cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resealing the hatches

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to scrap off and use a wire wheel on the old cracked sealant, clean with denatured alcohol, then apply Dicor lap sealant.

Am I on the right track?
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath
8 REPLIES 8

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Keep the wire wheel away from anything. It will do more damage than good. On aluminum you stand the chance of starting corrosion when the steel particles from the brush become embedded in the aluminum. Otherwise it will chew the aluminum to shreds.

Charles

Sound advice.
Thank you.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the wire wheel away from anything. It will do more damage than good. On aluminum you stand the chance of starting corrosion when the steel particles from the brush become embedded in the aluminum. Otherwise it will chew the aluminum to shreds.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Boaters use butyl rubber tape to bed windows and hatches. It lasts longer than any other sealant/caulk.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
I always thought mineral spirits left a residue. If Dicor recommends it, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Personally, I would not use a wire wheel or brush on an aluminum roof.

I always thought that too but it seems to work great and it leave the roof super clean. Once the smell is gone, the slipperyness seems to be gone too.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought mineral spirits left a residue. If Dicor recommends it, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Personally, I would not use a wire wheel or brush on an aluminum roof.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I believe the instructions for Dicor say to use Mineral Spirits but acetone would work too. Alcohol just isn't strong enough to cut any remaining residue.
Unless the surface is aluminum, don't use a wire brush.

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I just use a heat gun (on low) and a plastic scraper to remove the old caulk. I would not use a wire wheel or brush, it could damage the surface.
If the old caulk is solid, I don't remove it. I just remove the loose stuff, clean well and apply the new sealant.
I use acetone to clean the surface,

Thank you.
I forgot to mention my roof is aluminium.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I just use a heat gun (on low) and a plastic scraper to remove the old caulk. I would not use a wire wheel or brush, it could damage the surface.
If the old caulk is solid, I don't remove it. I just remove the loose stuff, clean well and apply the new sealant.
I use acetone to clean the surface, alcohol will do the job.