Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Oil Heater question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Oil Heater question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/18 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I have an old house with an oil fired heat system. What are you thoughts on adding a little "Sea Foam" to the oil tank to keep the lines and igniter clean??

* This post was edited 12/22/18 11:21am by an administrator/moderator *

Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella & Dobby

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

now-2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had oil heat for the house,I used an additive that I got from the oil supplier. It seemed to work, maintenance service calls were just a quick check,never any parts or cleaning needed.
Not sure if seafoam is compatable with the fuel, I don't have my jug near me,but I use seafoam in every thing gas powered, generators,motorcycles,chain saws and mower.

2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider
Looking for a 5th wheel toyhauler

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/18 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sea foam I doubt would be good. If anything, a diesel fuel additive would be most applicable as fuel oil and diesel (and kerosene and jet fuel) are not very different from each other. Gasoline, on the other hand, is a lot more volatile.

I myself wouldn't add anything. The igniter in an oil furnace is just two wire electrodes, or so I am led to believe, not a spark plug as such, and not all that prone to getting mucked up. The lines and orifice (which is more likely to get clogged) are protected by a filter; keeping up with maintaining that filter would not be a bad idea. Yearly or biennial cleaning/servicing is of course needed; in Vermont, it's actually required by law (at least biennially) though I don't think there's any proactive enforcement of that law.

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

um....Sea Foam is also a diesel additive, read the label.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/18 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had oil heat for 20+ years growing up. If your system comes on regularly in the winter (i.e. meaning it runs more than for just a few weeks in Jan/Feb), you shouldn't need any additives. A yearly system check/cleaning/filter "analysis" (clean/replace as needed depending on your filter type) is a good thing. We usually had ours done in August.

I'm assuming from your post that the tank is above-ground: one thing to be on the alert for is water in the fuel. Fairly unlikely in an above ground tank (although humidity conditions might impact this), more possible if below ground, but in either case, the tank should be dipped and checked for water in the bottom on a monthly basis if underground; at least at the start of the heating season if aboveground...and drain any water that accumulates in your filter.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

3 dog nights

Central, Virginia USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/18 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dipped yesterday to check volume of content. no water. Also accepted an offer yesterday so just have make the oil last till mid Jan. Then someone else's problem. Now to go back and look at all the RV literature I've been collecting.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Oil Heater question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS