Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 400 mile Electric Truck that Tesla should Watch out for
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 400 mile Electric Truck that Tesla should Watch out for

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/19/18 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

One item I never see provided with these EV videos. How much will my electric bill go up every month from charging? I mean, I don't have a windmill or solar panels to rely on....



I did some work for a guy who owns a Tesla Model 3.
He said his electric bill is average about $20 month.


My daughter who has a Model X said their electricity bill did not go up much higher to even be noticeable.

And she drives 170 miles several times a week between their house between Loomis, CA and Reno, NV.

stsmark

Northern CA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/19/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Sam,
Can she round trip it on a single charge?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/19/18 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

Hi Sam,
Can she round trip it on a single charge?


Yes, and with downtown shopping trips to spare, lol.

She got to rewire their house though for 240V for quicker charging.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/20/18 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More good news from Tesla's Elon Musk.

1. Tesla apps to summon their Mobile Service crew in 2 minutes. I think this is for city but don't you wish this for our RV service in case we have a Tesla truck TV even if it take an hour?

2. Use of Boring Tunnel traveling underground at 150 mph. Definitely not for RVs but could be available for Tesla EV pick up tow vehicles.

NJRVer

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 05/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/20/18 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

One item I never see provided with these EV videos. How much will my electric bill go up every month from charging? I mean, I don't have a windmill or solar panels to rely on....



I did some work for a guy who owns a Tesla Model 3.
He said his electric bill is average about $20 month.


My daughter who has a Model X said their electricity bill did not go up much higher to even be noticeable.

And she drives 170 miles several times a week between their house between Loomis, CA and Reno, NV.



I have no idea how he calculated his usage. When he told me that, he also added that "it wasn't noticeable".

Electric company here gives no discounts for off peak usage. In fact they jack the rates up in the summer.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/20/18 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

One item I never see provided with these EV videos. How much will my electric bill go up every month from charging? I mean, I don't have a windmill or solar panels to rely on....



I did some work for a guy who owns a Tesla Model 3.
He said his electric bill is average about $20 month.


My daughter who has a Model X said their electricity bill did not go up much higher to even be noticeable.

And she drives 170 miles several times a week between their house between Loomis, CA and Reno, NV.



I have no idea how he calculated his usage. When he told me that, he also added that "it wasn't noticeable".

Electric company here gives no discounts for off peak usage. In fact they jack the rates up in the summer.


I don't know either. But she was smiling as she was answering my question.

Maybe because it was prefaced by my earlier question on how much are they spending monthly for the Range Rover they've been using to shuttle between these two location before they got the Model X.

trailerbikecamper

eastern Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 09/06/2004

View Profile



Posted: 12/20/18 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 400 mile range is great, but I'm going to use a typical winter work day for me as an example.

I leave home at about 5:40 in the dark. Many times it is either raining or wet snow. So I need headlights, wipers and heater. I then drive about 70km on a twin highway to work. The truck will then sit for about 10-1\2hrs with out the benefit of being plugged in, since there is no plugs available, for any vehicles. I then drive home in the dark, also requiring heater, headlights and many times wipers.

My question is how do the additional loads affect the range? If I get left even once on the side of the highway, I would be done with EV's.


Dan

Lessmore

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/20/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

One item I never see provided with these EV videos. How much will my electric bill go up every month from charging? I mean, I don't have a windmill or solar panels to rely on....
How many miles do you drive? What is your electric rate?

Otherwise I would expect your electric cost to be just one-quarter of your gasoline cost. Maybe less.


I think electric costs are going to increase significantly, if the EV revolution takes place successfully. There's money to be made and when this is the case in the course of human history, you can be sure there will be entrepreneurs and an assortment of government levels will have big eyes for all that new revenue. There will always be those in society who will want to get themselves 'some'...never fails.

I'm not the starry eyed idealist that thinks the EV 'revolution'...if it happens...will not leave economic carnage of every variety by the wayside.

There will be infrastructure costs, economic costs, people costs, etc.

Will life be better ? Who knows and if it is...how many decades will it take to get better ?

I know, I know...we all have to be positive about change...change is good...isn't it ?

We'll see. [emoticon]

GeoBoy

Southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 12/20/18 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

More good news from Tesla's Elon Musk.

1. Tesla apps to summon their Mobile Service crew in 2 minutes. I think this is for city but don't you wish this for our RV service in case we have a Tesla truck TV even if it take an hour?

2. Use of Boring Tunnel traveling underground at 150 mph. Definitely not for RVs but could be available for Tesla EV pick up tow vehicles.

Yeah, hey saw the Elon Tunnel thing on the news last night. They attained a whooping 45 mph in that tunnel, couldn’t convince me to put my $100k car in that tunnel where the car rides in a sled with little wheels that run along a concrete curb!

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/20/18 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

One item I never see provided with these EV videos. How much will my electric bill go up every month from charging? I mean, I don't have a windmill or solar panels to rely on....
How many miles do you drive? What is your electric rate?

Otherwise I would expect your electric cost to be just one-quarter of your gasoline cost. Maybe less.


Yepir. Depends entirely on the above.

Both our vehicles are electric. Our bill for our cars is anywhere from 15 to 25 bucks a month more. The EVSE tracks the cost. But we only do about 14000 to 18000 km a year. We are around 10 cents per kWh. Costs us about 3 bucks to charge our one car if it’s dead empty, that takes us about 180 km on average. Less in winter. Lots of variables.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 400 mile Electric Truck that Tesla should Watch out for
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS