cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery replacement time

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
My batteries have finally died on my weekend warrior FS3000. It currently has 2 Napa 12v grp24s. Hooked to solar charger and a onan5500.

I'm considering either going to grp27 12v or making the switch to 2 (for now, eventually 4) 6v GC2 batteries.

I'm looking for opinions or recommendations for both, which would you do and why?

Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
2-6V Golf cart batteries will be the most popular answer because they are the most readily available, true deep cycle battery and a large improvement on available Amp Hours than most 12v options.

I went with Trojan 12v T1275's to get the benefit of them being 12v but also the deep discharge/large AH capacity of golf cart batteries. Little more expensive but will allow me to have to run the genny a little less often, especially considering I have a 11cf Residential fridge in my toyhauler that runs on an inverter.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

mpoulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I like running the 6's, I have two in my Rage'n 40 footer it does fine.I agree that with the six volt they are designed to handle discharging better and charging compare to the 12 I plan on adding two more with solar because we too do a lot of dry camping. I also agree it's like the old war of Ford truck or Chevy truck. I have a buddy with a 40 toy hauler and runs nothing but 12's, Interstate I think they are the best and that's what I run. Just my two cent's!

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
I have Costco batteries. They are the low-end Interstate batteries. The 6V GC2 batteries from Costco have a 1 year warranty. I have 2 pairs of them on my Toy Hauler. They are over 4 years old. I have four 100 watt solar panels. When dry camping (which is always) I start the morning off with the Onan generator for the coffee maker, this gives the initial charge to the batteries after running the heater all night long. The solar does the final charge during the day. The older lead acid batteries get the more water they require so you have to check them more often. Monthly I add water. I installed a watering system on the batteries as they are hard to get to. The watering system replaces the caps with a cap with a float on it. You hook tubes between the caps of the batteries and then there is a single hookup when you want to add water to all the batteries.

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Costco Batteries and I love the warranty. I have taken them back and there is no questions, just replacement. We dry camp often and have no problems with 2 12v. With everything running inside the batteries will die after 2 days with no additional power but we use the microwave and tv so the little Honda runs which charges everyday along with our Onan to run the coffee pot and microwave. I have received batteries that didn't make it a year from Costco and others that have lasted years.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
No one can make recommendations without really knowing how you plan on using the camper. Do you boondock often? If so, for how long? And what kinds of things do you want to run (and how long)?

A cheap and simple 12v battery may suffice. Or at the other extreme, you may want to look at investing in a lithium battery bank.

Toy hauler, so cal, mostly all boondocking but we run our generators quite a bit.

I'm like Linkster, 2x6v Costco. I've had two or three sets, they work fine for me.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
No one can make recommendations without really knowing how you plan on using the camper. Do you boondock often? If so, for how long? And what kinds of things do you want to run (and how long)?

A cheap and simple 12v battery may suffice. Or at the other extreme, you may want to look at investing in a lithium battery bank.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I have been running 2 6V's on my Warriors since 2002. I get about 5 years out of a set.
Get them at Costco.
I can run the furnace all night set at 70F, while it is 38 outside, and I am still on Yellow in the morning.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
go lithium if you can..I have one lithium with one 210 solar panel and im very happy with it
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
GC2s should last longer and will store more energy. Also GC2s can be discharged to a lower SOC than your current batteries.

Overall, GC2 batteries are your "best bang for the buck" !

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
I have (4) 6v GC costco I just upgraded to 4 of them from (2) 6v costco I believe they are a good budget battery. I have used them with two different RV and over 11 years and been very happy. I also think your question will get a ton of opinions Its like asking what truck is better? Hahahahaha

I figured, and thats what I want. On a facebook group I got about even with people saying stay 12v and people saying switch to 2x6v. Most our camping is dry. But even with the batteries I had, we never didnt have power. Between the Solar and the generator, the batteries were always full it seemed, even when out for 5 days.

ALl my interior lights are LED, use the water pump only when needed. I dont have a inverter, so to run anything else the generator is on.

PyroTekRob
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Interstate.

6v or 12v? Costco has Interstate.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I have (4) 6v GC costco I just upgraded to 4 of them from (2) 6v costco I believe they are a good budget battery. I have used them with two different RV and over 11 years and been very happy. I also think your question will get a ton of opinions Its like asking what truck is better? Hahahahaha
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Interstate.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB