cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

route recommendation Charlotte to Destin, Fla

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
we drove the toad from Destin Fla to Albany NY for Christmas. Traffic in and around Charlotte and Atlanta was horrendous. There is another route (non-interstate) from Charlotte to Fla using Alabama route 1. Can anyone tell me how that route is? I know it is a little longer but that would be a small price to pay to avoid the congestion in Atlanta.
Thoughts? THX
2 REPLIES 2

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bass n bob wrote:
There is another route (non-interstate) from Charlotte to Fla using Alabama route 1.

A "little" longer ??

Traffic on any give road is NOT the same all the time.
This is especially true for large metro areas like Atlanta and Charlotte to a slightly lesser degree.

IF....you avoid morning and evening rush hours, the traffic on 75/85 right THROUGH Atlanta shouldn't be too bad. My daughter lives there; done it MANY times.

Edit: That wouldn't be my preferred route anyway. Put it into Google Maps. The suggested "western" route goes through Chattanooga, the eastern one down 95 to I-10. Parts of 95 are in bad shape but that probably would be my choice. That's how I get from central Florida to Charlotte twice a year.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We always use the Charlotte bypass loop to minimize the traffic when we pass through that area. I think my preference from the Capital District area in NY to Destin though, would be to take I-88 W to I-81 S, then I-40 W to I-75 to I-65 S to exit 114, and then AL-55 S, US-29 S, AL-137 S, FL-189 S, and FL-293 to Destin.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate