cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel paint color, Ford dually

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to leave the chrome wheel liners off, and want to clean up the wheels a bit. The Ford grey color is a good match for my motorhome, and the wheels are in good condition except for the scratches where the wheel liners dug in all around the rear rims.

Anyone know if there's a rattle can wheel paint that matches the grey of the E450 wheels (2004 if that matters)? I see Ford Argent is available in VHT, but reading about it makes me think it's more for ralley wheels than our duallies. Not sure if they are the same color or not.

I'm not doing a full refinish, just sand and repaint with the rims still on the motorhome so decent color match is important. I'm not going for show quality, but do want them to look good from 10 feet. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v
10 REPLIES 10

macjom
Explorer
Explorer
If budget is not a concern, have them powdercoated instead. Will look great and more durable.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like the chrome wheel covers on our E450 Class C. However, I do have to use a regular trucker's angle-head inflation nozzle in order inflate the dually tires without having to remove the chrome covers.

Before doing away with the good looking chrome wheel covers, I'd replace all of the dually tire valve stems with these custom ones in order to make airing-up even easier while leaving the chrome wheel covers in place:
http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/kit5.html

Click on the tire image to get a closeup showing the valve stems peeking directly right out at you inline with the wheel covers surface for convenient airing-up of the rear duallies.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I too want to congratulate the OP on his decision to ditch the wheel covers/simulators. They are a major pain. This is a TRUCK, and while everyone wants their investment to look nice, don't let looks get in the way of practical.

Add some Alligator valve caps (fill thru caps, no need to remove) and get a 12 inch long Milton straight/back angle service chuck and a similar straight/back angle pressure gauge and you are all set.

I immediately removed the simulators from my View when I got it home, found a paint that closely matched the silver on the Mercedes wheels and touched them up and painted the hubs on the back axles black and installed the plastic MB front hub caps and enjoy the easy no hassles servicing.

Charles

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't blame you for ditching the chrome covers. Such a pain to to air up the the tires, I took them off my E350 work van, but I put up with them on my RV.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
I've decided to leave the chrome wheel liners off, and want to clean up the wheels a bit. The Ford grey color is a good match for my motorhome, and the wheels are in good condition except for the scratches where the wheel liners dug in all around the rear rims.

Anyone know if there's a rattle can wheel paint that matches the grey of the E450 wheels (2004 if that matters)? I see Ford Argent is available in VHT, but reading about it makes me think it's more for ralley wheels than our duallies. Not sure if they are the same color or not.

I'm not doing a full refinish, just sand and repaint with the rims still on the motorhome so decent color match is important. I'm not going for show quality, but do want them to look good from 10 feet. :B

Do it once and do it right. There are hundreds of wheel repair/refinishing shops in every major metro area. Google and YouTube are your friends. Why not use the standard silver finish paint that you see on most factory rims both steel and alloy? I would contact a local alloy wheel refurbishing shop and see what coatings they normally use. Wheels operate in a really tough environment and require a very durable coating if you want them to look good (from 10 feet) and last for any length of time.

Chum lee

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
It would be easy to paint all your wheels so they match using wheel paint available in auto parts stores. Or are you only doing one wheel and want it to match? I've had good luck with wheel paint from auto parts. Trailer wheels, truck steel wheels, classic car rally wheels. They all looked very good when done.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
That's the first I've heard regarding steel not working well with powder coating. I've personally had very good success with it.

However, I'm not going to be removing the tires (not even taking the wheels off the motorhome) so it's not an option.

I've had good luck with on-car wheel refinishing before, I did wheels on my Saab and Nissan last year with acceptable results. The key, of course, is finding the right color. It was easy with the Saab, the Nisan was a little trickier but I got close enough for a 20 year old pickup truck. :C

I'll probably pick up a can of the VHT Ford Argent Silver and try it out. If it's not close enough I'll look into local color matching.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
You might consider taking them off and have them powder coated in a color than inspires you.
I have done this with alloy wheels heavily damaged by salt. The powder coating process is very compatible with alloy materials. But powder coating steel items including steel wheels does not hold up nearly as well. Just look at your powder coated trailer hitch on your motor home. My trailer hitch rarely gets wet and never seen salt spray yet the black powder coat is failing.

A close friend of mine was in the body and fender business for over 40 years. He said powder coating steel and iron requires a very specific process for it to last. General powder coating practices look great for a very short time on iron & steel because they short cut the process.

I do NOT recommend powder coating steel wheels unless the company follows the right process....whatever that is.

Back to allow wheels.
Here is my "Before"

Here is my "After"
Cost: $50/wheel at CPC Powder Coatings in Crest Hill, IL
I also sand blasted & painted the calipers and replaced the pads & rotors.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Sacramento there is a paint store that can color match your paint and put it into a rattle can which has avery nice nozzle. I'm thinking one could also treat the surface prior to painting with another material which will soften the old paint so that the new will adhere better. It's commonly used on door jambs and I don't recall the name. Maybe you can find a store that offers this stuff.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider taking them off and have them powder coated in a color than inspires you.