cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel delivery issue

alscrimp
Explorer
Explorer
I have been fighting a fuel delivery issue for a year. I was given a 1986 Ford Holidaire motorhome that is in excellent condition. Both fuel tanks and pumps have been replaced. The problem I have is when I put the gas pump nozzle in to fill the tank it immediately shuts off and spills gas out! In order for me to fill I have to feather the gas nozzle to run very slowly. Needless to say this makes for a very long fill time as I have both tanks to fill. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Look to see if there is a hose that connects near the top of the gas tank and near the top of the filler tube. If so look to see if it has a sag in it that would hold a gas much like a trap in a sink drain, if so do something to eliminate the sag. That hose is for vent the tank, and the sag holds gas and plugs the vent.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a metal flapper in the filler pipe to prevent fuel spitting back out the filler pipe. These sometimes break off and restrict the filler pipe.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO, you have a problem with your vapor recovery system. It’s possible that you saturated the charcoal bed. It’s also possible that your vapor return from the fill pipe edge to the tank is plugged or the line kinked.

Its probably best to not overfill your tank when you do fill up. When it clicks 'off' do not choke it to try to add another 1/2 gal .

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
check the fill hose, could have a kink in it.

I have no experience with issue.
To add to the above quote, could there be a vent hose/line/breather that could be kinked or plugged?
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
check the fill hose, could have a kink in it.