Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: My wife wants to camp in the driveway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My wife wants to camp in the driveway

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Camping" in the driveway satisfies the 'itch' during the winter months. Even though we have a home in Az that we winter in, we still get the itch to camp and go off every couple weeks for the weekend, just 'because'. A happy wife is a happy life...[emoticon]....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone is different, no one is right, no one is wrong. [emoticon] Personally I enjoyed occasionally sleeping in our travel trailer while parked on the driveway but no way, no how would my wife ever agree to it. Thought it was just "weird". [emoticon]

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/18 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong with driveway camping. Lot's of reasons to choose to do it, but I almost always hear "it's so peaceful" as why it's enjoyable.

I know for me, it's like spending the morning in bed - it just feels good to ignore all those things I need to do and instead relax for a while where those things aren't staring me in the face.

Even the dogs love to kick back in the RVs for a weekend - they get a different view of the neighborhood that changes things up.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/18 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hey traildog, I'm just right around your corner ... 2 doors down from the Old German Baptist Church, just north of 400 South, Anderson. Look for the house with the Montana 5er in the drive way!

We use our camper all winter long, especially since we're in the country and have nice space to park it. We've been driveway camping for 20 years now over the winter, 10 years at the current house.

Even though our Montana is rated for zero degree weather, it takes an incredible amount of propane to keep the underbelly heated so pipes won't freeze. We just got this camper in October. So, I went ahead and winterized and been using a combination of propane and electric space heaters, plus the on-board electric fire place. Works very well, still, runs through a lot of propane though. But, Modern Trailer in Anderson is just 5 miles up the road and getting propane fill-ups is no problem for me.

About using it in the winter? Like I said, I've wintereized, but we have always kept a port-a-potty in the bathroom. It's a lot more convenient than freezing your back-side darting in the house at 2:00 am. In the morning, just take the port-a-potty bucket into the house and dump it down the toilet. I add water to it to rinse it from the bathtub, and then dump that down the toilet again. Rinse twice and take it back out to the camper. No chemicals, no smells, no mess, easy and works well. Been doing this for ... probably 20 years now.

We keep a container of water in the camper. Of course the refrigerator is always on, so we keep drinks in there and some milk. I'm a milk drinker.

I keep the covers over the sinks as a reminder to not dump anything liquid down the sinks, and keep a tub on the counter to put dirty dishes or liquids in, rather than using the sink and getting water down the sink trap.

In the morning, the dirty dishes (if there are any), come back into the house, get washed and then taken right back out again. After a few days, you get into a system and it's really a no-brainer after a while. You just do it and don't even think about it any more.

The trade off? Well....

You get to sleep in the camper every night. You get to hang out in the camper all day and night if you want. You get to watch television, play games, have fun, and just enjoy the camper. Once inside the camper, it doesn't matter if you are the top of Mount Everest or at the bottom of the Dead Sea. The inside of the camper is home!

In the late fall, I kept water in the fresh water tank so I wouldn't have to keep water hoses hooked up all the time. And I use a blue-tote to dump my black tank into my septic system. This has worked well for the 10 years we've lived here. When we lived in Carmel, 10 years there with a TT, I dumped the black water into the house sewer clean out. Worked well for 10 years there too.

If you have the ability to park your camper at home, then yes...by all means, do the winter driveway camp. You can pick up a bucket insert type port-a-potty at WalMart in the camping section. Last I checked, Anderson WalMart still had them.

The only thing about winter camping, when it's calling for snow, we'll go ahead and pull all the slides in. I don't want stuff freezing on the roof of the slide outs and then something happen and I'll need to pull the slides in. So, I always pull the slides in when snowing. We can still enjoy the camper, the bed, the television, keep it warm, and snuggley. After the snow is over, pull the slides back out.

That's how we do it. I'd love to meet you someday! Good luck! And ... remember ... happy wife, happy life. Bring that camper home!

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 12/22/18 11:37am by DutchmenSport *

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camping in the driveway in the winter voluntarily. I would suggest a side trip to a psychiatrist.
bumpy

trailer_newbe

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutchman explained it, but I can’t understand why living in a camper in the winter is somehow better then a home right next to it.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all enjoy different things. What's odd to me is people who can't understand how another person can enjoy something they don't.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/18 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hang onto that one. She is a keeper [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/18 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailer_newbe wrote:

Dutchman explained it, but I can’t understand why living in a camper in the winter is somehow better then a home right next to it.

I just had a conversation with my wife and I asked her this question, What is there about the camper that makes us want to spend time in it rather than the house? And the answers were many.

A bit of history.

We both came from camping families. I'm 63 years old and my wife is 55 years old. From the time we were little, we grew up with campers and camping in our blood. My wife had more variety than I did. My parents had only a travel trailer. My wife's parents had a truck camper, travel trailer, pop-up camper, and a Winnebago MH. But the common thread was, throughout our childhood, we grew up with RV's. In one way, our camper reminds us of a time in our lives when we had no responsibilities and could be carefree. Face it ... adulthood really sucks!

My wife was fortunate to have a playhouse in her parent's back yard. This was her space, her brothers were not allowed to play in. She tells me she loved that space, it was her place of escape and somewhere she could feel safe and at peace with things. (Her father was very abusive by the way). The camper is her adult version of a playhouse.

I grew up always wanting a tree house, but we never had trees big enough to build one, let alone even climb. I always wanted my own club-house, and the best I got was a chicken house that had living chickens in it. But I tried to make it my domain. But, I never truly got my tree house, club house, or my own playhouse. The camper is truly my club house now, with a very exclusive private membership roll.

Fast forward again.
I was employed for several years in my early 30's in a very public transparent occupation. I was a big fish in a small pond. I couldn't even sneeze without someone criticizing I was using the wrong Kleenex color. It was THAT bad.

Considering we both had camping experience in our genes, we decided to buy a pop-up camper, which we could afford and store anywhere, and we could take our kids out of our small fishbowl to a gigantic pond where no one knew who we were and we all could let our hair down and just be ourselves. Whenever we needed to get away from all the public exposed expectations, we'd take off with the camper, go to a campground a hundred miles from home and be able to relax and be ourselves, and didn't have to worry about someone constantly watching, criticizing every time we flushed the toilet. The camper became a refuge, an escape, a place of solitude, a place of peace, a place we could let it all hang out and let our hair down, sort-a-say.

It took several years, but I eventually moved away from that occupation (and decided computer software was much friendlier, and folks working in Information Technology, were basically hermits themselves). It was a great fit and a great change of occupations.

But the camper still remained our place of solitude, peace, memories, comfort, enjoyment, fun, recreation, and rest. It's our little haven. It's our place we use to escape mentally from the pressures of our current job, adult kids, and responsibilities.

My wife and I both work from home. She works from home full time in Information Technology and I work from home 2-3 days a week. Sometimes, our jobs demand we are on-line working out computer code problems at 11 pm at night or 2:30 in the morning. Our home (stick and brick) building is an extension of our jobs now.

So, even now, being able to get away from the "work" environment is a touch of heaven. One thing we stand firm on... we do no "work" in the camper, even though we have wifi at home and have internet access in the camper at home. We limit our computer use to fun and recreation only, or personal stuff, but never "work related."

Another thing that happened, 4 years ago our adult son moved back home with his 1 year old little boy. He got a divorce and was financially devastated. Of course we took him back in. Well, I tell you, watching your grandson grow from 1 year old to 5, with that much energy, is a bit daunting on grandma and grandpa. We've developed a good balance now, because of our ability to driveway camp, that my wife and I spend a great deal amount of time in the camper and the "kids" have the house. Sounds silly I know, but we enjoy the camper so much, we'd rather take the camper over the house any day.

We moved from town to our current house so we could continue parking our camper in our driveway and be able to use it without angering neighbors who had corn-cobs stuffed up their pipes! We purchased this specific house, in this specific location so we could park the camper. In other words, we bought the house so we would have somewhere to park the camper. I sleep where my camper sleeps, or I move.

So the house really is just a glorified camp site for us. It's in a fantastic location, all country, quiet, dark at night, a couple neighbors near by, and corn and bean fields for my front and back yard. It really is better in our own driveway than almost any campground we've ever been to. We have our own fire pit, and lost of space from the grandson to run butt naked when he want's to without some busy-body nosey good-ie-good-ie two shoes complaining because they have some kind of mental hang up.

So, that's why we hang out so much in the camper.

I agree, it's not for everyone. But for us, it's our escape, at least mentally, from the rat-race of life.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/18 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My MIL is staying with us for the Christmas holiday. She can’t climb stairs very well so she is using the wife and mine’s bedroom on the ground floor. The bed upstairs (We only have one bedroom upstairs, in fact it’s the only room up there) is like a brick which the wife loves but I hate. So “They” are staying in the house. Me and the dogs are sleeping in the carport in our motorhome. Not all that cold here so the rooftop heat pump does a wonderful job. No issues with freezing water.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> My wife wants to camp in the driveway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.