cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping World issue

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to order 4 custom sized window awnings from Camping World in Oregon for my motorhome. The sales people at CW wanted about $1800 plus $530 shipping.

I have since ordered them from the CW web site and paid about $1200 with free shipping. Some one there must be trying to take advantage of the customers that shop there.
36 REPLIES 36

CSG
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the early 90's, we were fans of Camping World. Not anymore and not for years. They are totally off the radar unless we boondock overnight at one (assuming they still allow that).
2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well everyone has a better price after the fact. Bet they will look great after installed

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We just replaced our A/C's last summer. I save about $500 including the cost difference and shipping by getting it from Amazon.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As a contractor, I found that I could not get, and did not want, 100% of the business out there. There was a certain amount of projects that I wanted, and I was glad to give up the rest of the work to others. When I was called to quote on a project, I sized up the customer and priced the job accordingly. Basically this means that if it appeared that the customer was going to be a pain in the backside, I would price the project so that IF I got the job, it was worth my time and the hassle. In most cases I avoided most jobs that looked like they would be a big hassle and concentrated on the jobs that were routine. These were the customers that appreciated the work that I did and the quality that they received.
I feel that CW is one of those places that does not care about getting 100% of the business. They price their products and services so that some will buy their products and some won't. This way they make a decent profit on the customers that chose CW. The people that do it themselves, or find a cheaper shop, are not the ones that CW feels they need to adjust prices for.
Adjusting prices to try to garner 100% of the customers is a losing proposition for any business. CW seems to be doing just fine without the need to price their products and services to attract everyone. You also do not see too many service bays empty at a CW. CW has it faults but they do not try to be everything for everybody.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
allbrandauto wrote:
I understand how every body feels. but as a shop owner brake pads cost me 45 dollars installed on your car with taxes about two hundred and 30 dollars can you do it your self sure you can. But when I have to pay rent employees wages health ins. benefits workman compensation. It all adds up so just look at the other side
Of course there is always two sides to everything, BUT...in this situation, he was able to purchase the part himself and install it himself in 45 minutes. The business owner is surely able to get that part even cheaper (likely 50%, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say it cost them $100. With a typical dealer markup, he charges the customer $200). And surely his employee could have installed it in the same 45 minutes (but again, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a full hour). Result: Customer bill reflects $200 for the part, 1 hour labor (shop rate of $150/hr?) = $350. That is a far cry from the $650 that was quoted. Meanwhile, the dealer's cost was $100 for the part, leaving $550 profit. I'd say that $550 (for 1 hour) certainly covers alot of "rent employees wages health ins. benefits workman compensation".
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
1968mooney wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
1968mooney wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
allbrandauto wrote:
I understand how every body feels. but as a shop owner brake pads cost me 45 dollars installed on your car with taxes about two hundred and 30 dollars can you do it your self sure you can. But when I have to pay rent employees wages health ins. benefits workman compensation. It all adds up so just look at the other side

Hmm. It all adds up? yup in your favor. At the end of the yr how much do you bring home? much, much more than I did, when I was still working. LOL. that's the other side I'm looking at, because on MY side there's nothing to look at. But hey, I understand how you feel.

Very simple solution. If you don't want to pay for it, do it yourself.:S

I know right. That's the American way. In fact look at our Society now. When people (one person) don't like something, they apply their own form of solution. You hit it right on the nail. Question is...What are you willing to do NOW to bring about change? Continue the ol' Cowboy way (do it yourself), Or bring about change that Benefits EVERYBODY?

I don't want anything to change. Feel very happy and blessed.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

LOL. that's what I thought. Let the "postal" atmosphere continue and do absolutely nothing. We're good at that.
Merry x-mas

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Chainwright wrote:
1968mooney wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
allbrandauto wrote:

Hmm. It all adds up? yup in your favor. At the end of the yr how much do you bring home? much, much more than I did, when I was still working. LOL. that's the other side I'm looking at, because on MY side there's nothing to look at. But hey, I understand how you feel.

I know right. That's the American way. In fact look at our Society now. When people (one person) don't like something, they apply their own form of solution. You hit it right on the nail. Question is...What are you willing to do NOW to bring about change? Continue the ol' Cowboy way (do it yourself), Or bring about change that Benefits EVERYBODY?

I don't want anything to change. Feel very happy and blessed.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
1968mooney wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
allbrandauto wrote:

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought several things from CW over the last few years and anything I bought in the store was the same price as advertised on the computer. I can understand a store price over the price on line. I was just so surprised at the cost of the awnings and shipping amount they wanted to charge me. I have had the awnings delivered to friends home in the US and paid over $1000 less than the store quote.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Chainwright wrote:
allbrandauto wrote:

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
allbrandauto wrote:

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
I try to empathize where I can and sympathize where I can. But when I'm the one on the Short end of the stick I'm just not that guy. We all have our problems, but it seems the businesses want to pass on ALL their problems to the End consumer. So to the Business owners...Where's your empathy? There is ABSOLUTELY no justification why a 78 dollar part should cost the end user $570 to install. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as a business owner that you can say to justify that. $648 for a providing and installing a $78 part that I installed myself in 25 min after watching an internet video is outrageous and unacceptable. Nah, if that's how y'all do business and/or exercise understanding for those companies and practices, then shame on you. I couldn't do business that way, my MORALS wouldn't allow it.
Agree 100%. I understand the whole "overhead" thing of a S&B store, but a 10-15 fold markup is in no way justified. Keep in mind that the seller of that part, at $78, STILL made a profit.

Well said. Why didn't I think of that? lol

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Chainwright wrote:
I try to empathize where I can and sympathize where I can. But when I'm the one on the Short end of the stick I'm just not that guy. We all have our problems, but it seems the businesses want to pass on ALL their problems to the End consumer. So to the Business owners...Where's your empathy? There is ABSOLUTELY no justification why a 78 dollar part should cost the end user $570 to install. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as a business owner that you can say to justify that. $648 for a providing and installing a $78 part that I installed myself in 25 min after watching an internet video is outrageous and unacceptable. Nah, if that's how y'all do business and/or exercise understanding for those companies and practices, then shame on you. I couldn't do business that way, my MORALS wouldn't allow it.
Agree 100%. I understand the whole "overhead" thing of a S&B store, but a 10-15 fold markup is in no way justified. Keep in mind that the seller of that part, at $78, STILL made a profit.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II