Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trying to buy new Jeep (hard)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Trying to buy new Jeep (hard)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

If you want anything other than the Trailhawk, I can see where it might be a challenge. One reason we went with the Trailhawk is the 4WD Trailhawk comes with the transfer case that shifts to neutral for towing.

WW

It was a challenge, but thanks to the help here I finally figured it out and we just made a deal on a Lattitude Plus that has the active drive II. Will pick up next week.

Happy you found what you were looking for.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/14/18 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

At the Jeep forum in the wrangler section their is a fellow Craig Benner from Koons Jeep he is the Internet guy. It has to be ordered but he can get you some great deals. Not sure if he does anything with the Cherokees though. They have a few in stock on their lot I just looked up. Here is one of them. I'm partial to white so I chose this one
Koons

Koon’s looks to have great WOW pricing, as they call it, but read the fine print, doesn’t include freight, which is inflated and their paperwork charges are way out of line. Be careful.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/18 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

mike brez wrote:

At the Jeep forum in the wrangler section their is a fellow Craig Benner from Koons Jeep he is the Internet guy. It has to be ordered but he can get you some great deals. Not sure if he does anything with the Cherokees though. They have a few in stock on their lot I just looked up. Here is one of them. I'm partial to white so I chose this one
Koons

Koon’s looks to have great WOW pricing, as they call it, but read the fine print, doesn’t include freight, which is inflated and their paperwork charges are way out of line. Be careful.

I got a quote from them and was seriously considering a trip to them, but when that issue came up in the final out the door price, i backed out. A bit deceptive I thought. To be air their out the door price, all in, was still good, just did not warrant driving to D.C.

* This post was edited 12/15/18 05:03am by georgelesley *

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

dubdub07

Colorado Springs

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/18 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

dubdub07 wrote:

If you want anything other than the Trailhawk, I can see where it might be a challenge. One reason we went with the Trailhawk is the 4WD Trailhawk comes with the transfer case that shifts to neutral for towing.

WW

It was a challenge, but thanks to the help here I finally figured it out and we just made a deal on a Lattitude Plus that has the active drive II. Will pick up next week.

Happy you found what you were looking for.

And I hope you like towing it, ours is a great TOAD. Much, much better than our Wrangler....but I so like the Wrangler, LOL!

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/18 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

mike brez wrote:

Koons

Not sure about anything but the wranglers but in March they went up $500 in msrp and transport to $1445. As far as paperwork charges that's were negotiating comes in.
My local jeep dealer takes nothing off sticker take it or leave it.
Craig at Koons orders the wranglers by the truck load and you pay no transport/destination charge. I had him build and price a couple for me but purchased a used one locally.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/18 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

mike brez wrote:

Koons

Ok just looked around some more.Searched the web at random states and dealers. Everyone's freight that I happened to look is now $1495 can you explain how theirs is inflated?
This sticker is from a dealer in Illinois were the final assembly was guess how much the destination charge was. Yep. $1495

[image]

* This post was edited 12/15/18 05:12pm by mike brez *

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picked up the new Cherokee Lattitude Plus yesterday. DW loves it so naturally so do I. It is a nice vehicle. Now to get the towing setup on it. Looks like Roadmaster baseplate hooks up the highest off the ground so will probably go that route. No sure about the supplemental braking yet, maybe Invisibrake. Have to look into the wiring more.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a Demco tow bar and baseplate on a couple of vehicles for years and was very pleased with the products. Easy to connect and disconnect tow bar.

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/tow-bars/

I also used a portable BrakeBuddy supplemental braking system that was very easy to use.

http://www.brakebuddy.com/

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to have any salesman at any Jeep dealership find you what you are looking for exactly. We just bought a new 2018 Jeep Wrangler Umlimited JL and told the salesman exactly what we wanted. He did the work and Alfonso numerous options and sent us the stickers and photos. Ours was at anotgeee dealership and they went to go get it. Don’t make it harder on yourself than you have to. A salesman is gonna get a commission no matter what, make them earn it.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/18 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

You should be able to have any salesman at any Jeep dealership find you what you are looking for exactly. We just bought a new 2018 Jeep Wrangler Umlimited JL and told the salesman exactly what we wanted. He did the work and Alfonso numerous options and sent us the stickers and photos. Ours was at anotgeee dealership and they went to go get it. Don’t make it harder on yourself than you have to. A salesman is gonna get a commission no matter what, make them earn it.

True, it should work that way. The lack of salesman knowledge about what we need to make it towable was problem one. Towing requires several specific options the salesman and us were both unaware of until I did more research myself. The Jeep website did not help as it was hard to figure out exactly what was required as well. (For me at least). All of this led to much confusion for us to know exactly what to buy.

After a two hour drive each way only to find out the vehicle was not equipped for towing we gave up on dealer info and thru this and other forums I was finally able to figure out where to look on the window sticker and what to look for, and how to use the Jeep website and determine exactly what we needed equipment wise. From there a search of dealers within 150 miles was easy using the Jeep website.

Our local dealer which is a large nationwide outfit, kept steering us to cars within their dealer network which had options or were colors we did not want or like. I suspect they made more $$$ that way. Three other dealers I contacted never would return my calls. I guess they are selling all the cars they want to.

In the end, I suspect we got a pretty good price but not the greatest. A bit of $$$ was stuck in at the end but by then I knew the exact car we wanted was hard to find and this car was not far away, right color and options, etc, so relented just to solve the problem

The good news is that so far anyway, we love the car and see many good years coming from it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  Vehicles

> Trying to buy new Jeep (hard)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.