Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 400 mile Electric Truck that Tesla should Watch out for
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 400 mile Electric Truck that Tesla should Watch out for

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The base model starts at $69,000, with different battery configurations running the truck’s price ceiling to around $100,000."

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow!! A hundred grand for a pickup, that's as bad as $40,000 for a motorcycle. Okay, the motorcycle is worse.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

Reports are Tesla is looking at soon to be closed GM plants, the report also says Tesla will be able to ramp up production at these plants and might bring the cost down even more..

Yes, Musk 'says' a lot of things. Musk also despises the UAW. Have a difficult time with the notion he will buy a plant located in "belly" of the labor beast; he's busy fending off the UAW in Fremont. From a logistics standpoint, it makes sense. We shall see........

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technology will be changing the transportation industry. I'm not ready to put down a $1,000 deposit on that truck, but I'm fairly certain that if I live another 10 years and am still driving, there will be an electric car in our garage. Our Newmar wasn't that big of a purchase, so I'll just keep using it as long as I can stop and fill the tank with fossil fuel......but then again....none of us know exactly what will be available in the coming years. Folks used to laugh at the Prius......and the Tesla....but I have an acquaintance that has one and he's very happy with it and he's very committed to avoiding fossil fuels wherever possible. I'm not ready to go as far as he has, but I respect his decisions and concern for global warming.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One item I never see provided with these EV videos. How much will my electric bill go up every month from charging? I mean, I don't have a windmill or solar panels to rely on....

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

wq93

usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rivian has a rather tortured history. Maybe this time they will really release a product but I wouldn't bet on it.

See for example: http://thecapitolist.com/questions-about-shady-car-company-plague-mayfield-in-sd17-race/

Right now the biggest activity at the Normal property continues to be a holding cell for the many bought back Volkswagen "cheating" diesel vehicles.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2edgesword wrote:

"The base model starts at $69,000, with different battery configurations running the truck’s price ceiling to around $100,000."

You'll be surprised. Lambo guys who loves the chest-compressing broom-broom of their ICE racing cars and have driven the supposedly soccer mom 7-seater van/SUV Tesla X are now converts.

Of course, seeing that it actually matches , and smoother than, their Aventador's 0-60 in 2.9 seconds -- but then again, no heart pounding long brooooom.

* This post was edited 12/19/18 01:44pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

One item I never see provided with these EV videos. How much will my electric bill go up every month from charging? I mean, I don't have a windmill or solar panels to rely on....

I did some work for a guy who owns a Tesla Model 3.
He said his electric bill is average about $20 month.

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

NJRVer wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Pretty funny where it says "It's payload may surprise you..." and then they put two small dufflebags in the bed. LOL And the in depth discussion of it's range was pretty revealing too I thought. And "starting price" of $69,000, woof.

Electric vehicles are kind of cool, but why would I pay $20,000 more for one than I would for a generic 1/2 ton gas truck? Paying $20,000 up front kind of negates any fuel savings. $20,000 will buy one heck of a lot of gas. If the price were more in line with generic 1/2 ton trucks it might be more appealing, to me anyway.

What does the $20,000 extra include in equipment over the stripped gassers?

Heck, you're paying $10-12,000 just for diesel.
Me, I wouldn't buy a stripped down truck. I like bells and whistles.
Paying "$10-12,000 just for diesel" in a half-ton truck? We are talking about half-ton trucks. And when I bought my diesel truck, used of course, I paid $18,500, a very long way from $69,000.

Sorry, "bells and whistles" don't ring my chimes. HAR I'd rather use my money to travel. Diff'rent strokes... Kind of the old "substance over style" opinion I guess, and the main reason I don't like Harley's.

How much is the EcoDiesel in a Ram?

Paid around $4500 for it in our Grand Cherokee.
I use my money to travel too. Wife and I are not flyers. We drive and want to drive in comfort.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

How many miles do you drive? What is your electric rate?

Otherwise I would expect your electric cost to be just one-quarter of your gasoline cost. Maybe less.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 400 mile Electric Truck that Tesla should Watch out for
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.