cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the max length travel trailer you think is practical

coloelk
Explorer
Explorer
Assumptions - you have a big enough truck to pull it.
you want to get it into state parks
you want to get into national parks
you would feel comfortable pulling it
cost is not a problem

Just wondering what the concenus is for max length. I know people have different likes /dislikes, but I think there will be within a foot or two a max length most people won't want to exceed.
65 REPLIES 65

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Any length that can fit comfortably into a National Park site or any other short camping site. That's what is practical.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
Start with 20 feet for two people then add 4 feet for each extra person ! Unless you need a washer/dryer , trash compactor , two baths , patio , if ya need all that then go up to 45 feet .

I have my eye on a Vintage 20' I'm thinking of buying next.
It will fit almost any camp site.
I have a buddy who tows a 44'. He's limited where he can park his 5er.

In my experience most older parks don't easily accomodate large rigs.
Some older parks don't trim tree limbs and they can make access more difficult the wider and taller the rig. Also older parks may have the rigs parked closer together.
A park near me doesn't have room to extend an awning on some sites.

My advice would be to ask around about parks.

Years ago when I bought my first larger trailer (30'), I went to the Smokey Mountains and stayed in a motel. That weekend we went thru 14 trailer parks. I looked em over and checked to see how clean the bath houses were. I always check the one furthest from the camp host. If it's clean they will all likely be clean...
Do your homework before you go camping...

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
24 feet
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
33' Toy Hauler for us. Mostly state and national parks and forests. Occasionally race track campgrounds.

I was worried about getting too long, especially for some of the older but most visited National area's out west but when I started researching and reading a lot of these type threads, what I found was that there were a bunch of people saying there are other options (private campgrounds, some larger sites) around these areas.

So I quit worrying about not being able to go see these wonderful treasures and bought a camper that will fit easily in 95% of the places I camp and I'll have to do a little pre-planning, research and maybe make reservations for when I go to those places that are older and might be an issue fitting in.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I did not read the whole thread, but want to replay anyways... lol. Anyways...

We have a 2004 21ft TT. It is started to show and feel its age - floor getting soft, roof material aging, window seals aging, etc etc.

In looking around at the various lengths and types of campers - Wife and I are seriously thinking about getting a TC (slide in truck camper). Gasp!

Get what size you want, and camp however you want. I love the 21 foot travel trailer, especially now that it is just the wife and I. It would be nice and luxurious to get a monster TT or 5th that has multiple baths and recliner chairs....

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The responses will be based on where people camp and what part of the country they live. I have been to remote areas designed for tents and small campers where 20' was the maximum length. In a nut shell the smaller the trailer the more areas you will fit. I would advise you to look at the campgrounds that you would likely go to and see what their length limitations are. Lenth may/may not be a issue at all.

I bought a large 5th wheel and hardly use it. I ended up purchasing a smaller TT to go to more remote areas. The TT gets way more use then the 5th wheel. On the positive the 5er still looks like a new unit.

For where I like to camp 20' to 24' seems to be the ideal length. I have been limited by height and length at very few campgrounds.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our most recent (bought this past summer) is specd at 37'9". Living space is about 35'. It actually tows far better than our old 33' trailer. Definitely tight in some state parks but so far we have gotten it into places we want to go. We considered 5th wheel this time but wanted to keep the cap on the bed of the truck so ruled it out. Don't regret the length and love the space once we are there! Just make sure you have the right truck and hitch setup.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 28’ with an overall length of 33.5’. We almost exclusively camp at state parks. Have had no issues with this length, but any longer I can think of a few parks we’ve been at where it may have been an issue.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
First Hard sided travel trailer we had was a Heartland 29rls--35 feet long-----2nd was our Jayco 33rlds----35.6 feet long---- Our third trailer is 31 feet long, JAYCO Jayfeather 27rl. Now we like this trailer much better than the other 2. easier to park, Better fuel mileage, not as hard to back up, less weight for the truck to pull. This trailer has everything that we want. But again we are not staying in it for 4.5 months neither. I guess it depends on what you are towing it with, how long will you be out, etc etc. only you can make up your mind on what you are going to do. take care

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
When lengths are quoted here, some may be just the length of the box, or the overall length and maybe they are quoting the number used for the model.

Personally I want nothing over 30' overall, and a bit shorter would be my preference for traveling to all varieties of camping spots. Dragging around more than what is necessary just adds to the stress. Nearly everyday questions come up on this forum about the ability to tow or use certain roads and certain campgrounds with a large trailer.

X2-- We have a 30 ft Bullet TT with an 11 ft single slideout that fits virtually every campground . Over 32 ft can get you restricted on many State and National Parks
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BizmarksMom wrote:
25' ball to bumper is the maximum length I will go. Anything longer than that will not fit into some of the boondock sites I like. The bonus is that I fit everywhere else with no issues.

I come from a backpacking background, and spend the majority of my time outside of the trailer. I don't care about television sight lines (there's no tv) or recliners (I'm outside until it's time to turn in).

Nash 22H (in your sig) is an awesome floor plan.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
The smallest you can get away with but no bigger than 35 and ideally 25-30.

Which is the length of most Caravans In Australia

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
coloelk wrote:
Interesting answers, thanks. one of the reasons for the question is looking into new trailers, I like the amentaties of the longer ones, and have been talking to one manufacturer about trying to condense some of those features into a shorter unit. I realize you give up something to get something, but I think a critical look at the design of layouts could be done that would make more people happy.

If they could condense those features, they would have long ago. Your average RV is already pretty condensed.

The problem with too much condensation is you have to do a lot of rearranging each day. A lot of the small RV's have tables that turn into beds but it takes 10min in the morning and evening to reset them and the results are often worse in both states.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
I like a max of 25 feet. The masimum width should be 8 feet.
Then you have a good chance to fit most places.
My pick up is 24 feet long. By adding a trailer 25 feet long that is 49 feet, longer than a lot of Class A and 5ers.

Your truck has an 11’ bed?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold