Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Would you buy diesel again?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Would you buy diesel again?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMS Beagle wrote:

While it makes no economic sense, the power is hard to say no to. So yes, I'd only look at diesel again.

As I said, I am still buying diesels with not too many drive miles out if sentiment, but over the decades I did it, I saved tens of thousands dollars doing so.
If you drive a lot, grab a pen and paper and calculate total cost to drive 300,000 miles in the same truck comparing diesel to gasser.
Diesel will always win hands down even in times when price gouging makes the fuel more expensive than gasoline.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/18 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a new york minute

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

The downhill braking provided by an exhaust brake is similar to the gas engine’s with its throttle closed. It’s just shutting off the air post-engine rather than pre-engine.

I would get a gas truck if I buy a new one. They’ve regulated the economy out of new diesels.

Depends on the exhaust brake system. On a gasser, you only get the difference between a vacuum and ambient air pressure: 14.2 psi at most. On some diesel exhaust brakes, the exhaust pressure is up to 40+ psi, so you've got 40-14.2 or 25.8 psi. Almost double. My 6.7 ******* better downhill than any gasser I have owned.

Also, my 2015 6.7 gets identical mileage to my 1999 7.3 driven the same way with the same camper on the back. And yet has about twice the power.

The downsides of diesel are:

* Capital cost
* Repair complexity and expense, should it be needed
* Reduction in payload

The upsides are:

* Fuel economy
* Power
* Power
* Power

When the first Cummins were out I had a V10 Dodge and I used to laugh at them huffing and smoking and snorting up grades when I passed them. But times have changed. I've yet to find a freeway grade that the 6.7 won't pull, fully loaded, without downshifting or strain of any kind.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Kayteg1,

I have had the exact opposite experience. My diesel class C had minor and sometimes major issues on most trips. Average cost was $0.37 per mile for maintenance. That was not counting tires, brakes or other "consumable" items.

My current gas class C has had one mass air flow sensor replaced in over 110,000 miles.

Kayteg1 wrote:

As I said, I am still buying diesels with not too many drive miles out if sentiment, but over the decades I did it, I saved tens of thousands dollars doing so.
If you drive a lot, grab a pen and paper and calculate total cost to drive 300,000 miles in the same truck comparing diesel to gasser.
Diesel will always win hands down even in times when price gouging makes the fuel more expensive than gasoline.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it was the old rotary injection pump system with mechanical injectors yes, but not this newer common rail fuel system where an engine can go in as little as 100,000 miles if you neglect to change electronic injectors on time.

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest beef with Diesel is the better than even chance you get it on your hands and feet when fueling. As I shop for a new Diesel truck, my wife reminds me how I bitched about diesel everywhere at most pumps. My old Solera needed fuel every 200ish miles. I look forward to having closer to 400 miles between fill ups.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

Dennis12

Ridgeley WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you WORK your truck often enough yes i would own diesel. If not definitely not. Cost of the engine, cost of the fuel compared to gas. Still own both, My opinion.

Dennis Hoppert

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not unless I'd be pulling over 10,000 lbs. The newer emissions type diesels can be problematic with higher maintenance costs especially compared to the older ones . Depending on where you live, diesel can be considerably more costly to buy and the driving economy is offset by this and the initial premium to buy the diesel. My calculations showed cost per mile to drive was only one cent per mile in favor of the diesel. But when I factor in the higher maintenance costs (oil changes and fuel filters) and minor inconveniences like DEF and fuel additives in cold climates, longer engine warm ups and regen idiosyncrasies, the temperamental nature of the emissions system components as well as simply finding diesel in remote places, I favor the gas engine technology especially with the large displacement engines producing well over 400 HP and sufficient torque to do the job. And let's face it, in 50,000 miles how much of that is actually utilizing the engine braking advantage of the diesel ?

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/18 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonDockin wrote:

My biggest beef with Diesel is the better than even chance you get it on your hands and feet when fueling. As I shop for a new Diesel truck, my wife reminds me how I bitched about diesel everywhere at most pumps. My old Solera needed fuel every 200ish miles. I look forward to having closer to 400 miles between fill ups.

What IS the story with this?

Seems like diesel people (probably in commercial vehicles) are just slobs.

They get it all over the ground, on the handle, on the pump itself.

I don't spill it. Who does?

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/18 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoonDockin wrote:

I have driven a diesel since 2010. Never had an issue with fuel spilling on my hands or feet or anywhere else. I get better mileage with diesel and hence have a longer cruising range.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Would you buy diesel again?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.