Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trying to buy new Jeep (hard)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Trying to buy new Jeep (hard)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This might help it is a Ram/Jeep VIN checker and will provide a build sheet for the vehicle with all options.
Jeep Vin Checker

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

mike brez wrote:

I had no problem just now building a Cherokee with active11

Went to jeep.com,click on build&price,choose Cherokee latitude PLUS click build. It's not available on the plain Latitude
Choose DFJ trans or just click on details. To get the trans you must choose either the 2.0L I4 DI turbo engine(EC1) or the 3.2 v6 24 valve VVT engine(EHK)
In a nut shell if you see a build sheet or window sticker and you see code DFJ it's the active11. Or for that mater if you see a $1,205.00 option it's the active11 trans

[image]

[image]

x2 I just tried this and it works

Yep, this works perfectly. I was just not scrolling up enough when I checked the details on the dojo tranny option. I just coached a dealer sales buyer on how to get me what I want. Thanks much!!!

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

Now the local dealer has found one in CO he can get for us. No thanks, we don’t want the first 2k miles on the vehicle to not be us.
I doubt the lot boy is going to drive it up. Vehicle would go on a car hauler. Maybe add 1 mile to the odometer.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

Now the local dealer has found one in CO he can get for us. No thanks, we don’t want the first 2k miles on the vehicle to not be us.
I doubt the lot boy is going to drive it up. Vehicle would go on a car hauler. Maybe add 1 mile to the odometer.

Good point. However, thanks to the help above, I have found exactly what we want just a few hours drive away and also have a local dealer preparing a special order price. Looking much better now!

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/18 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can tow a 2014 CRV and there are some on the market that look brand new. Toss in a new Android radio and there isn't much difference than 2018. Just a thought.

Kevin

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

You can tow a 2014 CRV and there are some on the market that look brand new. Toss in a new Android radio and there isn't much difference than 2018. Just a thought.

We sure do love the CR-V. We have bought three over the years. The deciding factor though has been the desire to raise the tow bar connections up. With the long drop hitch we now use, tail drag is sometimes an issue and the CR-V is not much higher than what we have. Thanks for the help.

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/18 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shop Here

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want anything other than the Trailhawk, I can see where it might be a challenge. One reason we went with the Trailhawk is the 4WD Trailhawk comes with the transfer case that shifts to neutral for towing.

WW

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dubdub07 wrote:

If you want anything other than the Trailhawk, I can see where it might be a challenge. One reason we went with the Trailhawk is the 4WD Trailhawk comes with the transfer case that shifts to neutral for towing.

WW

It was a challenge, but thanks to the help here I finally figured it out and we just made a deal on a Lattitude Plus that has the active drive II. Will pick up next week.

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/18 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

DW and I have been looking for a new or good used toad. We have had several Honda CR-V’s in the past but alas, they are no longer towable we also want something as high up as possible to reduce the size of the drop hitch we need and the resulting tail drag on occasion.

This has led us to the Jeep Cherokee. Wow, what an experience! Finding real facts out has been quite a challenge. We know that only the Active drive II 4x4 is towable since it has a transfer case that can be switched into neutral. The problem is that when looking online a dealer stock, it only shows 4x4, not if it is active I or active II. This makes finding a suitable model a very tedious process of calling on each car.

Today we drove 2 hours to see and buy a new Cherokee only to find out it did not have the correct driveline. We were then told by the salesman we could not get the Lattitude Plus with the active II transfer case. So DW went and got a Cherokee brochure and showed him where the Latitude Plus can indeed be so equipped. He then told us it would have to have the 4 cylinder with turbo or the V-6. That also proved to be false.

We came home and I scoured the Jeep.com site again and attempted to “build” the model we wish with the active II system. Nowhere can one make that selection. Only 4x4 is allowed with no differentiation between the two types.

One more strange note. On the Jeep site on some models two options for the 9 spend tranny are offered one costing $1205 more. Curious, I clicked on the detail description of both to see the difference. Both had EXACTLY the same wording! No explanation of why one is more or what benefit it offers.

Now the local dealer has found one in CO he can get for us. No thanks, we don’t want the first 2k miles on the vehicle to not be us. I suspect in the end we will sit down with someone that actually knows jeeps if we can find anyone and order what we want from the factory. Would prefer not to do that but may be the only way.

I doubt they will drive it 2000 miles, it will get put on a truck.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Trying to buy new Jeep (hard)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS