Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What is the max length travel trailer you think is practical
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What is the max length travel trailer you think is practical

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
archbarb

SE Georgia/Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/18 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 36', and for us it's the perfect size. We have yet had issues getting into sites. On the other hand we have friends that have 41-42' and they have had several issues in making reservations.

2Rad4U

I'm to young to be a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/18 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do mostly state parks and we found a perfect floor plan @ 30'.

No issues with site selection, towing, backing, etc so far, but we know of a few parks that 30' will be pushing it.

I would not go larger, but that's just me.

Chris
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

evanrem

WI

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/18 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The smallest you can get away with but no bigger than 35 and ideally 25-30.

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/18 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow the TT in sig. Most state parks tell me I need to be under 50' over all to use their sites or park off site. This has never been a problem as I back as far in as practical and I'm good to go.

Over swing on this 32' hitch to bumper can be critical in some of the small fuel stops I've made. Never been wedged, but close at times.

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/18 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For towability, there really isn't an absolute limit on length, you just have to set your hitch up right. If you want to fit into state parks and especially national parks, I would stay around 25' ball to bumper. More than that and you can find yourself limited on site choices.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/18 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailer_newbe wrote:

My wife and I have traveled all over Arizona and Colorado with the below rig. Overall length is 33.5’, and so far no real issues with campsites.

same here
our first TT was 33ft bumper to bumper with one living room slide.

we used it for 18 months. we live in nc and have been from nc mountains to the coast, niagara falls/candada to savanah georgia and lots of points in between. we stay at state parks, private campgrounds, koas,

never had a problem with sites and or towing. (f250 truck) but i always plan ahead for reservations

last month DW decided she wanted more space so traded in the 33ft for a 37ft TT. love it and tows as well as the 33ft.

the one thing to always keep in mind is that my f250 is a gasser so gas stops do take some planning.. usually i start looking when im down to 1/4 tank.

leftyCE

Minot ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/18 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say 35 feet. But occasionally you have to scout ahead to make sure you can fit into places.

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/18 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting reading the answers to your post with quite a number of them pinging the 25' range (not always clear if they mean box length or total length though).

I think it really depends:
- what you expect your "camping experience" to be like (i.e.; are you happy sitting at the dinette all the time or do you "want" a separate seating area).
- how many people (don't forget visitors and pets) and how much "personal space" (i.e.; privacy) you want.
- where you want to go (boondocking, public CG's, private CG's)
- the season and how much time you intend to spend inside vs. outside.
- how flexible with travel plans you want to be.
- the floor plan of the trailer (one big open space vs. interior walls).
- what you are lucky enough to find when shopping.
- many other variables that I can't think of right now.

Our 22' box (with one slide) trailer has no room dividers (except the bathroom of course). And we find that about half the time it is either too big or too small with the the other half of the time being just right (sort of like the three bears story). Of course, this may change as we get older and/or we stop preferring to boondock, but for now, this length works well for us (keep in mind that we are backpackers and rafters so are comfortable living with less).

It is interesting to see that our trailer length jives about right with my earlier observation on the ~25' length being the most often mentioned in the responses to your post.

My guess though is that, whatever length you eventually do get, you will conclude that it is perfect.....for you. Happy shopping.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/18 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welp you got answers from 17-40’, because that’s pretty much all the sizes made!
If the perfect size was all within a foot or 2 then there would only be like 2 sizes available!

Like others said, it 100% depends on what your wants, needs and preferences are. Fitting in a state park or NP is only a couple of the considerations.
This is like asking what color truck should I buy!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

38' has worked fine for me. I take it on forest service lands mostly, so it can be a tight squeeze. State parks are a breeze on comparison. I do have to under report when making reservations, which works fine since spaces are listed by paved length, but hanging over the back of the space is rarely a problem. Most parks have site pics, so I can make sure there's not a fire pit or tree immediately behind the space. My van has a very tight turning circle (40') so that helps immensely. This much trailer would be much harder to bring into tight spots with a crew cab long bed pickup.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What is the max length travel trailer you think is practical
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS