Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Rv lemon law
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rv lemon law

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/18 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better call Saul.
bumpy

Shal36

Winter Springs, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/18 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a search for Lehto’s Law. He has a YouTube episode,”Don’t buy an RV.” He’s a lawyer out of Michigan and addresses the OP’s question directly.

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/18 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you hire a lawyer check your closing papers and make sure you didn't sign an agreement to take any issues thru arbitration instead of a court of law.

I know my contract with DRV included this agreement. That doesn't mean you should not consult an attorney to get a game plan but I suspect your hands are tied.

Your best option may be to set an appointment and take it back to the factory.

Good luck.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/18 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If lemon laws applied to RV's there would not be an RV!

Dennis Hoppert

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/18 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you hire an Attorney, any negotiations with the factory are off. I would deal with Heartland customer service, not the dealer. Give them a chance to straighten this out. I owned a Heartland product previously and found them easy to deal with.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/18 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis12 wrote:

If lemon laws applied to RV's there would not be an RV!

Under the federal "Lemon Law" (Magnuson-Moss) RV's ARE covered. For the life of me I can't understand how anyone who owns an RV isn't aware of their rights. If buyers don't even know the law and their rights, I don't blame manufactures for taking advantage of ignorance.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/18 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lemon Laws and Magnuson Moss act are two different things.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/18 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bid_time wrote:

Lemon Laws and Magnuson Moss act are two different things.

Magnuson-Moss is the federal version of the lemon law. Every state can have their own version which is what so many get hung up on. They rad their state version and ignorantly assume it's the Only regulation they have available to them. If a state lemon law doesn't protect a person, go federal!

reppoc12

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/18 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will share my experience in hopes it helps you. I always believed the dealer makes a big difference, but the manufacturers also want you to be satisfied. Several years ago we tried a dealer with a good reputation and they were bought by CW right after our purchase. The warranty service was horrible, far worse that you have documented so far. Months at their facility with us calling every few days. Lies about the manufacturer denying warranty work. Losing our camper for few days when cold weather was setting in (I asked if they would winterize it as they had it for 3 months, They agreed for a fee. At this point I was so livid I was going to drive the 2.5 hours each way and do it myself rather than give them any money). They agreed to do it for no charge and then called me back to see if I picked it up because they could not find it. After talking with the manufacturer I made arrangements to bring it to the factory in Indiana for repairs. They sub'd it to another company and most of the repairs were completed. Granted I had to make the trip to Indiana from NC at my expense, but it was worth it after working with a dealer who really did not care. They also delivered it back to us. Unfortunately all the repairs were not completed so we contacted the manufacturer again, This time they sent a driver to pick it up and offered to deliver it. We opted to pick it up in Indiana so we could test everything. All was good at that point and we were technically out of warranty.
If you choose this route I would suggest being respectful but firm with the manufacturer, have all your documentation listed (what is broken, who you spoke with, what they said, dates times, promises, etc). This really helped us with the manufacturer.
Of course if it is smaller items they may recommend another dealer or a mobile tech. I have also had good success with mobile techs. Alpine is in our area and I would recommend them.
I hope you are able to resolve your issues.
Merry Christmas.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/18 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yankeecamper wrote:

Has anyone every file a clam for the Lemon Law for there 5th wheel? I bought a New 2018 fiver in May 2018 and It has been in the shop 1st for about 3 wks (problems not fixed), 2nd back in to fix the same problems in for about 8 wks. They got two of the major problems fixed but the water leak still isn't fixed. Back in the shop Wed and they said they would check it and have it fixed by Fri. so i can get headed to Fl. on Jan 2, 2019. If it doesn't get fixed or I have more problems dose anyone have any idea as what I should do next.

AFAIK, there are NO lemon laws for towables. Some people seem to have had luck filing claims under the Magnusson-Moss Act, though. That's Federal, so filing is more complex than under State laws. I don't know what to tell you about the water leak since you have a trip planned so soon.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Rv lemon law
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.