cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Leak UPDATE FIXED!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hello all. I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas. Looking forward to the new year. To end this year, my coach decided to present me with a new problem. One that I need to fix ASAP. When the coach is idling, in drive, I am losing air pressure. Idling in gear at 5mph for a couple blocks and I will lose about 30psi. Driving at speed and the compressor keeps the air up but stopping at traffic lights and I can see the pressure begin to drop. I've blasted what fittings I have found and have located 5 small leaks which I will fix. The sixth is a pinhole in the front air tank so that will have to be replaced. None of these leaks are sufficient to cause the air pressure drop I'm experiencing. Further investigation revealed a possible culprit but I'm not sure how to proceed. With the coach idling, in gear, parking brake set, I can hear air escaping from the door air seal. I assume, (yeah, I know what that means) the air seal allows the psi to drop. What I don't know is how to trouble shoot it. So far, I've found no one that is familiar with how this seal works. I would guess there is a solenoid somewhere that controls it. Again, I assume it would have to be adjustable in order to control the psi to that seal but I could be wrong. I put a call into Monaco but I was 15th in cue so I left a voice mail and am waiting for them to call back. If anyone here who has had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
46 REPLIES 46

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone dealing with an air leak, a child's hearing can hear them much better than an adult.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Alright! A lot more peace of mind now to boot.
Wildmanbaker

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Took the coach in today to have it 'fixed'. Technician spent time going over the coach from stem to stern. Found several air hoses with leaks, one pretty large. Tightened up all fittings and replaced four hoses. No pin hole in air tank, leak was at the fitting. Total cost was $700 but the coach is 100% now. I repaired the door seal myself and it's not leaking either. I'm a happy camper again.....thanks to everyone who responded to my posting. You guys are tops with suggestions and ideas....Dennis

Glad you got everything fixed. The number of problems suggests that the system has been deteriorating over time. Everyone with air brakes should perform a pre-trip inspection regularily which will identify problems early before they become a potential safety issue. Truckers do one every day (or are supposed to). I have attached a link to a pre-trip I adapted for an RV from the standard commercial vehicle one.

http://www.visualsc.com/air_brakes.pdf
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great news! Thanks for the follow up.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Took the coach in today to have it 'fixed'. Technician spent time going over the coach from stem to stern. Found several air hoses with leaks, one pretty large. Tightened up all fittings and replaced four hoses. No pin hole in air tank, leak was at the fitting. Total cost was $700 but the coach is 100% now. I repaired the door seal myself and it's not leaking either. I'm a happy camper again.....thanks to everyone who responded to my posting. You guys are tops with suggestions and ideas....Dennis

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have welded a number of air tanks that had developed leaks. Unless it is an ASME coded tank, you would be surprised on how thin some of them are, especially small tanks. I have even converted hot water tanks into air tanks. Hot water tanks have a working pressure of 150, and burst pressure of 300 psi. I only used the non-glass lined ones.
Wildmanbaker

MrWizard
is the tank Aluminum or steel, Aluminum doesn't rust
weld and be done
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I would also get an after market tank. they do come in all sizes, But I would not weld the old tank. the interior condition is a big unknown.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, I would measure up the tank and available space and try any major truck distributor. Air tanks are air tanks and maybe I'm wrong but $1300 sounds a little high. Good luck, Don.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the up-date. As suggested, I think I would consider welding the tank too. Best of luck ๐Ÿ™‚

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, if it were me, I would take the tank to a welding shop and get it repaired at a much lower price, and within a week. Just sayin.
Wildmanbaker

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If anyone is subscribed to this thread, I've got an appointment on January 25th to have the coach diagnosed. If it's a parking brake diaphram, they have those in stock and/or get them locally. The air tank is still available from REV at a cost of almost $1300 and an 8 week lead time..:E I'll post more as info becomes available. Thanks....Dennis

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
slickest1 wrote:
An easy way to check for the parking brake is to build up the air shut the engine off put chocks or blocks in front and rear of wheels release the park brake and just walk around and listen. You will hear the air leak from outside without going under.

Tried that this morning but couldn't hear any air leaking, even with the hearing aids fully charged. Since I will be having the air tank replaced, I'll just let the mechanic find out what's going on. They are two weeks out so I'll rest this post and update once I've gotten the coach back.....Dennis

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dennis , These guys have made seals for me if you do not find one.

Roger Anderson
Dynamic Rubber, Inc.
131 Garlisch Drive
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
randerson@dynamicrubber.com

Gene