cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 GMC SIlverado Crew Cab Short Box

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Really got to see the potentials of a 2017 Sierra/Silverado 1500 Short Bed 5.5 ft bed. It had kayak racks loaded, Harley Davidson 883 in bed with rear wheel on tailgate. It was towing a 30 foot Jayco white hawk RLS with 2 bike rack strapped to rear bumper rack. WDH Reese straightline hitch was attached to 36 inch hitch extension to clear the tailgate down.

My mind is made up on the half ton truck do all!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt
8 REPLIES 8

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD POST^^^^^ I pull a 27' T/T with a gmc crew cab short box 5.3 and have no problems at all, pulls great. just went 7000 mi. to Alaska and I couldn't ask for anything better. a 6.0 engine would be nice but I don't really need one. if I towed all the time then yes maybe. I like 20 + mpg I get on the h-way when not towing. when in Canada and crossing the mountains I could blow buy my B/Ls 40' diesel pusher.
As for the Harley, I would have pulled the front wheel and blocked the frame at the rear then pulled the tailgate off. he could have then probably used a standard w/d hitch.
Jay D.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Or a 6.5' bed.
Agree, it sounds like the guy was overloading g the truck. Especially with respect to a 3' hitch extension.
My takeaway aside from, yeah, it doesn't sound great, is that 1/2 tons don't automatically perish under a load greater than a sack of groceries like many on here purport.
Again at the same time, sounds like that truck was getting rode hard and put up wet and even my non "weight cop" tendencies would have stopped before adding a 3' hitch extension.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The 2017 1500 chevy crew cab has a 5" 8" bed.

If the truck had the NHT tow package it comes with a 7600 gvwr and 4300 lb rawr. And it may have had the 6.2 420 hp/460 torque 6 or 8 speed tranny 3.73 axle with 11k lb tow rating.
I would reserve judgement on the 36" hitch extension and how it was fabricated to the the trucks main frame rails.
I wouldn't make a comment on how the combo handles or if it was a overload condition without any weight numbers or knowing how the combo pulls and all the other mechanical particulars or the mental capacity of the owner. Just another looky what I saw/bash post.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

womps
Explorer
Explorer
That’s not even a good tow vehicle towing that load if that’s all you were doing is moving to a different spot in the same campground!! Why not just tow it with the Harley and leave the truck at home.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I didn’t have my phone on me to take a picture. The biggest menace was a 7500 pound trailer on a 36” extension bar. I wanted to get out to see how well the 883 was strapped down.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
A truck with a 5.5 foot bed is a complete joke. And this is coming from a man who has owned no less than 3 "shortbed" trucks over the last 20 years. Don't even get me started on towing a 30 foot travel trailer behind a 1/2 ton truck with a 600 pound motorcycle in the bed, especially with the added leverage of a hitch extension. That person is a menace to himself and everyone else on the highway.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What was the 2017’s payload?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
???
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold