a trans cooler and the right gears. Then life is simple when it comes to towing.

There are some better 1/2 ton trucks now, but I would never own a truck with a 5.5 foot bed or ev en a 6.5 foot bed.
I don't see anyone wringing their hands. They are simply asking questions about what is needed to do the job.
Just because a 3/4 ton is right for you, doesn't mean it is right for the rest of the world. For some people a 1/2 ton is just fine.
Funny how your simple solution is "Just Spend Money", might be pretty easy in your shoes. Others may need to work with ratings that cover their needs and put off having icing on their cupcake for another day.

OP, you can get accurate, unbiased (un-opinionated) information to work this through yourself here: Clicky

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Will it pull my trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.