Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: cover for bikes on toad blocks lights
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> cover for bikes on toad blocks lights

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
RicB

Kalamazoo, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/18 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got 2 electric bikes and a carrier to mount on our Jeep Wrangler toad. I want to cover the bikes while towing long distances (MI to FL). A standard cover blocks the toad lights. There are covers available that have lights integrated into the cover. They plug into the trailer light connection on the the toad but that doesn't work when towing behind the coach since the trailer plug is not energized by the coach connection. A wireless magnetic light bar mounted on the roof of Jeep would solve the problem but the Jeeps roof is fiberglass so that would require drilling holes and mounting a metal plate. Also we often carry kayaks on roof. Plus the wireless light bars are a bit pricey just to have for when I have the bike cover on. My only reasonable solution thus far is to tap into the feed from the coach and put in a separate trailer plug to be used for the bike cover when Jeep is being towed. Any other ideas/suggestions?

2006 42' Allegro Bus
FMCA - F311884

johnsonbert

Houston, TX-Ironwood, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/18 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a similar situation, I made a light bar using angle iron and led boat trailer lights that attached to the bike rack with a couple of u-bolts and plugged into a special harness as you describe tapped into the taillight wires coming from the coach. Worked well for us for several years. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/18 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just ran a 4 wire conductor from the front of the tow and thru the cabin and add light on the rear, plug in when need and unplug when not. Cable stays with the tow.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/18 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd tap into the toad lights hopefully in the back with a simple plug accessible in the back. Then add a LED light bar to the bike rack.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MountainAir05 wrote:

I just ran a 4 wire conductor from the front of the tow and thru the cabin and add light on the rear, plug in when need and unplug when not. Cable stays with the tow.

Yup, pretty simple solution. Cheap and easy too.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a splitter and run wire back.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have hauled our biked to Florida and all around the Midwest without covers but do remove the seats. Easiest solution for you.
When camped we throw a tarp over the bikes which are mounted on a rack in the front of our Suburban.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Two Jayhawks

Lenexa Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/18 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also carry two e-bikes on a platform rack behind toad. With the computers and batteries removed we use draw string heavy plastic bags (I think they are dry bags for boating- Amazon) to cover the important stuff. I never had any long tern success with bike covers.

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 2014 Ford Edge
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

campinginthewoods

Central ILL

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe mounting led lights inside the back window of the jeep? I have a friend with a jeep and he mounted lights either inside or they maybe surface mount led lights but you definitely can see them

"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

slider45

GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/18 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

johnsonbert wrote:

For a similar situation, I made a light bar using angle iron and led boat trailer lights that attached to the bike rack with a couple of u-bolts and plugged into a special harness as you describe tapped into the taillight wires coming from the coach. Worked well for us for several years. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert

This. My uncle had done the same for the extra visibility of the lights.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> cover for bikes on toad blocks lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS