cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp Power Cord

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the power cord on my fifth wheel trailer. The one I got with it is so stiff, it is like trying to coil a board.
Can anyone recommend a type of cable that will be more manageable?
20 REPLIES 20

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
would like to know where to get it for 20 bucks !!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
30 or 50 amp?

I will assume 50 but this also applies to 30.. story follows (Short)

Home Depot Link

THe product says "Stays flexible in cold weather.

OUCH! $130 for a 15 foot cord.

No only about 20 bucks for the cord. The female end is over 80 dollars and the male end is cheaper. but not all that cheap.

So the cord is only about 20 bucks. and I do agree with OUCH!!!

UH donโ€™t think so
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say that my Rubber 50 amp power cord is the original that came with the 1996 motorhome. I will admit I have had to change the Marinco Twist lock and the male end. Let be add, that although its still very flexible, that thing still weights a ton or maybe I'm getting older/weaker!!!! LOL
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
30 or 50 amp?

Home Depot Link

No only about 20 bucks for the cord. The female end is over 80 dollars and the male end is cheaper. but not all that cheap.

So the cord is only about 20 bucks. and I do agree with OUCH!!!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
$150 is a bargain compared to some of the prices I found when doing a search for pre-made cable. $300+ to $459 was the norm for a 25' SOOW.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
-------------------------------------------
Well the link I posted was for a 30 ft cord, minimal in my estimation. It was still darned expensive at $149 but much cheaper by the foot than that 15 ft one.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A short 10 footer will work many times and is less prone to walking away.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
30 or 50 amp?

Home Depot Link

I doubt I could reach 90% of the power post with a 15โ€™ cord!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I should have this on a cut n paste!!! Be sure to get QUALITY ends!!!

"SOW" 6/3 & 8/1 this cord came from a Construction 50A spider box. Small diameter and VERY flexible in all weather.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
30 or 50 amp?

Home Depot Link

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
30 or 50 amp?

Home Depot Link

When I got my RV I also got a short TT-30 to 50 amp Marinco cord (like 1') and a 30 amp Super Flex cord (This one is bright colored (orange) not black) that does indeed coil up as easily as a lamp cord. Summer or winter (A very heavy lamp cord but still easy) I use this on 30 amp sites rather than wrangle the heavy 50 amp line.

But go to a big dealer CW or General RV or one of the big outfits PPL RV et-al) and ask Go in person.. Ask about not just how hard it is to coil up in the 72 degree store but in 32 degree campsite as well. I love that 30 amp; cord of mine.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I do not like what SOOW pure rubber does to copper when environmental temperatures of 30c are encountered over a long period of time. It takes years but shiny copper turning brown and purple is not something I wish to see. I blame the sulfur in the rubber for this. Also SOOW insulation exposed endlessly to sunshine UV or ozone will rot.

SOOW flexibility is superb but it's only fair to yank it's shorts down and expose its warts to scrutiny.

I have not done a price comparison between Marinco and POLAR wire but the latter is flexible to -55c

http://www.polarwire.com/pdfs/2-13.pdf

I have had my SOOW 50 amp power cord on my motorhome for about 12 years now and it is working fine still. One of the best mods I made. Much easier to coil up and uncoil, even in cold weather including Arizona heat and Ohio cold.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I do not like what SOOW pure rubber does to copper when environmental temperatures of 30c are encountered over a long period of time. It takes years but shiny copper turning brown and purple is not something I wish to see. I blame the sulfur in the rubber for this. Also SOOW insulation exposed endlessly to sunshine UV or ozone will rot.

SOOW flexibility is superb but it's only fair to yank it's shorts down and expose its warts to scrutiny.

I have not done a price comparison between Marinco and POLAR wire but the latter is flexible to -55c

http://www.polarwire.com/pdfs/2-13.pdf

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Does the description list the material for the outer covering? Rubber is the most flexible (SOOW), thermoplastic is the stiffest one (STOOW). I am assuming that you are shopping online. If you are able to actually touch the cable, you can read the markings on it. SEOOW is the elastomer cover. That is not as flexible as the rubber, but is way better than the thermoplastic.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select