Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wife making cookies...RV oven keeps going out...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Wife making cookies...RV oven keeps going out...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
turbojimmy

New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 12/21/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

Well, I am still here..

Those are some very good tips and comments. Thank you.

We still have Christmas cookie production running.
She is using the knob to, i guess, bypass the thermostat or sensor/relay. She turns it to total broil and then turns it back to very low. This doesnt let the thermostat decide i guess.

For temperature monitoring, I have a fluke DVM that has a thermocouple input and tells temperature. This oven is like an Amana or Magic Chef or something, but the temperature is also WAY WAY off.

A lot of heat seems to escape from the unit. Maybe from the back. You can put your hand there and feel it. I was thinking it needs some fiberglass stuffed in there. Like maybe they forgot to insulate it.


How old is it? The oven in my '84 Allegro failed in this manner. It was the gas valve not re-opening. Eventually it stopped working completely. The part is no longer available. I *think* it was a Magic Chef or maybe Atwood. I replaced it with a scratch-n-dent oven removed from a new motorhome for half the cost of a new one.

And I do believe broil is pretty much constant on so you won't have the issue, though temperature regulation could be tricky.


1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)



dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you overthink things. IF it was a sensor/thermocoupler, WHY would it light the main burner first time and then fail to keep oven at temp the 2nd or 3rd time????????????????? BECAUSE the Tstat is at fault. Doug(been here and done that numerous times)

turbojimmy

New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 12/21/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

Some of you overthink things. IF it was a sensor/thermocoupler, WHY would it light the main burner first time and then fail to keep oven at temp the 2nd or 3rd time????????????????? BECAUSE the Tstat is at fault. Doug(been here and done that numerous times)


In my case the Tstat was calling for heat but the gas valve wasn't giving it up. It started at random and then quit completely. I took it apart and cleaned it per advice I found in the interwebs but it would not function.

The OP's issue might be as simple as a Tstat, but downstream from the Tstat a gas valve has to open. If it doesn't...no heat.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Some of you overthink things. IF it was a sensor/thermocoupler, WHY would it light the main burner first time and then fail to keep oven at temp the 2nd or 3rd time????????????????? BECAUSE the Tstat is at fault. Doug(been here and done that numerous times)


In my case the Tstat was calling for heat but the gas valve wasn't giving it up. It started at random and then quit completely. I took it apart and cleaned it per advice I found in the interwebs but it would not function.

The OP's issue might be as simple as a Tstat, but downstream from the Tstat a gas valve has to open. If it doesn't...no heat.


1. Gas Tstats and such, you NEVER rebuild. They are not designed to be rebuilt safely.
2. The Tstat has the Temp sensor probe, the Main gas line to the burner safety valve and the Pilot tube to the pilot assbly.
3. Turn on the tstat to pilot and gas flows to the pilot orifice.
4. You LIGHT the pilot and hold the knob until the pilot thermocouple has been satisfied and the pilot stays ON
5. You turn the oven to 350, the Pilot goes to a slightly larger flame and this larger flame trips the Main burner thermocouple to OPEN the tstat to allow the gas to flow to the main burner
6. Burner is full lit. Once the interior temp reaches 350 degrees the tstat shuts down the main burner flame from its temp sensor on the roof or back wall of the oven
7. The pilot goes back to its lower pilot flame.
8. IF the oven main burner needs to light to maintain 350 degrees, the Tstat tells the pilot to increase the pilot light flame and this trips the Main burner thermocouple and the Main burner relights and the sequence starts all over. VERY SIMPLE
9. From my 39 years experience as an RV Tech, I stand by my advice to replace the Tstat. The OP has a 20 plus year old oven.
10. Last, there are some Atwood Ovens from about 4 to 6 years ago That the fix was to replace the Pilot assbly complete as this was also a cause of this problem. But ONLY, for those from about 2012 to 2014. Doug

turbojimmy

New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 12/21/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

turbojimmy wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Some of you overthink things. IF it was a sensor/thermocoupler, WHY would it light the main burner first time and then fail to keep oven at temp the 2nd or 3rd time????????????????? BECAUSE the Tstat is at fault. Doug(been here and done that numerous times)


In my case the Tstat was calling for heat but the gas valve wasn't giving it up. It started at random and then quit completely. I took it apart and cleaned it per advice I found in the interwebs but it would not function.

The OP's issue might be as simple as a Tstat, but downstream from the Tstat a gas valve has to open. If it doesn't...no heat.


1. Gas Tstats and such, you NEVER rebuild. They are not designed to be rebuilt safely.
2. The Tstat has the Temp sensor probe, the Main gas line to the burner safety valve and the Pilot tube to the pilot assbly.
3. Turn on the tstat to pilot and gas flows to the pilot orifice.
4. You LIGHT the pilot and hold the knob until the pilot thermocouple has been satisfied and the pilot stays ON
5. You turn the oven to 350, the Pilot goes to a slightly larger flame and this larger flame trips the Main burner thermocouple to OPEN the tstat to allow the gas to flow to the main burner
6. Burner is full lit. Once the interior temp reaches 350 degrees the tstat shuts down the main burner flame from its temp sensor on the roof or back wall of the oven
7. The pilot goes back to its lower pilot flame.
8. IF the oven main burner needs to light to maintain 350 degrees, the Tstat tells the pilot to increase the pilot light flame and this trips the Main burner thermocouple and the Main burner relights and the sequence starts all over. VERY SIMPLE
9. From my 39 years experience as an RV Tech, I stand by my advice to replace the Tstat. The OP has a 20 plus year old oven.
10. Last, there are some Atwood Ovens from about 4 to 6 years ago That the fix was to replace the Pilot assbly complete as this was also a cause of this problem. But ONLY, for those from about 2012 to 2014. Doug


Did all that. My gas valve was bad. But, a sample size of one.

groundhogy

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/17/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the comment about... dont put additional insulation in the oven because its designed to have the air space to keep the outer skin cool...

The heat that comes up the back of the oven seems really hot.

I guess..
Hard to imagine thats the genius design on purpose.
Maybe because its a mini oven in an RV and they have to keep the walls thin? lol. So you cant put too much insulation in? and you have to use convection to cool the outside.

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

Senior Member

Joined: 08/24/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

groundhogy wrote:

On the comment about... dont put additional insulation in the oven because its designed to have the air space to keep the outer skin cool...

The heat that comes up the back of the oven seems really hot.

I guess..
Hard to imagine thats the genius design on purpose.
Maybe because its a mini oven in an RV and they have to keep the walls thin? lol. So you cant put too much insulation in? and you have to use convection to cool the outside.


It’s a fuel burning oven, it can’t be sealed or the flame would go out due to no oxygen. Therefore there has to be a vent which is why I always crack a window and turn on the range hood fan to draw out the exhaust.

groundhogy

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/17/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/21/18 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that makes more sense

mchero

Henniker, NH

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/25/18 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DW got hooked on the microwave convection oven (electric). Current gas oven used for storage.


Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/25/18 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero wrote:

My DW got hooked on the microwave convection oven (electric). Current gas oven used for storage.


You have the ultimate setup ... a microwave/convection oven PLUS a gas oven. That way when camping without hookups and you're outside generator hours, you can still bake something with your gas oven.

The most pleasant camping includes having choices and backup plans on how to get things done in the widest variety of situations.


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Wife making cookies...RV oven keeps going out...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.