Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Drones
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Drones

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atreis wrote:

I fly racing quads. Nothing at all like camera quads. These DON'T fly themselves. I also have a camera quad - a Phantom - for checking out the fence line on the fields. It doesn't get a lot of use. Compared to the racers, it's boring.

Some things to keep in mind:

NOTE: Current rules apply only to quads that weigh 250 grams or more when in flight trim. New rules will apply to all quads and their flyers.

The FAA website is still showing the 0.55 lb and above criteria for registering a drone. Do you know when the new rule requiring registration for drones under 0.55 lbs becomes effective?

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2edgesword wrote:

.....Do you get hassled by the authorities for flying in a local park or large empty parking lots when no one is around?

No not at all. I'm flying low all the time and its obvious I'm not putting anyone at risk. If people do show up, I shift to another spot or quit entirely.
But then I fly in the South mostly and folks here tend to be friendlier or at least a bit more Live and Let Live.

fwiw, RMRC has a fantastic starter deal that I wish was available when I got into quads. The Fatshark box goggles in particular are astonishingly good for the price. I actually bought this package deal and put it up for a future backup or to give as a gift if any relative takes to the hobby.
https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/fatshark-rtf-votrex-150-starter-bundle-recon-goggles?utm_source=All+RMRC+Customers&utm_campaign=41db0287db-Email+154+-+Multirotor+Madness&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_79eb0f9c30-41db0287db-143161041&mc_cid=41db0287db&mc_eid=795e8cada5
236 with the coupon but youll still need batteries and a charger. But its the best price option for a hi quality starter kit imo.

lj2654

Weeki Wachee, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. I don't get to fly it as often as I would like. The Florida State Parks have a no fly restriction, as does the military base we are staying at till the end of January. Hopefully as we travel North this spring and summer I will find some place to fly a bit.

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, included in the bill is a requirement that ANYONE flying a drone pass a aeronautical knowledge test...

(g) AERONAUTICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SAFETY TEST.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this section, the Administrator, in consultation with manufacturers of unmanned aircraft systems, other industry stakeholders, and community-based organizations, shall develop an aeronautical knowledge and safety test, which
can then be administered electronically by the Administrator, a community-based organization, or a person designated by the Administrator.

As stated the test has to be developed within 180 days so at some point in the next year everyone that wants to legally fly a drone will have to take and pass this test. If the current Part 107 test (commercial drone pilots) is a guide it will include airspace regulations, communications, chart reading, elements of aerodynamics and weather.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2edgesword wrote:

BTW, included in the bill is a requirement that ANYONE flying a drone pass a aeronautical knowledge test...

(g) AERONAUTICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SAFETY TEST.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this section, the Administrator, in consultation with manufacturers of unmanned aircraft systems, other industry stakeholders, and community-based organizations, shall develop an aeronautical knowledge and safety test, which
can then be administered electronically by the Administrator, a community-based organization, or a person designated by the Administrator.

As stated the test has to be developed within 180 days so at some point in the next year everyone that wants to legally fly a drone will have to take and pass this test. If the current Part 107 test (commercial drone pilots) is a guide it will include airspace regulations, communications, chart reading, elements of aerodynamics and weather.

Honestly, I think that horse has already left the barn. Theres just too many hobbyists now. Regulators are years behind. Rules such as this will only be invoked when someone becomes a problem.

That said, I am a ham and completely legal. afaik, anyway.
The aim of gov seems to be to make everything illegal so they can tax, I mean fine you for it.

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Mavic Pro and really enjoy it. I only fly for fun and do not have the 107 license. I do use the drone to check the top of my camper (I don't climb on top as I'm a little heavy) for debris, etc. and can even blow leaves off the slide outs with it. You do have to be careful where you fly it as there are many places where it is illegal. I started flying with a cheap drone that did not have GPS and flew it a lot indoors. The range was so short and the camera was too cheap to get good photos so I ended up buying the Mavic Pro. It is a big step up from a $100 drone to a $1000 Mavic but well worth the price.

Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PenMan wrote:

I have a Mavic Pro and really enjoy it. I only fly for fun and do not have the 107 license. I do use the drone to check the top of my camper (I don't climb on top as I'm a little heavy) for debris, etc. and can even blow leaves off the slide outs with it. You do have to be careful where you fly it as there are many places where it is illegal. I started flying with a cheap drone that did not have GPS and flew it a lot indoors. The range was so short and the camera was too cheap to get good photos so I ended up buying the Mavic Pro. It is a big step up from a $100 drone to a $1000 Mavic but well worth the price.

I'll have to try blowing the leaves of the top of the RV when I get better at flying [emoticon].

I kind of, sort of understand the need to regulate as more and more people get into the hobby, fill the airspace and of course get he irresponsible folks that can't seem to keep the drone below 400' AGL and away for crowds of people. But the idea that you have to have a license to fly on your own property is a little much.

I'll also be interested to see what they come up with regarding a recreational license test and the cost versus the current 107 license. The 107 license is $150. I'm hoping they don't charge anywhere near that for the recreational license.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

I'm happy to help if you have further questions. Just post or PM me.

Does anyone have a drone that can deliver a case of beer from a local distributor to my house? [emoticon]

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

I'm happy to help if you have further questions. Just post or PM me.

Does anyone have a drone that can deliver a case of beer from a local distributor to my house? [emoticon]

Of course, but you'll have to fly the gauntlet of people trying to bring it down with shotguns.

[image]

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an aside - the insurance agent who used to work with our condo association got a drone a few years ago. He became so adept at doing roof inspections (or general inspections after hurricanes) with it, that he opened his own business simply providing aerial views of properties. When you start pondering "what could a drone do that would be helpful?" - the list starts to grow..... search-and-rescue comes to mind, for starters.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Drones
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.