Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Changing tires on flipped triple axle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

 > Changing tires on flipped triple axle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Rockinfigs

So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a triple axle toy hauler and it came with flipped axles..How do you change tires on the center axle? Bottle jack? If so do i lift it on the frame since there is no good spots on the axle since its flipped and the ubolt plate is on top.


2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800

eHoefler

ozark mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 10/22/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Place your bottle jack directly under the U-bolt.


2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

ependydad

Here and there

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 12/31/18 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eHoefler wrote:

Place your bottle jack directly under the U-bolt.


That's how I do it:
[image]


2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page


George3037

Central Square, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a $30 portable 2 ton floor jack available from Harbor Freight or most any hardware store. I've had a bottle jack kick out too many times due to weight shifting while lifting under a round axle. The floor jack is small and light enough to carry in my storage compartment and feel it is much safer.

firemedic1992

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 03/25/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have the Lippert auto level feature (6 hydraulic jacks)?
If so I’d lift the trailer with the jacks to change the tire.

Rockinfigs

So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

George3037 wrote:

I use a $30 portable 2 ton floor jack available from Harbor Freight or most any hardware store. I've had a bottle jack kick out too many times due to weight shifting while lifting under a round axle. The floor jack is small and light enough to carry in my storage compartment and feel it is much safer.


Yeah I was leaning towards the floor jack idea because of the reason u mentioned the surface of the bottle jack on the curved axle I don't feel safe. Is the 2 ton jack enough to lift the axle?

Rockinfigs

So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

firemedic1992 wrote:

Do you have the Lippert auto level feature (6 hydraulic jacks)?
If so I’d lift the trailer with the jacks to change the tire.


Yes I do.. I have the 6 point hydraulic... I also thought about this but I thought I read somewhere not to use it to change tires..

George3037

Central Square, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 11/29/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rockinfigs wrote:

George3037 wrote:

I use a $30 portable 2 ton floor jack available from Harbor Freight or most any hardware store. I've had a bottle jack kick out too many times due to weight shifting while lifting under a round axle. The floor jack is small and light enough to carry in my storage compartment and feel it is much safer.


Yeah I was leaning towards the floor jack idea because of the reason u mentioned the surface of the bottle jack on the curved axle I don't feel safe. Is the 2 ton jack enough to lift the axle?


I last used one on mine to replace tires. I only have a double axle but empty weight of my TT is 7269 lbs. Loaded weight is 11,170. With the 2T jack I'm not lifting the entire TT, only lifting an axle with some trailer weight high enough to get the wheel off.

firemedic1992

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 03/25/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 12/31/18 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rockinfigs wrote:

firemedic1992 wrote:

Do you have the Lippert auto level feature (6 hydraulic jacks)?
If so I’d lift the trailer with the jacks to change the tire.


Yes I do.. I have the 6 point hydraulic... I also thought about this but I thought I read somewhere not to use it to change tires..


Is the trailer still under warranty?

I’ve done it to change all 4 tires on my toy hauler (upgraded to G rated over E rated).
Find a safe spot.
Trucks E brake on

If the location is not level, eg crown of the roadway, you may need some additional blocks under the jacks.
Trailer stays hooked up
Turn on the LevelUp, and access "manual mode"
Lower all 4 rear jacks until they just bottom out.
Alternate left and right sides to start raising the trailer.

The system will not allow raising out of side to side level more then about 2.5 degrees, that is one of the reasons for alternating.

If you can't get the lift because of the crown, then that is why you need the extra blocks.
On level ground you could expect to raise the tires off the ground Indy "style". That is four jacks all the way down and tires 4-6" off the ground.

I would suggest giving this a try long before you actually need to do it for real. Find an empty parking lot that is level.

As for all the naysayers about how dangerous it is, or catastrophic failures etc, it is no different then using any procedure to try and lift any trailer.
And IMHO, it is a much safer way.

Besides, even if the levelUp were to fail at the time you have the bad tire off, it will still have 3 tires (or 5 with a larger TH) to keep things up right.

I’m sure I’ve read somewhere the system is capable of lifting 30,000 lbs, I’m sure it’s Lipperts way of avoiding any liability if you do it and something goes wrong. Just be safe!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 12/31/18 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rockinfigs wrote:

George3037 wrote:

I use a $30 portable 2 ton floor jack available from Harbor Freight or most any hardware store. I've had a bottle jack kick out too many times due to weight shifting while lifting under a round axle. The floor jack is small and light enough to carry in my storage compartment and feel it is much safer.


Yeah I was leaning towards the floor jack idea because of the reason u mentioned the surface of the bottle jack on the curved axle I don't feel safe. Is the 2 ton jack enough to lift the axle?
A 2-ton bottle jack on the middle axle of a triple axle isn't strong enough to lift the axle without a very large cheater bar, and I wouldn't even try it. I use a 10-ton bottle jack on my triple axle toyhauler and it works very well. I tried a 5-ton before that one, and it struggled to do the job.

And I jack on the U-bolt opposite the plate. No issues so far, but I've only done it a couple times.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

 > Changing tires on flipped triple axle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.